Can't figure out how to setup Dropbox sync - there isn't a 1Password folder there.

Trying to setup 1Password - first on Win10 desktop, then on iPhone and iPad once it's working. Somehow the default "easiest way" wasn't working so I'm trying to do it with Dropbox, only when I follow the Dropbox instructions they don't relate to what I see. It seems to be asking me to find the 1Password folder in Dropbox, only there isn't one. Should I create one?
Or is there a better way to just start over and get the "easiest way" working? How would I do that - "just signing in" doesn't seem to do the trick - I did install the 1Password apps on the iPad and iPhone, but they don't sync to the passwords in the Windows version... Many thanks!

1Password Version: 7.2.617
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Win 10 (1809 update)
Sync Type: Dropbox? Maybe
Referrer: forum-search:dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@StuartDole: It's recommended to save the vault inside the (Dropbox)/Apps/1Password/ folder. If your data is in 1Password on your iOS device, setting up sync on that will save the vault there for you. "Signing in" to 1Password account is only works with a membership, in which case Dropbox isn't used at all; that would be the easiest way though. If you want to use 1Password seamlessly across all your devices without having to deal with sync configuration or multiple licenses, a 1Password membership is definitely the way to go. Either way, I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• StuartDole
    StuartDole
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Hi Brently - thanks! I'm trying to find out what a "membership" is, whether it's different from the fee I'm currently paying - a "subscription" at $35.88 a year. If I'm already a member, is there a way to uninstall 1Password and reinstall it without losing the 93 items I've managed to put in already, and then just take the defaults and end up with it all working?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@StuartDole: A 1Password membership subscription includes all the apps and updates, and built-in sync. Otherwise you'd need to purchase each individual version of 1Password and sync your own data.

If you're already using a 1Password membership and have saved your data in the account (you easily can check this by signing into the website in your browser -- https://start.1password.com/ ), then reinstalling the app is not a problem: all you need to do is sign into your account again to access your data there. Does that help? :)

• StuartDole
    StuartDole
    Community Member

Thanks again - I did that, and yes, the now 94 items are still there. However now I'm not getting the list of passwords on the PC to be picked up on iOS - this was the original problem.

I changed my Amazon password on the PC, and it still shows the old one in iOS on both iPad and iPhone. And there is weirdness about 2FA happening - sigh. Maybe I should turn off 2FA on the iPad until I'm getting the sync to happen...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@StuartDole: You'll need to be signed into that same 1Password account on each device in order for them to have your account data. However,

And there is weirdness about 2FA happening

What does this mean?

• StuartDole
    StuartDole
    Community Member

OK, again many thanks! I am now signed into the same account on each device, and IT'S WORKING. Somehow the Amazon password reverted to the old one on all the devices, but I was able to find it in Chrome's password list, sign in, and update - and the update propagated to the other devices.

OK, on the iPad 1Password is thinking it wants 2FA (I think I turned that on by accident), and it wants the six digit code from "my authenticator". I'd installed Authy on the iPad, but I can no longer log into it - it's demanding the "backup password", which isn't remembered by either 1Password (which is waiting for the code anyway) or Apple's keychain. But I have a Yubikey 4 (gift from Ars Technica) on the PC, and its authenticator app, on the PC, makes a code that the iPad 1Password login likes. I don't like it that I need the 2FA on the iPad, and it's tied to the PC... I'll look into it.

Again, thanks!

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

Hi @StuartDole,

Thanks for updating us on this.

Is it possible you were trying to test YubiKey with 1Password initially with this guide on your PC first? 1Password asks for the 2FA token on the initial sign-in only, meaning that it's now authorized to sync without having to ask for your 2FA token again until the device has been manually de-authorized by you.

It'd explain why you may not see 2FA dialog on your PC yet but you can see it on the iPad if you're signing in for the first time or any other new devices.

On the Yubikey guide from us, you can find out how to turn it off for your 1Password account until you get a better sense of what's going on: https://support.1password.com/yubikey/#if-you-lose-access-to-your-yubikey

• StuartDole
    StuartDole
    Community Member

Got it. Disabled 2FA, at least for now. Many thanks! (Why might I need 2FA? I think maybe, because I'm mostly a caregiver at home for a family member, I don't have as large an "attack surface", so maybe it's not so important.)

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

Hi @StuartDole,

You're welcome. Keep in mind that you still have the secret key to protect your 1Password account with. Not everyone needs 2FA in addition to the Secret Key but we want to give you the options for whatever use case you need 1Password for.

This discussion has been closed.