Recovering my data after reinstallation

Options
Roman_101
Roman_101
Community Member

Dear support team,

Framing: I have two mac books (business + privat) and two more devices (iphone + ipad) I use with my 1password license. I have no data in the cloud and all synchronisation happens Wireless only.

Challenge: In the process of newly setting up my business laptop with MacOSMojave, my 1password data has also been deleted (please note I still have all data on my other 3 devices including a backup of 1P on my private macbook (v6.8.8.). However in order to use 1P on my business laptop again, I downloaded 1P from the app store (v7.2.2) and now I am insecure what to do next. Do I copy/paste the backup file from my private Macbook to my business Macbook to use it as a basis for recovering data? Where exactly would I locate that back up on my drive?

...and finally a general question as you are the experts. Would you advice me to use 1P in a slightly different set up to use it more efficiently in my environment across the mentioned devices (noting that I don't want my data in the cloud)

Thanks for your support,
Roman

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Roman_101: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! If you have your data on another device still, you just need to copy your data from there. Just keep in mind that WLAN Server only syncs data between a single computer and one or more mobile devices. Using a 1Password membership would be a lot less hassle. Is there a particular reason you're "cloud" averse?

• Roman_101
    Roman_101
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your fast reply Brenty. So basically I just copy/paste the file from the mac book (which has the data) to the mac book which has been reinstalled.

I am not happy with the Wlan Server data functionality, but I don't feel confident leaving all passwords in the cloud. I assume the classic fear, that someone who gets illegal cloud access will have all my passwords...

• Ben
    Options

@Roman_101

Not so. :) Your data is end-to-end encrypted. This means that your passwords aren't stored in a readible form on our servers. Someone would not only have to break in and steal the encrypted data but they would also have to steal your Master Password and Secret Key from you (we don't have those). Further details are available here:

About the 1Password security model

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Roman_101
    Roman_101
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hi Ben, ok. Makes sense, that seems very save. I test the 30 days solution, but I noticed that I have my data now on icloud and in addition I have a personal save. Do I need this? I just want to keep things simple and don't have family or so. Do I need a save? And if not, how can i get rid of the save. Thanks for your support!

• Ben
    Options

You should delete the "Primary" vault from iCloud once you've made the transition. :)

Ben

• Roman_101
    Roman_101
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure I made everything right.

On my macbook I currently have a vault named "personal" which currently has 0 objects which seems to be part of my personal account. In addition I have a section "In cloud" where all my data is still in. Do I need a membership where I pay a monthly fee to use the more comfortable icloud synchronisation? I also dont understand, do I have 2 masterpasswords now? 1 for logging into the app (as it used to be before I started the 30day test trial) and 1 for the new "personal" vault. If I just want one vault to be easily synched across all my devices what should I do? Sorry, I am lost... Thanks for your support

• Ben
    Options

@Roman_101

1Password membership is a replacement for syncing 1Password data via iCloud. Please see this guide:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#to-move-your-data-manually

Once completed you'll only have one Master Password: the one for your membership.

Ben

• Roman_101
    Roman_101
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben!

• Ben
    Options

You're welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.