Why do logins appear on one site but not another?

Options
camner
camner
Community Member

I was trying to login to my Microsoft account, and called up 1P via the Share button, and got this:

Not only no matches, but there seemed to be no way to search among the logins I DO have (there’s one for Microsoft somewhere, but apparently not at the same domain I was logging in from). Notice at the bottom there are 3 buttons, for All, Cards, and Logins.

BUT, on another site, calling up 1P via the Share button came up with this:

This time, I could select logins and search there (there is a Logins button that didn’t appear last time).

The only difference I can see is that there WERE some matches on the second site, and not for the 1st.

Shouldn’t I be able to search my logins when there isn’t a matching login?

If I open the 1P app on an iOS device, I can search, of course, but I was already on the Microsoft site when I realized I had to login, and it didn’t seem to make sense to start over from the 1P app.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12
Sync Type: 1P

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@camner: 1Password only offers to fill logins whose URL matches the website you're on. It's an important security measure to protect against phishing scams. So, in the first example, I'm betting you don't have any logins saved with a "microsoftonline.com" URL. If your Microsoft login is saved with "microsoft.com" or "live.com" or "outlook.com", it won't be offered there. If you are sure you want to use it there, you can edit the login to add that URL. Just be sure that's what you want. On the other hand, your second example appears that you're at "lightroomqueen.com" and you have a login with that same URL, so that works.

Also, to answer the excellent question you asked:

Shouldn’t I be able to search my logins when there isn’t a matching login?

No. That would be an easy way for you to end up filling your live.com login at 1ive.com if you didn't notice that the second is an impostor site with a number one instead of a letter L.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty ,

It made sense that 1P wouldn’t offer up credentials as possiblities to fill in if there was no matching URL, I but couldn’t understand why I couldn’t search for a login, particularly since I knew there was one there.

But your explanation makes a lot of sense, darn it all!

Now that I think about it, it makes sense that if I open the 1P app first, then I can search for anything I want. Of course, I can still fall for a phishing scam that way, if I don’t see 1ive.com for what it is and insist on using the credentials I know I have for live.com, but hopefully the fact that I have to go to more trouble will give me pause.

Thanks for your quick response.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@camner: Glad to be able to clear that up. While it makes sense, I can also appreciate why it might not have been obvious to you. If you're like me and use 1Password on a computer a lot (or used to), you may also be used to opening 1Password mini and searching for whatever you want. You then select it and sign in...sort of. If the website doesn't match, 1Password will take you there, but it's easy to overlook that. It's pretty seamless. On iOS devices though, there isn't a way for 1Password (or any extension) to open a different website. I think there's good reason for that, and if you've ever experienced ad pop-ups I'm sure you'll immediately know why. But that's still different from how things work on a Mac, for example, so our expectations may be different too. it can be a bit off-putting because of that, but in the end it's one of the many reasons iOS security is so good, so I won't complain. Cheers! :)

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

I do use 1P much more often on my Mac(s) than I do in iOS, partly because often the user experience of the site I'm looking at is much better on a bigger screen and one can have multiple tabs open and go back and forth with ease, and partly because 1P is not as smooth in iOS due to limitations imposed by the OS.

That said, with iOS 12, using 1P in iOS has gone, in my opinion, from "only minimally usable and not a lot of fun, but definitely better than not having it" (e.g. having to go back and forth between the site and 1P to get the username and password, and having to reenter the master password in between), to a quite functional tool.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.