BUG: -- in markdown note replaced by —

411pass
411pass
Community Member
edited December 2018 in Mac

If you try to type -- (double dash) in a markdown note it gets replaced by — (long dash character). This is very annoying when typing commands in a note that use --flags, e.g. ls --color

Can it be disabled or if it's a bug can you please fix it? There's no need for this kinds of smarts in particular when using `` or ``` in markdown to quote code.

1Password Version: 7.2.2
OS Version: macOS 10.14.2

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

I'm not seeing this, @411pass .

Perhaps you have some auto-corrections occurring, or keyboard text mappings?

Is the correction occurring immediately as you type, or after you've saved the note?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2018

@411pass ,

Check out your Use smart quotes and dashes setting in System Preferences > Keyboard > Text.

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Ah, thank you! I thought that could be it and tried it in other apps and text editors and it didn't do it, so I assumed it was a 1Password feature. Though not sure how other apps are turning it off, 1Password might want to do the same in the note context in particular when code is quoted.

I also moved to a new Mac recently and it seems the data and settings transfer from the old one didn't include this setting that apparently I turned off on the old Mac many years ago :(

Sorry for the false alarm and thanks for your help!

Happy Holidays!

• Thanks for the assist @MrC. @411pass If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.