1Password 7 sluggish/slow - switched back to 1p6

sjcjonker
sjcjonker
Community Member

Hi there,

Initially I held out on 1Password 7 due to my workflow with the mini app but when I saw 1P7 had this fixed in one of the Beta's {apple-issues#1429} I made the jump.

1 Password 7 mini was still slow; unlocking with Touch-ID takes 2-3 seconds on my new Air. Pressing the global hotkey to bring up Mini and starting to type parts of the server hostname for instance "nlpd" it could take 3 to 8 seconds for the item to show and in a state where I can navigate to it and press the Cmd-Shift-C option to copy the SSH password.

The slowness seems to get worse after a couple hours of running 1Password 7 mini. Quitting 1Password7 completely then it seems better for an hour of two / three.

This wasn't such an issue as the beta of 1P7 leading up to 1P7 7.2.4 reported some improvements in performance, and the beta forum mentioned more to come. Now with 7.2.4 it's still unbearably slow. Yes I should have spoken up during the beta's. I'm sorry. Hence posting it in the Beta forum to limit the exposure and I hope you don't see this as a shaming exercise.

Maybe it's my setup, 1P family account, 5 vaults (1 shared), ~1200 items in total. Whereby roughly 250 are customised, these custom items are mostly server items. Maybe of intrest and if it matters half of these server items have a closely common URL's in the item. (The link the to that specific server's monitoring page is in the item. i.e. https : //monitoringnode.example.com/server=<hostname> and as such only the differs).

So enough complaining; what can I do to have the dev's troubleshoot this 2-3 second touch-ID unlock and the keyboard search/navigate/copy flow?

Thx in advance for the support,
Stijn

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sjcjonker: As complaints go, that's pretty tame. ;) I appreciate you sharing this feedback! There are a few things which may be limiting factors, but there is still room for improvement in many areas, so it's good to get information about what you're experiencing.

First, I will say that as far as Touch ID, there's not a lot we can do about that. You're probably noticing a difference because 1Password 7 is using Apple's Secure Enclave for this where it was not in earlier versions. This offers additional security, but does appear to have a tiny bit more overhead, which can cause a slight delay. I suspect disabling Touch ID will allow for quicker unlocking, if less convenient. Either is fine, but if you could confirm or deny that for me I'd be grateful.

With that out of the way, I have a few questions that may help us identify areas where there are things we can do to help:

1. If 1Password is already unlocked, do you experience the same delay when searching, etc? Or does that only happen immediately after unlock?
    2. When you say "it seems better for an hour of two / three", do you mean the problems you're describing go away entirely for a while after restarting?
    3. You mentioned using a 1Password Families membership, but for sync you listed "iCloud". Are you using both the account and (a) local vault(s)?

Thanks in advance, and again for coming to us with this in the first place. :)

• sjcjonker
    sjcjonker
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,

Thanks for your response for your questions:

For the touchID one:

First, I will say that as far as Touch ID, there's not a lot we can do about that. You're probably noticing a difference because 1Password 7 is using Apple's Secure Enclave for this where it was not in earlier versions. This offers additional security, but does appear to have a tiny bit more overhead, which can cause a slight delay. I suspect disabling Touch ID will allow for quicker unlocking, if less convenient. Either is fine, but if you could confirm or deny that for me I'd be grateful.

Well TouchID is lightning fast on 1P6, on 1P7 it sometimes takes up to 2-3 seconds to unlock (read do anything visually). This is not the behaviour for OS level (including sudo) touchID challenges. So it's not just a bit slower, but really slow.

1) If 1Password is already unlocked, do you experience the same delay when searching, etc? Or does that only happen immediately after unlock?

A1) The delay is identical or seems to be, I didn't put a stopwatch besides it all the time. But locked vs unlocked didn't seem to matter.

2) When you say "it seems better for an hour of two / three", do you mean the problems you're describing go away entirely for a while after restarting?

A2) The 1P6 still beats 1P7 on speed on every search, but indeed in the first couple searches/hours the speed is "acceptable". After that when I type only 3 letters to search I can see the screen being updated with the results letter by letter.

3) You mentioned using a 1Password Families membership, but for sync you listed "iCloud". Are you using both the account and (a) local vault(s)?

A3) Maybe I was wrong but I don't recall 1P family to be an option to choose, but yes I'm using Family only. Checked whether there was still something left, but no:

[sjonker] - [~/Library/Mobile Documents] - [2018-12-24 16:04:58]
    [0] $ find ./ -a \( -iname \*onepass\* -o -iname \*agilebit\* -o -iname \*1password\* \)
    .//2BUA8C4S2C~com~agilebits~onepassword
    .//2BUA8C4S2C~2BUA8C4S2C~com~agilebits~onepassword-osx-helper
    .//iCloud~com~agilebits~onepassword-ios

That's all no files in those directories anymore.

Thx,
    Stijn

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Well TouchID is lightning fast on 1P6, on 1P7 it sometimes takes up to 2-3 seconds to unlock (read do anything visually). This is not the behaviour for OS level (including sudo) touchID challenges. So it's not just a bit slower, but really slow.

@sjcjonker: There can certainly be a delay since there are additional checks involved, but I've never seen this to actually be long. We had one report that it was taking "five seconds", but it turned out to be less than one. What is your idea of "really slow" here? Again, we can't change how Touch ID works, and we don't have plans to go back to the previous method now that Apple has given us a more secure option (more like iOS), but I would like to establish if you're actually seeing something abnormal in case it would help us or Apple.

A1) The delay is identical or seems to be, I didn't put a stopwatch besides it all the time. But locked vs unlocked didn't seem to matter.

I really appreciate that. Thank you!

A2) The 1P6 still beats 1P7 on speed on every search, but indeed in the first couple searches/hours the speed is "acceptable". After that when I type only 3 letters to search I can see the screen being updated with the results letter by letter.

I've only seen that in Safari, and only with the old extension. Do you see different results in other browsers? Trying to pin down why this is different for you.

A3) Maybe I was wrong but I don't recall 1P family to be an option to choose, but yes I'm using Family only. Checked whether there was still something left, but no:

Ah, thanks for clarifying. That helps narrow down what needs to be tested. I think no matter what there are optimizations we can make to 1Password itself so that search is more responsive and performance stays consistent. So thank you for your feedback on this. We'll keep looking into it. :)

• sjcjonker
    sjcjonker
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,

So I made the switch again to 1P7 :) to be able to provide the info. What I did was the following:

1. Quit 1Password6 in entirely
    2. Find old items: find -x / -iname *1pass* -o -iname *agilebit* -o -iname *2BUA8C4S2C* as such removing all except those in ~/Library/Application Support/CloudDocs/session/containers/ and ~/Library/Mobile Documents/
    3. Removed the 4.7.3 plugin from Safari.

Config wise in 1Password7 the only change I made is the shortcut to show 1Password.

What I'll do is use this and try to make a screen recording for the unlock and the search. I hope it will give some hints then.

For the browser question; I actually try to use Safari 100%; when I need to resort to Chrome I do a copy/paste from mini.

So to be continued for the screen captures/movies.

Thx,
    Stijn

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I really appreciate it. Thank you. If there's something we can do to improve it for everyone, that will be great. :)

• sjcjonker
    sjcjonker
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,

I have a video; which shows an 2 a 3 seconds delay after the touchID is accepted by the OS, as well as the delays experiencing when searching whereby the right side of mini is slow in updating. This is not the absolute worse I have seen but close.

The issue is linking; as it shows whilst searching a bit too much usernames, IP's and hostnames etc. Can I upload it somewhere for Agilebits internal use and/or some way I can share a username/password in a private message so you can download it from my website?

Thx,
    Stijn

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sjcjonker: Sure thing. Just send it to support@1password.com and use this is as the subject: [#VNW-83719-265] :)

• sjcjonker
    sjcjonker
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,

Thanks email should be with support.

Stijn

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thank you! I'll have to look into it more and get back to you tomorrow, but I couldn't resist watching it as I'm about to shut things down here. Fantastic. By that I mean well-made, clear, and very interesting -- definitely not normal or what I'd consider expected or acceptable. If 1Password worked that way for everyone, we'd be in trouble. We'll figure out what we can do to make the experience better for you and anyone else who suffers from a similar issue. We'll be in touch and continue the conversation via email, as I'm sure we'll need some additional information to try to track down what's causing this.

• sjcjonker
    sjcjonker
    Community Member

Hi @Brenty,

Well "no rush" as in enjoy the holidays. If it the slowly-ness really gets to me I'll just move to 1P6 for a couple days. The switch is only 10 minutes including the cleaning of the files.

But I rather have it fixed, as 1P6 seems to be a bit in maintenance mode and before we all know it, it will stop working with Browser X or OS Y etc.

So it's ok to reply via email next year :+1: :)

thx
    Stijn

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sjcjonker: Well, I'd rather start the New Year right by finding a solution for you before then, if at all possible. I appreciate your patience and perseverance though. :blush:

But in the mean time, if you do need to switch between version 6 and 7, you should be able to do it more quickly and easily. Just Quit 1Password Completely in whichever version is currently running using Command Control Option Q, and then you can open the other one. Repeat if you want to switch back again. I'm also wondering if quitting like that and then relaunching speeds up 1Password 7 for you at all. Perhaps there's some sort of memory leak.

This discussion has been closed.