Change Vault Password on Windows 1Pv7? [Coming soon]

ElOperador
ElOperador
Community Member
edited December 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

As far as I can tell, there's no way to change my master password on a local (folder sync'ed) vault in 1Password for Windows v7. Is that correct?

Seems like a pretty basic feature missing?

Thanks -- and thanks for (finally) bringing back folder sync to Windows. Using 1Password 4 was getting pretty old.

1Password Version: 7.1.756
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Google Drive

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ElOperador: You're welcome! Glad you're enjoying 1Password 7! But indeed, Master Password changes aren't supported directly within the app yet. Generally we don't recommend changing it anyway unless it's weak or has been compromised, but if you're in one of those situations I'll be happy to walk you through getting setup with a better one.

• ElOperador
    ElOperador
    Community Member

Hi @brenty. My master password is the same as my work password -- and (unfortunately) my employer requires that I change it at least every 40 days; so I'd like to keep them the same. Hopefully it will get added back soon? This is pretty easy to do with 1Password 7/Mac, and I believe 1Password 4/Win. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ElOperador: Ouch. Honestly, I'm not sure when exactly this will be added, but it's definitely on our todo list. But ultimately that doesn't change the advice I'm going to give you anyway: don't use the same password as what you have for work.

If you're talking about a Master Password for a 1Password Business account, generally we recommend using the same Master Password if you have other 1Password.com accounts. But for a shared work vault, that's different because others will need to know the Master Password.

I'm not sure that you actually fall into either category, but because of the 40 day requirement alone it's going to be nearly impossible for you to create a password for work that is both strong and easy to remember and type. Humans require time to really get things memorized and develop muscle memory, and they're just not giving you much to work with in that department. They're just encouraging you to use something weaker. So what I'd suggest is creating a good strong password for work and not remember it: save it in 1Password, protected by a long, strong, unique Master Password that you don't use for anything else and don't change so you can remember it and get used to typing it.

You're right that it's easy to change the Master Password for a vault in 1Password for Mac though, so if you're also using that you could change it there, reset the app on your PC, and then set it up with the vault using the new Master Password.

• sjeffers
    sjeffers
    Community Member

How do you change your password manually for the local client of 1Password? I never store things on the local, use the cloud, but need help to change it.

• Hi @sjeffers,

Thanks for writing in.

It is not implemented yet in 1Password 7, it is coming in an update soon. For now, you can download 1Password 4 for Windows, open the same vault in 1Password 4, unlock, and go to File Menu > Preferences > Security to change the vault password.

This discussion has been closed.