I don't (yet?) want 1PW7, but somehow I'm stuck in it and can't quit/delete it !

Options
PapaArt
PapaArt
Community Member

I think I clicked on a message saying I needed to add the Safari extension, then1PW7 downloaded and took over my Mac. Help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Don't (yet?) want 1PW7, but somehow I'm stuck in it and can't quit/delete it.

Comments

• PapaArt
    PapaArt
    Community Member
    Options

1Password 6
    Version 6.8.9 (689001)
    AgileBits Store

• PapaArt
    PapaArt
    Community Member
    Options

Note: I've now quit 1PW7 on both users, but it still can't be trashed -- says it's open!?

• PapaArt
    PapaArt
    Community Member
    Options

What a pain -- and why did that popup say I needed to install the extension anyway? (I already had the one for 1PW6.)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PapaArt - I'm sorry for the trouble. 1Password will not prompt you to install version 7 unless you have both a system that can run it and a 1password.com membership (because there's no charge for upgrading if you have a membership). If you have any other sort of setup (standalone), you wouldn't have been prompted to upgrade to 1Password 7. If you installed version 7 and no longer want it, you'll need to make sure you Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) -- simply clicking File > Quit won't do it, nor will ⌘Q. You'll also need to quit Safari, as in version 7.2 and later, the 1Password extension is built directly into the app itself, so it can't be deleted if Safari is still open. Hope that helps! :)

• PapaArt
    PapaArt
    Community Member
    Options

Perhaps not quitting Safari was the problem.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PapaArt - sounds like that could've been it, yes. This is one of the rough patches with recent changes: our users (heck, even ourselves) were used to the extension being a separate process from the actual 1Password app. In Safari 12, with Apple's new Safari App Extension format, this is no longer the case; the extension is part of the main app. There's no getting around it or anything to "fix" -- this is just the way it is now. But it means that if Safari is open, you can't upgrade or delete 1Password, and we all have to simply learn that. Glad I was able to point you in the right direction. :)

This discussion has been closed.