don't have secret key

ldemercado
ldemercado
Community Member

I emailed support over 48 hours ago but have not received a response. I recently purchase a new MacBook Pro and found that 1Password did not migrate. I originally purchase in Feb 2015. I also have it installed on my iPad which works fine. If I download the app again or go the web version it ask me for a secret key which I do not have, I do know my master password phrase.
The online help directs me to go my IOS app to locate my Secret Key by clicking on my account under the 1Password Tab. However, there is nothing there. It asks me If I want to add an existing account but to add the account I need my secret key!

How can I instal 1Password on my laptop again with all my Logins that I currently have on my iPad?

Thanks in advance.

Lionel

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:new mac

Comments

• Hi Lionel,

You'll only have a Secret Key if you have a 1Password membership account, which is a subscription service. If you are using 1Password "standalone" via a license instead you'd need to set up and configure syncing manually:

Sync your 1Password data

I hope that helps!

Ben

• ldemercado
    ldemercado
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

How do I get an instance of 1Password on my Mac or via the web which does not ask for a Secret Key?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ldemercado - if you downloaded/installed 1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store, you'll need to uninstall that version, since we no longer sell 1Password as a standalone app via the Mac App Store. First, Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), then delete the 1Password app. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash. Finally, visit our downloads page and download a copy of the latest version and run the installer. When you run it for the first time, you should get a Purchase Options screen; just make sure you choose the second link, to purchase a standalone license.

Let me know if any of that was unclear or you have additional questions.

• ldemercado
    ldemercado
    Community Member

Hi - Thanks for the response. I think I am beginning to understand. I believe I initially installed from the Apple store on my iMac around 2015. My problem is I just got a new laptop so I don't have the App to uninstall. However, Password still works on my iPad.

1. Do I have to start all over again and purchase a new stand alone license? Do I have to re-populate all my logins again?
    2. What happens to the password info and logins that I see on my iPad & iPhone now. Do I have to delete that account as well? If so how?
    3. if I purchase a new new license - will this sync with my iPad and iPhone?

many thank for your help.

Lionel

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ldemercado - if you're using an entirely new (to you) computer, then you obviously don't have anything to uninstall. 1Password 7 for Mac is the current version of 1Password, and because it's a completely new version, it requires either a 1Password membership (that would be the part that asks you for a Secret Key), OR the purchase of a new license for the new version. If you bought 1Password from the Mac App Store in 2015, then you can download that older version (version 6) if you are using the same Apple ID on this new Mac that you were using when you originally purchased 1Password. To do that, open the Mac App Store on your Mac, and visit the Purchased section. Locate 1Password among your previous purchases and click install. Be aware that this will give you only 1Password 6, not 1Password 7.

Regarding your data, how were you previously syncing your data? If you look at 1Password on your iPad, tap Settings > Sync and just use the same sync method on your Mac as you're using on your iPad.

• ldemercado
    ldemercado
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Wow - thanks very much Lars - that did the trick.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad Lars was able to help. And we're here if you need anything else. Happy holidays! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.