Safari (Tech Preview) Extension Bug: Invoke Hotkey and *Safari* is launched.

leoofborg
leoofborg
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

New bug in b10. Was happily using Safari Tech Preview in b9, not having (that many) problems with auto fill.

Updated to b10;

0 Launch Safari TP current version: Release 54 (Safari 11.2, WebKit 13606.1.13.2)
1 Go to website login page (like gab.ai/login)
2 Invoke hotkey to show 1P in browser....

RESULT

1p7b10 now launches Safari. This is problematic because now I have 2 copies of Safari fighting over my keychain.

EXPECTED

Same behavior as in b9, 1p UI coming up, me putting in master pass, then filling a login.

What do?

--Leo

1Password Version: 7.0 b10
Extension Version: 7.0 BETA 10
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• @leoofborg,

At this time you must set STP as the default browser in order for that set of actions to work. This is an unfortunate (hopefully temporary) side effect of how the new Safari App Extension works.

Rudy

• joeworkman
    joeworkman
    Community Member

Is this fixable? I do actually use both browsers, depending on the task that I am doing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@joeworkman: I don't believe this is something we can "fix", given that macOS only supports a single default browser, and Safari app extensions don't have a facility for this. Using the default browser setting is currently the only way to ensure that URLs open in a particular browser, but we'll see if Apple has anything new for us to play with next month. Cheers! :)

• DaveWoodX
    DaveWoodX
    Community Member

Hmm, something is fishy here. Why does the 1Password extension open Safari anytime the default browser is not STP? If the default is Chrome, it still opens Safari.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DaveWoodX: Fishy? Anyway, I think you may have meant to comment in a different discussion, as this one is from May and is not related to the current state of things in Safari 12. What you're describing is just how Safari App Extensions work currently. Perhaps Apple will change that in the future. But currently if you want to use 1Password's Safari App Extension with Safari Technology Preview, you'll need to set Safari Technology Preview as the default browser.

• DaveWoodX
    DaveWoodX
    Community Member

@brenty Sorry if this was the wrong conversation, this was where the 1Password team sent me:

I say fishy because something doesn't feel right. If I have STP as the default browser, everything works as expected. If Safari is the default browser, Safari opens but then the 1P extension does work in STP. If Chrome is the default, Safari still opens. If Safari still opens when it's not the default browser, how does changing the default browser to STP help? Why doesn't the 1P extension open Chrome?

Oddly enough, if you just leave a Safari window open and minimized, the 1P extension works just fine in STP.

Anyway, looks like people are saying the same basic thing in the other thread.

• rudy
    edited October 2018

@DaveWoodX,

• if Safari is the default browser then the extension should work normally
    • if Chrome/Firefox/something that isn't a variant of Safari is the default browser then attempts to use SAE will only succeed in Safari
    • if STP is the default browser then the extension will work in STP but not Safari; generally.
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yep. Prerelease software can be weird. Hopefully Apple will address this, but I can't imagine it's a high priority as there probably aren't a lot of people using Safari Technology Preview day to day, at least relatively speaking.

• Jon_B
    Jon_B
    Community Member

This seems to still be an issue, any updates here?

• Jon_B
    Jon_B
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Whoops - double post and now the other comments show up. Anyway, I use Choosy as my default browser and have Safari and STP installed for different logins. Looks like the behavior still follows the same pattern as described by @rudy

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

@Jon_B

Unfortunately Safari and Safari Tech Preview will behave in strange ways if you are trying to use them both and use Choosy. If you wish to use Safari Tech Preview you will have to have Safari Tech Preview set as your default browser, rather than Choosy. Otherwise expect odd things to happen.

• davidolrik
    davidolrik
    Community Member

That kinda defeats the purpose of Choosy.

• @davidolrik,

Yup, unfortunately its a limitation of the API that allows us to wake up the Safari App Extension. The Apple team is aware of our request to improve that API and allow us to direct it to a specific Safari independent of the default browser.

• davidolrik
    davidolrik
    Community Member

Could we have the possibility of a hotkey that only shows 1Password?

As it is right now if I activate 1Password with Safari Tech Preview as the frontmost application, Safari will launch.
    If I activate 1Password with any other application as the frontmost application, Safari will not launch.

In my opinion "Show 1Password" should only bring 1Password to the front not launch Safari.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We don't have control over the default browser behaviour, as that's all handled by the OS. But ⌘ ⌥ \ shows 1Password. Or you can change the keyboard shortcut in 1Password Preferences > General. Cheers! :)

• davidolrik
    davidolrik
    Community Member

That keyboard shortcut also launches Safari when I have Safari Tech Preview as the front most application.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019

@davidolrik: Are you saying that pressing Option and \ together opens Safari on your Mac? I've never seen or heard of that before, so I think maybe I'm misunderstanding. Here the only thing that happens is that 1Password mini displays. Please clarify.

• davidolrik
    davidolrik
    Community Member

Nope you got it right.

I have Safari Tech preview running as the only browser, and when pressing the "show 1Password" hotkey, it shows 1Password and launches Safari.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@davidolrik: Hmm. Okay, that's weird. What is your default browser setting in System Preferences?

• davidolrik
    davidolrik
    Community Member

@brenty: Choosy.

• davidolrik
    davidolrik
    Community Member

I think I found a bug/misfeature in Choosy - If I change my default browser to Safari Tech preview, Safari is no longer launched when showing 1Password.

• rudy
    edited January 2019

@davidolrik,

This is correct. The way the Safari App Extension API works it will only operate with Safari if something other than a Safari is selected as the default browser.

So choosing Choosy or Chrome or Firefox means that you can only use the extension interface with Safari.

If STP is selected then it will only work with STP and not production Safari.

• Aktariel
    Aktariel
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Dropped by to confirm, even invoking 1Password with the global shortcut (Cmd + Opt + ) if Safari Tech Preview is open and not set as default browser, opens Safari and then displays the 1P agent window.

Honestly if this didn't happen I'd be more than happy to cut and paste from the window into fields, since I don't use STP all that often, but this flat out kills STP for reasonable usage.

Mojave 10.14.3, STP v74, happens with both 1Pw 7.2.4 and 7.2.5b1. Firefox is set as default web browser.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed. Perhaps that will change in the future. Your guess is as good as mine.

• macula
    macula
    Community Member

The issue persists and is becoming a major nuisance in my workflow, since I need to use STP as the main browser.

With STP set as default browser, the 1P extension launches the plain version of Safari.

The issue affects Catalina users, apparently, as evidenced in this recent thread.

• macula
    macula
    Community Member

Issue solved. See the link cited in my previous post.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update. I'll close this old discussion to avoid confusion going forward. :)

This discussion has been closed.