Sync Problem after New Installation

Options
LarryMcJ
LarryMcJ
Community Member

I've been using 1Password since the early days of "1P" and have recommended it to many friends, but today's recommendation turned out to be a total embarrassment for both me and 1Password. Hopefully, someone will have an answer to the following issues.

I talked a friend into switching to an iMac from Windows, then helped him convert and set up his new Mac. Then, of course, I convinced him to quit using his college's name and graduating year as his password for everything and get 1Password. Here's what happened and I've tried everything I could think of to resolve it (but couldn't) including reinstalling all the apps.

1. At 1password.com I clicked on "Families Trial Subscription", then during the process told him he should just go ahead and purchase it now when the 25% discount appeared. No problem...that part went fine.

2. Set up his account, printed out the secret key, everything looked fine on his my.password.com account, though not sure why it's my.password.com when my Families subscription is lastname.password.com. Anyway, it's working fine.

3. Next, I installed 1Password 7 on his iMac...everything went well, just scanned the code and everything populated. Then I installed 1Password 7 on his iPhone 8...again no problem. But this is the end of everything working like it should.

4. I added his first login (Amazon) on his iMac and it won't sync to either the web or iPhone. I then added a test secure note...same thing. Went to the web and added a couple of things, and they synched just fine to the iPhone...but not to the iMac. On the iPhone I added a couple more items and they synched fine to the web...but not to the Mac.

So, the problem is the iPhone app is synching just fine with the web account, and vice-versa. But the Mac app is not synching to anything. I uninstalled/reinstalled the Mac app...same problem. I finally gave up. The word "sync" doesn't exist anywhere so I can't force a sync. The WiFi is working fine, it's a brand new iMac, so why won't anything sync from the Mac app to either the iPhone or web account?

This all happened, of course, right after I explained to him what a wonderful app 1Password is and what a great company Agile Bits is. I honestly hope this is just something I'm overlooking so I can blame myself and 1Password doesn't take the blame. But in all the hundreds of 1Password installs I've done over the years for me, my family and friends...I've never had anything like this happen. Hopefully, there's an answer to this mystery.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @LarryMcJ

I remember you from "way back when." :) Well... that is indeed strange, and I apologize that you've been put in the middle on this in trying to help your friend get started with 1Password. Considering this is a new computer and the internet seems to be working otherwise I think the best course of action would be to get a diagnostic report from the Mac so we can check out what is happening "under the hood." I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from the Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/99139
    • Your forum username: LarryMcJ

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Oh, also, as for the sign-in address... we've transitioned to using my.1password.com for all non-business accounts. Existing accounts that have custom domains can continue to use those, but my.1password.com will also work. New non-business memberships do not receive a custom domain.

Ben

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Ben, I appreciate the course of action you're recommending, but I'm in a precarious situation here. I recommended that my (totally non-geek) friend spend $3K on a loaded iMac, then recommended he buy 1Password...as opposed to LastPass, which he actually mentioned to me. I talked him out of that primarily on the basis of 1Password being the best solution for his new iMac and both he and his wife's iPhones. (You and I know there are other reasons...but remember he's not technical at all).

So...without me having to go back to his house emptyhanded and tell him the 1Password folks think it might be something going on with your new $3K iMac...is there "anything" I could try first before going down the diagnostics path? I've already removed 1Password from his Mac and reinstalled it...as well as his iPhone, though I knew that wasn't the problem.

Hopefully, you have something else I can try first. Thanks.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

I think this situation just got worse. The master password he created, and even initially wrote down so he wouldn't forget, now won't work, so he must have written it down wrong. I did insist that he save the secret key PDF file when we first configured his account so when I go back over there we should be able to reset his master password. Hopefully, there will be something I can do to get 1Password to sync on his iMac.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben I'm not sure why the silence here...but I'll try once more. At this point all I want to do is help my friend remove 1Password from his iMac. There is nothing in his account except a test login so there's no data to save. But he can't remember his login and we need to simply figure out how to reset his account in order to cancel the credit card payment and move on. I just installed it for him two days ago so he's still in the trial period. Please, someone tell me what I need to do here. Thank you.

• Ben
    Options

@LarryMcJ

I apologize for the delay. We've been completely innundated with requests lately. If your friend cannot login to his account to delete it himself our sales team will need to assist them in doing that. Please have them email sales@1password.com from the email address on the account with the deletion request, and then post the support ID they get here so that I can work to expedite their request.

Thank you.

Ben

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

I'm going over to help him tomorrow morning and will help him with this. He's obviously a bit upset because of everything that's happened. I'll post the support ID here and let you know what happens. First, I'll try myself to open his account as I actually was in it several times the other day helping him set it up. Maybe he's bumbling the password or something. Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

You're welcome. :+1:

Ben

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Ben,

I sent an email to sales@1password.com Sat morning from my friend's computer and he hasn't even received an automated reply yet. The email indicated he wanted to cancel the trial subscription. Do they only respond on weekdays?

• Can you provide us with the Support ID from that ticket so we can follow up and make sure it's taken care of? Thanks!

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

He never received a bot email with a ticket number. I sent another email from my own email address yesterday and the ticket # for that one is BUT-12679-424.

• Thanks for providing that Support ID. I've followed up with you through the ticket.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Ben and Jin...thanks for the support, guys. In the end, my friend installed a competitive app.

• Ben
    Options

Understood. Thanks for the update.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.