Search not available

Options
iphoneuser
iphoneuser
Community Member

I am really struggling to understand how to use autofill in iOS 12 with 1P. I have version 7.2.2. and a standalone license (only the "primary" vault as far as I can tell). I tried to log into my account for a reminder app and above the keyboard was a suggested login from 1P which was incorrect (I have a couple of different entries for this app and account). I could see no way to invoke a search. I could tap the key icon and then tap "1Password..." which opened 1P and showed the incorrect login and also an option to create a new login (not what I want obviously). The only other button available is "cancel". Another example is a web portal for my work where I have a number of different credentials. In Safari there is again a suggested login (which might be incorrect depending on the page I am accessing). Tapping the key brings up a bunch of saved logins but again no search function. Tapping on "1Password..." again brings up these same credentials with the only options to create a new login or cancel. No search.
I have resorted to copy and paste.
What am I missing here?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I don't disagree with you that iOS 12 Password Autofill is a bit confusing (especially the different ways it's presented, like you described). But I am getting a better feel for it over time. With regard to 1Password, one thing I found helped a lot was to enable 1Password Settings > Advanced > Security > Password Autofill. This makes it so you interact with 1Password's lock setup directly.

But that's not at all what you're asking about. It sounds like the problem you're having is that the URL you're visiting does not match the one saved in the login you want to use in 1Password. Neither 1Password nor Password Autofill will offer it to you in that case, otherwise you could easily fall prey to phishing scams. But if you're certain you want to use it there, you can copy the URL and then edit the login to add it there so it will be matched going forward. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I tried the setting you describe and I don't see how it improves the situation. I see the same (limited or incorrect) options and with no way to search 1P.
    I don't think there is an issue with the URL. I have multiple credentials for the same service or web page depending on what identity I want to use. On my Mac, this sometimes means I have to search to find the correct credentials. There does not appear to be any way to search 1P when using autofill on iOS.

• Hi @iphoneuser,

You're not the only one to run into this trouble, so let me see if I can help explain how Password AutoFill works under the hood, and how we engineered it to help keep you safe online.

When the system sends us a Password AutoFill request, it sends along the current URL for the website you're on (or the associated-domain of the app you're using, if the developers have provided one).

We use that URL to look up items in your vault that match, and provide them for you to fill.

If we don't find any items that match the given URL, we won't show any items. This, as @brenty pointed out, is to keep our customers from being phished. If someone tried to trick our users with a fake bank website, we wouldn't want 1Password to happily fill on that site (since the URL wouldn't match).

This can be inconvenient if the URLs in your items don't match the webpage, but it's a line we drew to keep our users safe. The work-around is to add the given URL as another Website field in your item (you can have more than one per item). Then, going forward, 1Password can match that item to that website and offer you the item in the AutoFill system.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iphoneuser: Sorry about going off on that tangent. I think the way Andrew explains it is much better, but if you have addition questions let us know. And if you're having trouble using 1Password at a particular site, be sure to let us know the URL so we can investigate. Cheers! :)

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I understand about adding the URL to the 1P entry and I will check again for some of the problematic sites I have encountered in iOS. The particular autofill experience that prompted my question was a login to an account inside an app (to change settings). I am not sure what URL is presented to 1P in that case. The particular (incorrect) entry that autofill brought up had no website information in the saved 1P entry. I don't change settings in this app often so not a big deal. Thanks for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iphoneuser: Ohhh. Okay, yeah that's a bit different from what I had in mind, though Andrew touched on it. In iOS 12 apps can have an associated website, set by the developer when it's submitted to Apple. But, much like support for password manager extensions, this is not mandatory. If the developer has not updated their app to support that (or is using a website address other than what you've saved for the login), it won't be available there to fill. Sometimes people ask us what URL they should save for logins they want to use in particular apps, but we just don't have any way of knowing; it would be best to contact the developer and suggest that they support it if they don't already.

At the risk of going off on another tangent though, I just replied to someone else on the broader topic of login matching/filling on iOS, and thought you might be interested:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/480790/#Comment_480790

iOS a bit of a different experience to what you might be used to if you use 1Password on a computer, so I thought I'd mention it in case it helps you as well. As always, we're here if you need us. :)

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, thanks. I see other people have similar questions/issues (I missed that discussion). I am definitely used to the desktop experience but appreciate having autofill available (sometimes) in iOS. Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

On behalf of brenty and Andrew you're most welcome. :) If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.