locking out after 10 minutes

I am using the Firefox browser extension on both a mac and an PC. Both of them lock out after 10 minutes, even when I change the setting to not automatically lock out or if I change the time. I'm getting so, so frustrated, especially since I'm also trying to set up my less-technically-inclined family members on this service. At this point, they're just going to have to keep their crap passwords, because they can't even remember the passphrases we set up.

How can I change the settings so that the login stays active as long as possible? We don't take our computers out of the house, so in-person security is not a big deal. I looked on the forums, and some of the answers about re-installing go over my technical savvy level. PLEASE HELP!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: x
OS Version: windows 10 & OS
Sync Type: cloud
Referrer: forum-search:locking out after 10 minutes

Comments

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @carolynb212! :)

I'm sorry for the frustration, I'd love to look into this. I've turned off Automatically lock 1Password and 1Password X hasn't locked for the past 50 minutes. Given that I can't reproduce the behavior you're seeing, I'd like to ask you for more information. Are you closing your browser? If that's the case, 1Password X should lock whenever you close the browser. If not, you might be affected by the issue from this forum post.

Let me know what happens, and we'll figure out what to do next. :)

• carolynb212
    carolynb212
    Community Member

Thanks. My browser is set to clear all data when I close it, and I have closed it and reset the setting. The first thing I do is log into 1Password, and then change the setting to not automatically lock, but it does it anyway. It sounds similar to what is happening on the link you sent, except that I'm using Firefox, not Chrome. It happens on both my Mac and my PC. Restarting Firefox and restarting my computer did not help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@carolynb212: If you do not reset the browser, and then restart it, does it behave correctly, according to your lock setting? If you instead remove 1Password X and then install a fresh copy, does it work as expected?

• carolynb212
    carolynb212
    Community Member

That did not work. I just uninstalled the extension in Firefox, and re-installed it. I also updated the software on the desktop version. Still, after 10 minutes, I get locked out. Additionally, when I entered my passphrase again and went into settings again, the "Automatically Lock 1Password" toggle was already set to where I put it.

• carolynb212
    carolynb212
    Community Member

OK! This time it seems to have stuck... After that first 10 minute lockout, we're now going on 30 minutes with no lockout.

• carolynb212
    carolynb212
    Community Member

Nope. Locked again, moments after I used the extention to login to a website. Any ideas?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2019

@carolynb212: Thanks for following up. I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble with this for some reason. Please open the background page console so you can grab the logs next time it happens:

1. Go to chrome://extensions/
    2. Turn on Developer mode in the top right
    3. In 1Password's details, click the "background page" link
    4. Click the Console tab and copy/paste into a text file

Send it to support+extension@1password.com and post the Support ID you receive here. Thanks in advance!

• Zangoose
    Zangoose
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

I'm also having the same problem - Using Google Chrome (Windows 10). Should I also send the console information to you?

Edit: I've seen other threads regarding this, so you can ignore this comment.

• carolynb212
    carolynb212
    Community Member

I keep seeing solutions for Chrome. I'm not using Chrome. Is the problem that the extension doesn't work in Firefox?

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

@carolynb212: The fix should work for Firefox as well. :) The latest update, 1.13.2, is now out, so I'd like to ask you to give it another go and let me know if that helps.

• WinPass
    WinPass
    Community Member

I tweeted about this and was referred to this thread. I too had the same issue with Chrome and 1Password X locking way before my lock out time. I have since updated to 1.13.2 and have had multiple Chrome windows (both incognito and normal) with 1Password X working as expected!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Good to know @WinPass! Thanks for sharing, and I'm glad 1Password X is back to normal for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.