Bug: Desktop app and web browser plugin no longer shares login, and plugin constantly locks

With the update of the web browser plugin, the plugin no longer uses my login to the desktop app. I.e., I have to log into the browser plugin separately, even though I am ALREADY logged into the desktop app. Extremely irritating.

Then, to make matters worse, the browser plugin does NOT honor the setting where i have turned OFF the "automatically lock 1Password" setting. Instead, it still locks the browser at some very short period of time.

1Password Version: 7.2.617
Extension Version: 1.13
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

Hi @davidmay,

Thanks for writing in.

1Password X is a separate extension and does not replace the regular 1Password extension, they're entirely different.

Do you have Chrome Sync enabled and may have accidentally installed 1Password X on other computers? If yes, it can overwrite the regular 1Password extension on all Chrome-Sync-enabled computers.

Uninstall 1Password X and install this extension instead: https://1password.com/downloads/#browsers

• davidmay
    davidmay
    Community Member

I will do that (thanks for the link); however, you are incorrect in saying that the browser plugin will not update to 1Password X -- that is exactly how it got on my computer.

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

Hi @DavidMay,

As I said, if you installed 1Password X on any other computer or Mac, Chrome will sync 1Password X to all of your computers via your Google account. It can disable the regular 1Password extension as well but does not remove it.

1Password X is not an update to the regular 1Password extension nor does it replace it. We do not send it to anyone, it has to be user-installed and once you install it, it can automatically disable the old one because you can't have two 1Password extensions at the same time without having issues.

• davidmay
    davidmay
    Community Member

Also, the other bug is still there: The browser plugin does NOT honor the setting where i have turned OFF the "automatically lock 1Password" setting. Instead, it still locks the browser at some very short period of time.

• Hi @davidmay,

I cannot reproduce this issue. If you open up the main 1Password program, it is unlocked?

Do you have the following two settings disabled in 1Password security settings; Lock when computer is locked and Never for the Lock after computer is idle for?

• davidmay
    davidmay
    Community Member

I'm sorry, I have removed 1Password X from my computer, so I cannot check the settings (and I will not be installing it again). However, I can say for sure that I had the "Lock when computer is locked" set to off. I have my computer set to never sleep and not to lock automatically (I lock it manually when I want it locked), and during my testing the computer was never locked. I do not remember a setting for "Lock after computer is idle for 'Never'", but I do remember a numeric setting somewhere, where I set it to 999 minutes.

• Hi @davidmay,

Is it possible you have both 1Password 4 and 7 installed together? There is no numeric option for the idle lock in 1Password 7:

If you have both versions installed, they may be causing this interference with 1Password extension.

• davidmay
    davidmay
    Community Member

I do not have version 4 and 7 both installed. I went ahead and reinstalled 1Password X plug in for Chrome...it does indeed have a numeric option, and it does not have the settings that you are picturing. Here is a screenshot:

• davidmay
    davidmay
    Community Member

First, thanks for taking the time to look into this. I apologize if I have come across rude or abrupt.

The settings you are picturing are in the desktop app, and my settings in the app are set up the same as how you have them pictured. The settings I am talking about (picture attached) are in the 1Password X web browser plug in, and as I said those settings are NOT honored when I changed them to NOT automatically lock 1Password in the browser and where I set the minutes number to 999. I also set the "Lock when device goes to sleep" to OFF. Despite my setting changes, the browser plug in still locks itself after a very short period of time (the desktop app does NOT lock when this happens).

The issue is likely something to do with I had the 1Password X plug in installed, coupled with the regular desktop app (i.e. the one that should go with the regular 1Password plug in).

And I did NOT sync Chrome and have the 1Password X plug in installed that way (I do not have 1Password X plug in installed on any of my other computers AND I do not have Chrome sync turned on). It was installed because my computer (via either the desktop app or the browser plug in) said that there was an update out for the plug in, which I said OK go ahead and install.

• Hi @Davidmay,

No worries, we're both trying to figure this out.

Despite my setting changes, the browser plug in still locks itself after a very short period of time (the desktop app does NOT lock when this happens).

Can you confirm the last tab Chrome has not been closed? The extension's setting is only in effect as long as Chrome is running without being closed. If you close the last tab and effectively Chrome, this also terminates 1Password X.

The issue is likely something to do with I had the 1Password X plug in installed, coupled with the regular desktop app

Not likely because 1Password X is a self-contained extension that has no external connection outside of Chrome, the 1Password desktop app has no impact on 1Password X and vis versa. That's why you need the regular 1Password extension that talks to the 1Password desktop app, the desktop app will keep it unlocked regardless of what you do with your browsers.

It was installed because my computer (via either the desktop app or the browser plug in) said that there was an update out for the plug in, which I said OK go ahead and install.

Chrome does not permit extensions install outside of the Chrome Web Store for security reasons; so, that rules out the desktop app.

We do not handle updating extensions, only Chrome can do that. Chrome would have a massive security issue if it can replace one extension with a different one. As far as I know, we have not send any updates to the regular 1Password extension (the desktop app version) that replaces it with 1Password X, we would have millions of users pissed off overnight if we did.

I have not seen any of my computers get 1Password X either. I am not sure what happened there but it is definitely not by our intentions, we have not seen any other reports either where this was not done by user.

• davidmay
    davidmay
    Community Member

I reactivated the 1Password X plugin, made my setting changes, and left the browser open for about thirty minutes (mostly using it for browsing, but also with it idle for a few minutes at a time). The plugin has NOT locked doing this time, so I'm guessing that while expecting it to stay in sync with the desktop app, I closed and reopened the browser (I close and reopen the browser frequently as a work habit), which caused the locking. In other words, it looks like it is acting as expected. The problem was my expectations.

As for the installation, I am positive that my computer somehow told me that there was an update out for the original plugin, else I would not have let the computer install it (I definitely did not go looking for an update). Plus, I am also positive that installing the 1Password X plugin automatically disables the original plugin. In fact, I just deleted and reinstalled 1Password X plugin and it again disabled the original plugin.

So, I agree with you that the lock settings are working as designed, and I apologize for the wild goose chase. As for why my computer suggested that there was an update available, I don't know. And I am sure that installing the 1Password X plugin automatically disables the original plugin (it does not delete it). It might be that Chrome is doing this on its own.

Thanks for working with me on this.

• Hi @davidmay,

In other words, it looks like it is acting as expected.

Yep, that is correct. I'll ask the extension team to see if they can add a note that closing Chrome will lock the extension regardless of the security settings.

Plus, I am also positive that installing the 1Password X plugin automatically disables the original plugin. In fact, I just deleted and reinstalled 1Password X plugin and it again disabled the original plugin.

Yes, that's correct, I mentioned that was the only way 1Password X could "replace"/disable the regular extension. The problem is, the only way it works like that is when the 1Password X extension is installed first. Extensions can work with other extensions as long as both extensions are owned by the same developer account.

1Password X did not do this until recently, so an update to 1Password X would've cause this. It is possible to have both running at the same time (maybe second 1Password icon was hidden behind the three dots) and when 1Password X got updated with this feature for you, it suddenly made everything worse for you.

This discussion has been closed.