1Password X for Chrome stay logged in? Need to enter password Constantly.

tekfranz
tekfranz
Community Member
edited December 2018 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello I am user of the chrome X version of 1Password, but it asks me to login every time I open the Chrome Browser, despite having already set 1Password to not Automatically log out.

I find the Ctrl+Shift+X a it unhandy and of course the built in Chrome Password Manager works without needing to sign in all the time.
I know it is probably security related but if Chrome doesn't require a password why should 1Password prompt for one so often? Besides my computer is already authenticated with Windows Hello.

The reason i am using the Chrome X version is that the regular Chrome extension has trouble communicating with my local 1Password installation. 1Password keeps denying the Chrome extension access.

Is there any way to have to authenticate less often with Chrome X, even when closing and reopening the browser? I like the 100% browser based solution.

1Password Version: 1Password X
Extension Version: 1Password X
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1password.com
Referrer: forum-search:chrome

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tekfranz: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! While "the built in Chrome Password Manager works without needing to sign in all the time", it's also not offering you any real security as a result. The purpose of 1Password is to secure your important information, which is done using encryption -- not authentication; and therefore the Master Password is also needed to decrypt the data. That's unavoidable.

You can avoid entering the Master Password constantly when running, according to your settings...but the operative phrase is "when running": if you quit the browser, that clears it and anything running in it -- like 1Password X -- from memory completely; so you'll need to enter your Master Password again in order to unlock and decrypt the data. There's just no way around that.

You could, however, use the 1Password desktop app/extension instead, since that runs in Windows, and is therefore independant of the browser, and has access to OS-level features like Windows Hello:

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• tekfranz
    tekfranz
    Community Member

Sure, I will use the Desktp extension. Thank you for the detailed explanation.
    The encryption/decryption part makes sense.
    Thanks for keeping our data safe.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hey, you're totally welcome! Glad to be able to help -- and that we've got good options for a number of different platforms/uses. Happy holidays! :)

This discussion has been closed.