Mac Version 7 Top List (again)

Options
evansdavid
evansdavid
Community Member

I use "top list" in version 6 to restrict what is displayed on screen. With version 7 "left list", I haven't found a way to prevent all my usernames being displayed as I scroll through the logins. Also with left list, all of the details of each entry are advertised on the right side of the screen without much option to reduce the screen screen space used ... with version 6 "top list", I can reduce the size of the detail area down to a 'letterbox' to hide most of what's there.

I've seen some threads lamementing the loss of top list and one asking for the ability to customise the second line of a left list entry. So, sorry for re-raising somthing old but my concern seems slightly different to the others. As you don't want to bring back the top view, would it be possible to:

a) allow only the "title" field to be shown in the left view panel (i.e. just a single line), and
b) allow the right-hand detail panel to be hidden (or resized down to nearly nothing) or, even better, to be optionally relocated on screen so that it's beneath the left view panel and resizable down to something quite small.

Sorry if I've missed something in version 7 that would address my concerns. For the time being, I've gone back to version 6.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@evansdavid: It's no problem bringing it up. I'm just afraid there isn't anything more to add over the previous discussion:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/90306/please-bring-back-top-list-view

It was simply rarely used, and would continue to require design, development, and testing efforts that would ultimately be better invested elsewhere. The "left list" has been well-received and heavily used since it was introduced, so it was made the default years ago. R.I.P., Top View. I was a big fan back in the day, but it's day is long behind us.

Your suggestions are interesting ones, but while I can relate to the feeling, I'm not sure I understand the actual benefit you think you'd get by having only titles in the list on the left and/or hiding the details on the right. I personally have the same impulse. A good example I can think of is Simplenote, which offers a similar option to show only note titles on the left. I turn it on occasionally, but every time I do, while I prefer that aesthetically, it isn't long before I go back to the default since it it actually pretty useful to have a bit more context beneath the title -- which is very similar to 1Password.

Anyway, we don't have plans to do anything like that, but it's always interesting to hear different perspectives, and we can take your feedback into account along with everyone else's as we continue developing 1Password in the future. I look forward to hearing back from you. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@harczuk: As I mentioned in my comments immediately preceding your own (as well as the earlier discussion), I was rather fond of the List View myself. It just isn't reasonable for us to continue developing multiple UIs for the same app, especially when one was so infrequently used. I'm sorry that's not what you hoped to hear, but it's the truth. I don't want to give anyone false hope that it's coming back.

We definitely don't know it all, but one thing we do know is 1Password -- both from building it for over a decade, and also from interacting hundreds of times a day with the people who use it. Absolutely some people have had difficulty upgrading from any version of 1Password to another, but that's what we're here for. Contrary to "reviews on the internet", we see a much wider cross-section of the 1Password userbase -- most of whom contact us via email. We can't account for everyone's setup, but we're always available to assist; so let us know if you have any questions, and we'll help in any way we can. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.