Feature request: ability to move sections

2»

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@krlklm - nope. We don't normally pre-announce release dates as many factors (some beyond our control) affect them. Please stay tuned. 😀

• :+1:

Ben

• SpivR
    SpivR
    Community Member

Would also really like to be able to re-order sections within a value entry.

I understand the prioritization challenge faced by your developers and many others.

I have a modest proposal - the classic features prioritization system doesn't work and will never work. Lower priority, but useful features like this just never bubble up to the top of the queue because newer higher priority features will also be added (like supporting a new version of the OS, etc.)

I would like to suggest you need two queues - a major features queue and a "nice to have / nice to fix" queue. Features like this go on the "nice to have queue" and you have at least some engineering assigned to be working off the items on this queue so at least they (slowly) get addressed instead of just being pushed too far down on a single queue where they are always deferred to infinity.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I have a modest proposal - the classic features prioritization system doesn't work and will never work. Lower priority, but useful features like this just never bubble up to the top of the queue because newer higher priority features will also be added (like supporting a new version of the OS, etc.)

I disagree. I've seen quite the opposite. I think you're universalizing the low priority of one specific feature request. That's understandable. But I think you'll find that the release notes tell a different story. Hopefully we'll be able to do something in this area in the future as well.

I would like to suggest you need two queues - a major features queue and a "nice to have / nice to fix" queue. Features like this go on the "nice to have queue" and you have at least some engineering assigned to be working off the items on this queue so at least they (slowly) get addressed instead of just being pushed too far down on a single queue where they are always deferred to infinity.

That's pretty much how things work already. We just don't use these specific, official-sounding queues. But the development team is full of people who enjoy biting off smaller stuff that they're passionate about as time permits. We're not quite as rigid as you seem to think (or perhaps want us to be -- I'm not sure which!) There's just a lot of other stuff to do. :)

• cyboorgi
    cyboorgi
    Community Member

Hi,

As this still seems to be a low prioritized issue I leave one more +1.
    Maybe if some more folks come along, it will raise the issue to at least medium :-)

Thanks,
    Gregor

• Jonnitto
    Jonnitto
    Community Member

Hi,

I use 1password for years, but this one tiny little feature is one of my biggest pain points. Please include this feature!

Thanks,
    Jon

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cyboorgi and @Jonnitto! Thanks for adding your voices to this one -- as you may have already read in this thread, adding that ability isn't quite as simple as it might appear from a user perspective. That's not to say we aren't considering it, just that we haven't anything to announce regarding it just yet. Keep an eye on the release notes for upcoming updates, and thanks for taking the time to share your views and wishes. :)

• jms1
    jms1
    Community Member

Adding my vote, this is also something I would really like to be able to do.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know. :)

• vikaesar
    vikaesar
    Community Member

Hi,

+1 to this request. This change would be a real timesaver.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@vikaesar - thanks for weighing in. :)

• dangul
    dangul
    Community Member

Hi!

+1

Would be very useful!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @dangul! Thanks for adding your voice.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tracedef - thanks for weighing in on this. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I think you meant sections. Custom fields can be freely moved within their section. :)

• Ivan_K
    Ivan_K
    Community Member

+1

Looking forward into ability of moving custom sections around. Usability wise it is definitely the most wanted feature on my side. Sometimes I feel like I am doing something wrong, just to realise that this possibility does not yet exist.

Thank you for working on this guys!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Ivan_K - thanks for weighing in! :) :+1:

• greatlakesdiver
    greatlakesdiver
    Community Member

+1

Myself and countless other users have been asking for reordering sections for over 5 years. I was hoping today's macOS 1P update might add this long overdue feature, but no luck.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't think I can agree with "countless", as we've been tracking requests; but certainly it's something that some folks are very passionate about. :)

• HanMadia
    HanMadia
    Community Member

+1, gonna save us a lot of time.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @HanMadia! Thanks for weighing in. :)

• frankoc
    frankoc
    Community Member

+1 for me as well. Thanks!

• mebasurto
    mebasurto
    Community Member

Hi 1Password Team,

Any idea when the ability to move sections will be added? As many users have expressed, it is a much highly desired feature.

Many thanks,

Manuel

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know it's a feature you'd like us to add. Perhaps it will work its way up our todo list over time as we check off others there. :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I've noticed recently that the Windows app already has this feature (thankfully, I'm very grateful to finally see some progress on this feature request that dates back to 2014 or earlier - this was a big deal for me personally as I am a bit OCD with my data, haha). But now this brings yet another discrepancy between the behaviour of the app on different platforms as the macOS version does not contain this feature. Is this possibly coming in 7.3? If not, I'd like to raise this as another area I see where these discrepancies are really a big pain in the butt as someone who has to work with 1P on many different platforms daily. These discrepancies drive me nuts. lol.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dustindotca - I can promise you it will not be a part of 7.3. Beyond that, as has been mentioned before, we do strive for cross-platform consistency when we can, but because 1Password is written natively by different teams for every platform on which we develop (instead of being something like an Electron or Java app), there will always be some discrepancies. Some of these are just different design choices (or different priorities at different times in the development cycle for various platform versions) while others will even be down to the differences in capabilities or restrictions of the underlying OS itself.

• kpitt
    kpitt
    Community Member

So I think it’s pretty clear at this point that this will never be supported for custom sections in general, but why is this still an issue for One-Time Passwords? Can anyone seriously argue that it makes sense to put the OTP anywhere other than right next to the password? The OTP is not a custom field. It is a critical component of the authentication process, every bit as important as the username and password, so I’m very confused as to why you don’t just display it as part of the pre-defined credentials section along with those values.

My apologies for venting some frustration, because I know the tone of this message is sounding a bit argumentative. It’s just that this is the one limitation that is preventing me from moving all of my OTP’s into 1Password, and indeed from using 2-step verification more broadly. I was just starting to switch some of my OTP generators over to 1Password because I had completely forgotten about this limitation and was honestly shocked to find that it is still an issue several years later.

This discussion has been closed.