Form fill no longer works with Tangerine.ca

fongd
fongd
Community Member

Since updating to 7.2.3.BETA-6, 1Password no longer fills in the forms when logging into Tangerine.ca. I've deleted and re-created the corresponding 1Password entries to no avail. This worked in previous versions (including perhaps a beta or two preceding BETA-6, but not sure!).

1Password Version: 7.2.3.BETA-6 (70203006)
Extension Version: 7.2.3.BETA-6
OS Version: 10.14.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

Yes it did work prior to this update
    it was broken with this latest update beta 6

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

hi @fongd and @gilles9

Could you guys be a little more specific, is this only happening in certain browsers? It should be identical but not everything is the same across them so it's possible it's limited to a single browser or it could be all of them.

I'm afraid I do not have a tangerine.ca account (I'm in the US) so I am not able to test this very easily but it does seem to fill the username portion in fine for me when I create a new login item. I am having difficulty with the PIN code part. Is this consistent with what you're seeing?

• fongd
    fongd
    Community Member

Hi @AGKyle,

Yes, it's the PIN entry that's broken. I primarily use Safari but this is also not working in Chrome either. Not sure what more detail you need, but all other intermediate forms seem to still work OK.

(FYI, Tangerine.ca's personal login process consists of two subforms - 1- personal client number, 2- PIN. The business login consists of three - 1- business client number, 2- client number, 3- PIN. In both cases, the PIN entry no longer works.)

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

@AGKyle

same as fongd
    I use Safari and tried Firefox, same problem
    I fixed it some times ago by creating a new login, no success this time
    and yes it is page 2 for entering the PIN number ( sometimes there is a page 2 for a secret question, then it is page 3 )

problems with this site were raised before in a previous post

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! I've filed a new report for this, it may get marked as duplicate but it'll get this in front of the eyes of our brain team who is responsible for filling related issues.

• firebeyer
    firebeyer
    Community Member

Hey @fongd and @gilles9,

I've reviewed the issue that Kyle submitted and am having issues recreating this with both an old item I had for Tangerine and a new one I just created.

Since this website uses multiple pages to sign in, can you please let me know if you're filling your login item again after the PIN page is presented and it's not working?

Also, should I be looking at a different login than this one?

Thanks for your help,

-Beyer

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Hello

I tried again with beta8
    I saved the manually entered password with "Save new Login"
    looking at the login, the password was saved in the UserID field in 1P, I moved it to the password field in 1P and now it works

I suppose it can work now

@firebeyer
    yes the login page link in your post is correct
    For the user ( first page) it works OK as I have a saved user the it brings me to the PIN (password) page, which is the one I had problem with non-filling

as stated above I managed to make it work
    ( I also understand that Tangerine uses the PIN field on their webpage as a "phone number" field which is not helping

• fongd
    fongd
    Community Member

Hi @firebeyer,

That's the correct login page but it's the PIN entry page not the first step where you enter the client number. (It doesn't seem you can bookmark that one directly.)

This worked for me before, but I've since deleted the original item (after I discovered it was no longer working) and re-created it at least twice (once with the previous beta, once with the latest version), but I still cannot get the PIN to autofill.

Since Tangerine presents two login forms, I have two separate login items: one to store my personal client number, one to store the PIN. (The business login presents three forms, so I have three separate logins for that.)

Unlike @Gilles9, re-creating the PIN login item still doesn't work for me with the latest version.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Thanks all.

We were able to duplicate this and the team in charge of our filling and saving code is aware of how to recreate the problem and have ideas for what fixes need to take place.

If you create an item by manually saving the username, and then editing that item to add the password it should work fine, at least it does for me. If I try to save a new login item on each page, this will break unless you edit the item, goto the web site form details area and then make sure the password field is the designated password (it'll have a Key icon next to the password). Either workarounds work here on my side

• fongd
    fongd
    Community Member

Thanks, @AGKyle, that workaround works for me for the personal banking login. However, it's a bit confusing for business logins since I have to save the first login form separately (for the business client number) before using this workaround to handle the subsequent two forms (authorized individual + PIN).

If there were a way to save everything in a single 1Password entry, that'd be great! (I think it used to work a long time ago in 1Password 5 or 6 but was subsequently broken… could've been changes that Tangerine née ING Direct made, though.)

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

@fongd

You could try editing the saved form details area to include the necessary information to fill into all the fields. You'll have to inspect the HTML on the page to find the id or name of the form field for each element and use that for the name portion of the field, then the contents you wish to fill into the value field. Then specify the appropriate field type. If it's a password field (i.e. shows up with asterisks) choose that. If it's a plain text field, choose that.

It may require fiddling about to make it work, but it is also possible it won't work at all.

• fongd
    fongd
    Community Member

@AGKyle yup, inspecting the HTML to get the ID of the business number works! I'm happy to now have everything consolidated into single 1Password items. Now hopefully this doesn't break in a future 1P update… ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Almost certainly not. A website update, on the other hand... :lol:

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Hi @fongd

Glad to hear you got it working. To add on to what Brenty said. We never intend to break something. But we also won't promise that something won't break. From the outside looking in it seems like 1Password might be a fairly simple program on the surface but under the hood it's doing a lot of things that aren't simple. The big one though that's relevant to this discussion is the filling and browser extension pieces.

You have a few options as a developer with this. First, you can hard code something so that the code knows exactly how to work with a particular site. This is a no win situation though, there are millions of sites out there, it's virtually impossible to make this work for every site. Second, you can try to generalize things, such that you try to write something that works for as many sites as possible by being generic and general purpose. The benefits are you probably get it right for a lot of sites out of the box, but it will break on sites that are fundamentally different or are doing strange things. The other third, but certainly not the last, would be a combination of the above. Which is kind of what we do.

The kicker of course is that when you try to make the general purpose filling stuff better, and it typically is when we make sweeping changes to improve it, there will undoubtedly be sites that will break due to this. It's sort of give and take. We hope that when we take we're giving more than we take. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

The other caveat here is that if we hardcode something to work for a specific site, if that site gets updated or changed to be different enough from when we hard coded support for it, then it could break.

The best we can hope for is that in general we are improving support for MOST sites and that when we break something our users tell us that we broke something and then we can take a look to see if it's easily fixable. It isn't always easy, and in some cases it's absolutely impossible to find a way to make it work.

I'm sure when you wrote what you wrote it was meant more tongue in cheek, but I wanted to clarify here that until you've tried to tackle filling into millions of web pages you have absolutely no idea how painstakingly complicated it can get. We want to make it so that our users never see problems, but perfection is not something that exists, but that doesn't mean we can't strive for it. So take this as a little bit of inside information into this area of 1Password. It may seem like something simple, but filling into webpages is an incredibly complicated situation and a constantly moving target. Our team is small, the number of websites out there dwarf our team, there's no way we can support everything but we're doing our best to support as many sites as reliably as possible and sometimes things will break as we try to improve it overall.

Hope that gives you some insight into things, perhaps it's more than you cared to know, perhaps it's not even something you cared to know about, but maybe someone else will find it valuable in that case :)

This discussion has been closed.