How to extend my standalone 1Password 7 license to a standalone Family one. Can you guide please?

MLA
MLA
Community Member

Hello 1Password Support Team,

Recently I purchase an upgrade to a standalone 1Password 7 license. Love it. My wife is using trial version on her new Android phone. We decided to go for a Family standalone license. How should I proceed, please?

1Password Version: 7.2.4.
Extension Version: 7.2.4.
OS Version: MAC OS 10.14.
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:I upgraded to standalone 1Password 7 license. Now I decided to upgrade / extend to Family option.

Comments

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@MLA Standalone licenses are sold as per-person/per-system, so your wife will need to buy 1Password for Android separately from your purchases. Family subscriptions are a different issue, however. One Family subscription covers all systems and up to 5 family members. hth

• MLA
    MLA
    Community Member

Thank you vplewis, as far as it is not a good news to me, I appreciate your answer. This is something that probably does not many of us happy. I mean the changes in the strategy regarding subscription as a dominating or recommended way of distribution for 1Password.

I personally do not prefer subscription when we talk about software. It is good - in my opinion - for the courses, movies, music stuff et.c. But as they say in England, it is a Hobson's choice. We will buy an Android license then.

Thank you very much once again and all the best in New Year.
    To everyone on this Forum.

• MLA
    MLA
    Community Member

Another thing, if I may. If my wife buys an Android standalone license and she start her own account, will it be possible to get all the vault content from my account (and I use Mac OS) to hers (Android)? How does it get done?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MLA: To be clear, without signing up for a 1Password.com membership subscription, you will not have an account at all. If you want to sync data between different devices, you'll need to set that up yourself, e.g. using Dropbox:

https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox/

Family licenses do not exist because there is no way to sell one that includes all of the apps, which is what most people expect (and you seem to as well); the various platforms and app stores are just not compatible with one another. That hasn't changed, as these are owned by competing companies. What you're trying to do -- use 1Password seamlessly across all devices without a number of separate purchases and configurations -- simply wasn't possible in the past and only is now because we've created a hosted service expressly to make that a reality. You can certainly purchase multiple versions of 1Password separately and sync them yourself if you wish, just as has always been possible, but we offer the subscription option now as an alternative to the unhappiness you're describing:

https://support.1password.com/why-membership/

The choice is yours. Either way, let me know if you have any questions. :)

• MLA
    MLA
    Community Member

@brenty: Thank you for all the info. This absolutely clears the fog :). We will think about switching to a membership. One question however still stays. I already purchased an upgraded and have a standalone license for the nevest version of 1Password. Now, how to purchase the Family membership without loosing the money I have already spent? I would be grateful for a step by step guidance if it is not too much to ask for :)

• @MLA,

I can't guarantee what will be possible there but if you would please reach out to our sales team at sales@1password.com with your license purchase information they'll help in any way they can. When you email in please post the support ID that you get back from BitBot here so we can follow up.

Thanks.

Ben

• MLA
    MLA
    Community Member

@Ben,

Thank you, I will contact them before the end of this week and we will see how does it look like. Thank you very much Ben and all the best of the best for New 2019 Year and beyond

Miro

• You're very welcome. Happy holidays. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.