1Password for iOS Repetitively Asks for One Time Passcode

Options
JRDN
JRDN
Community Member

Hi there.

I recently upgraded to 1Password 7 and opted for the membership program. I enjoy 2 factor authorization so I quickly enabled that for my account.

However, every time I open the app on my iPhone 6s Plus, I keep getting a prompt to enter my 2FA code. So I go and enter it. Except within a matter of seconds the prompt comes back up. I'll re-enter the 2FA code (since the one time passcode is within 30 seconds anyways) and the prompt will disappear, but my 1Password entries will not sync.

I have 1Password on my Mac and it does not give any problems of syncing (it doesn't even ask for a prompt). If I sign completely out of 1Password online, it will prompt me for a 2FA code. I enter the code the same way, and within one shot, it works and signs me in. So this tells me that there must be some bug with 2FA on iOS (perhaps because I'm in trial mode?).

This has become very inconvenient and frustrating. Currently, as stated above, I'm in the trial mode of the 1Password membership but if this problem persists I will have no choice but to cancel it entirely.

And yes, I have enabled and disabled 2FA to see if things check out. They haven't. Disabling 2FA alleviates the problem, however, I prefer and do enjoy having 2FA enabled. Any help would be appreciated.

1Password Version: 7.1.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11.1.2
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Please update 1Password. We've made improvements to this to make it not mistake a connection issue for an authentication failure.

• JRDN
    JRDN
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

@brenty Thank you. Your information was correct.

Unfortunately, the highest version 1Password supports on iOS 11 is 7.1.1. This means I would have to update my iPhone to iOS 12 in order to upgrade 1Password. Since I don't plan on doing that (since iOS 12 is buggy and slows down my phone) I'm afraid I will not be able to update 1Password. I've gone ahead and disabled 2FA and will be cancelling my 1Password membership. Thanks for the help, sincerely :).

For those whom it may help:
    The reason why AgileBits (and any other company for that matter) does this (sets the minimum iOS version to be the latest version of iOS in order to download their app) is because of security reasons, apple pressuring developers, and upgrades to the app are simpler when you're focused on 1 iOS version rather than several. Coming from myself as a developer.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @JRDN. If you change your mind in the future we'll be here to help. For what it's worth, my experience with iOS 12 has been the opposite. It may be worth another shot.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JRDN: Thanks for the correction. You're absolutely right. Sorry about that. I misread the OS version, and actually remember thinking to myself that 12.1.2 seemed odd...but figured it was a beta I wasn't on or something. :blush:

I will say that I've also had a smoother experience with iOS 12 than previous releases, even since beta. But certainly with any release some people will have issues. I'm sorry if you've not only been unlucky enough to have trouble with the latest iOS release, but also with this odd issue with an earlier version of 1Password. Again, I apologize for the trouble, and I hope that you'll give it another go if and when you're able to update. Thank you for your comments.

This discussion has been closed.