Converting all my stand-alones

I'll try to be brief. I have resisted going to a monthly subscription as it never goes away...but I believe that I may be so many versions old that I have no choice due to the way the 1Password platform is now deployed. So I need help going to a single user plan. All my devices currently use the same logon/location.

Platforms I run: 2009 Mac running El Capitan and a (new for me) 2014 Mac running latest OS as well as Windows 10 machine at work
Iphone 6S and 6S Plus and 2 year old iPad.

Have 1Password 3.8 on my 2009, 4.6.2 on Windows, and a just downloaded but "activated" Rel 4 on the 2014 (I was trying to run 3.8). iPhones/ipad are running whatever was bought when I was running 3.8. I can furnish key codes if needed.

If I'm going to have to upgrade to a monthly script, I want to make absolutely SURE that I do this correctly so I don't lose data.

If I go to the 1password.com "cloud", how are you guys INSURING against hacks. If I was a hacker, would this not be prime target?

What is that process of converting?

Which machine do I start with?

I currently run agile keychain on dropbox. It appears there would be a change...but I want to make sure it's successful.

I've gone thru the forums, so many items, I stay confused. I'm not a programmer by any means, so need this simple.

You can email me if needed offline, or I can furnish cell phone offline if needed.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'll try to be brief. I have resisted going to a monthly subscription as it never goes away...but I believe that I may be so many versions old that I have no choice due to the way the 1Password platform is now deployed. So I need help going to a single user plan. All my devices currently use the same logon/location.

@tmorris: Based on the setup you described, the only challenge I see is the old Mac running El Capitan. If you can't upgrade to a recent version of macOS, you may end up having difficulty using a 1Password account there. You may be able to use the 1Password.com web interface in a browser there if it isn't out of date, or 1Password for Mac version 6 -- though that is discontinued and won't receive further updates. All the rest can use the latest 1Password apps.

To address some specific things you mentioned:

If I go to the 1password.com "cloud", how are you guys INSURING against hacks. If I was a hacker, would this not be prime target?

It certainly could be. So when we designed it, we wanted to make sure that even if an attacker breaks into our server, they won't be able to get at our customers' data. With 1Password.com, your data is encrypted locally, using the Master Password (which you choose) and the random 128-bit Secret Key (which is generated locally on your device), the server only receives encrypted data, and the "keys" to decrypt it are never sent to us. So an attacker cannot get what they need to access your data from us; only you have that. And apart from our own ongoing security proceesses, we participate in external audits and cooperate with independent security researchers to find any flaws so we can fix them. If you're interested in the details of how all this works, definitely check out our security white paper:

https://1pw.ca/whitepaper

And let us know if you have any questions. :)

If I'm going to have to upgrade to a monthly script, I want to make absolutely SURE that I do this correctly so I don't lose data. [...] What is that process of converting? Which machine do I start with? I currently run agile keychain on dropbox. It appears there would be a change...but I want to make sure it's successful. I've gone thru the forums, so many items, I stay confused. I'm not a programmer by any means, so need this simple.

Totally! The OPVault and AgileKeychain local vault formats aren't involved at all, and making the transition to a 1Password membership is actually pretty straightforward. This guide will take you through signing up, migrating your data (recommend doing that on an up-to-date computer where you have all your 1Password data), and setting up all your devices:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

And if you have any questions along the way, just let us know. We're here for you. :)

• tmorris
    tmorris
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. Follow up questions if I may:
    1) 2009 cannot be upgraded to any other OS than El Capitan. Have Safari 11.1.2. So I don't follow as to what i can or cannot do with this machine. I don't understand your comment about 1password web interface. I'm not seeing that example on the web site anywhere. Would I be downloading 1Password 7? This is the one part that really concerns me so I want to be very cautious and calculated.
    2) Would all of the other devices be migrated to 1PW 7?
    3) In reviewing the link you sent to migrate....it talks about deleting my existing vault. Again, alarm bells go off. How do I INSURE that a proper migration to 1PW.com or whatever has occurred. I really don't want to lose my entire password collection. I would be royally pissed
    4) Once migrated, I'm assuming that recovery's can be done if something happens...either on my end or on your end?
    5) Which machine should I start with on this process?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the reply. Follow up questions if I may:

@tmorris: Likewise, thanks for getting back to me. Happy to answer questions any time. :)

1) 2009 cannot be upgraded to any other OS than El Capitan. Have Safari 11.1.2. So I don't follow as to what i can or cannot do with this machine. I don't understand your comment about 1password web interface. I'm not seeing that example on the web site anywhere. Would I be downloading 1Password 7? This is the one part that really concerns me so I want to be very cautious and calculated.

Thanks for clarifying. 1Password 7 will not run on El Capitan, so you can't use it there. 1Password 6 will work for the time being, but since it (like your OS) will not receive any further updates, it may not work any more down the road. I suggest you install the old 1Password extension in Safari immediately, as Apple will be shutting it down in the near future:

https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C

If you uninstall it, you may not be able to reinstall it.

If and when you can no longer use the 1Password desktop app/extension, you may be able to access your data through the 1Password.com web app in your browser.

2) Would all of the other devices be migrated to 1PW 7?

All of the other devices you listed should be able to run 1Password 7.

3) In reviewing the link you sent to migrate....it talks about deleting my existing vault. Again, alarm bells go off. How do I INSURE that a proper migration to 1PW.com or whatever has occurred. I really don't want to lose my entire password collection. I would be royally pissed

Removing the vault from the app does not delete the data from disk, from your sync service (you mentioned using Dropbox earlier), or get rid of the periodic backups 1Password has been saving for you all along the way. You'd literally need to destroy those yourself in order to get screwed, so no worries. :)

4) Once migrated, I'm assuming that recovery's can be done if something happens...either on my end or on your end?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. But any data in your account is stored encrypted and backed up redundantly on the server, where you can even restore older versions of items if needed. We cannot, however, ever "recover" someone's account or data if they've locked themselves out of it. All data is encrypted locally before being sent to the server, and the "keys" to decrypt it are only ever known to the account holder. That's why you'll need to save your Emergency Kit after you sign up.

5) Which machine should I start with on this process?

I'd still recommend one of your computers which is fully up to date. It's just easiest there, both compared to a mobile device and because we've streamlined the process more over time. Let me know how it goes. :)

• tmorris
    tmorris
    Community Member

Started trying to migrate...already issues and questions:

1) With v6, will I be able to link to 1password.com account and use that or am I relegated to dropbox with that version on the 2009 Mac.
    2) Tried to create logon to 1password.com...first issue. It ask for master password. Should that be the SAME as what I currently use on my standalone...or is this a DIFFERENT master password. If it is the same...then there is an issue...my Master is 9 characters and the web site requires 10 as minimum. How do I change that?
    3) Do I download v7 onto new Mac before or after creating web logon. My "new Mac" doesn't have anything currently loaded.
    Thanks and sorry for being such a pain...you would think that this would be easy...but with no phone support and 10 minutes of "handholding" for us non-geek folks, we could be done already.

• tmorris
    tmorris
    Community Member

Started trying to migrate...already issues and questions:

1) With v6, will I be able to link to 1password.com account and use that or am I relegated to dropbox with that version on the 2009 Mac.
    2) Tried to create logon to 1password.com...first issue. It ask for master password. Should that be the SAME as what I currently use on my standalone...or is this a DIFFERENT master password. If it is the same...then there is an issue...my Master is 9 characters and the web site requires 10 as minimum. How do I change that?
    3) Do I download v7 onto new Mac before or after creating web logon. My "new Mac" doesn't have anything currently loaded.
    Thanks and sorry for being such a pain...you would think that this would be easy...but with no phone support and 10 minutes of "handholding" for us non-geek folks, we could be done already.

• tmorris
    tmorris
    Community Member

Just a follow up. I did find the method to change Master PW, but now another problem. I changed it on my iPhone that syncs to dropbox, but none of my other devices unlock with the new PW. They still want to open with the old PW. So what is going on, I don't see that in the notes anywhere. Do I have to go thru every device and change? One forum acted like it would change everywhere.

thanks

• tmorris
    tmorris
    Community Member

I checked several hours ago and now all devices are using the same NEW master password. I don't understand why it took so long...but it is there now...I would figure dropbox would be near instant. I had even rebooted and all of that kind of stuff last nite to no avail.

Will see how far I can get tonite. thks

• tmorris
    tmorris
    Community Member

None of this is going so "easy". Why can't we get a real customer support on the phone and get this done quickly. I'm now in day 2 and continue with issues that are not on any of the training areas.

1) created 1pw.com log on
    2) downloaded 1pw7 on my windows machine where 1pw4 resides. Tried following video on doing move on your web site...failure. It says to move from 1pw4 to 7 first...but doesn't give any instructions...
    3)Try to go to 1pw7 to figure this out...not intuitive...try to go to "open vault on this pc"...is this correct?
    4) point to dropbox folder with agile keychain...it wants 1pw master pw...but starts talking about opvault, creating legacy keychain, and gives me a box to "convert vault to the OPVault format"....where is this in the instructions...and how am I supposed to know what all of this means?

I'm on hold...

• tmorris
    tmorris
    Community Member

Well desperation bred success. Sent email to support email address and the autobot actually sent back a good instruction process that I hadn't seen before.

So got success.

Still think a help desk would be wise...every other SW company does...when we are at risk of loss of our most precious of resources...our passwords...this is critical to success.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tmorris: While we also do support via email, this forum is also our official support channel. So while there isn't an actual desk involved (at least not for me personally), you can get help from us either way. I'm sorry if you were hoping for a response sooner, but I do think it's important to reply to others who have been waiting longer first...and trying to have the same conversation in multiple places slows things down for everyone as well. :blush:

I'm glad if you were able to get things sorted out, in spite of some confusion due to having setup different Master Passwords for things. Ultimately those are not things we can really "train" you for since you're the one who set it up that way and you're the only one who would really know, but if you need help with anything else just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.