Can I run 1PW6 alongside 1PW 7.?

sampler
sampler
Community Member

I have a Family license with shared vaults, but 1PW 7 has been a great disappointment (see some issues below). I want to revert to 1PW 6 for the time being. I plan to copy the app over from a networked backup computer.
. Questions:
1. Will there problems if I install 1PW6 alongside the 1PW7?
2. Is there a way to link 1PW 6 or perhaps another version to the Family license?

Thanks

Some issues:
*. 1 PW 7 reliably replaces a PW with the answer to a security question given at a prior login (Bank of America)

• 1 PW creates a new entry with username the answer to a security question at prior login.
  • 1 PW warns of a duplicate entry but links to something completely different.
  • I try to delete an old login-item, but delete or command-delete do nothing.

1Password Version: 7.24
Extension Version: 7.24
OS Version: Mac OS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• sampler
    sampler
    Community Member

Just to follow up, I installed 1PW 6; it found the family license; and I was able to log on to BOA with no problems.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

1) Will there problems if I install 1PW6 alongside the 1PW7?

@sampler: You will have issues running both. They will both be trying to connect to the browser, and that will cause problems with saving and filling.

2) Is there a way to link 1PW 6 or perhaps another version to the Family license?

I'm not sure what you're asking here. But if it helps, a 1Password license is valid for the specific version purchased.

1 PW 7 reliably replaces a PW with the answer to a security question given at a prior login (Bank of America)

You've saved that "security question" step as your login for Bank of America. If you save your password instead, that should work better:

https://support.1password.com/create-multi-page-login/

1 PW creates a new entry with username the answer to a security question at prior login.

1Password can only get the information present when you choose to save the login.

1 PW warns of a duplicate entry but links to something completely different.

What does it say exactly? Are you maybe reusing a password across multiple logins?

I try to delete an old login-item, but delete or command-delete do nothing.

You can't delete from the item list in the browser. Delete will work in the item list in the main 1Password app though.

Just to follow up, I installed 1PW 6; it found the family license; and I was able to log on to BOA with no problems.

It sounds like you have different information saved there. If you're still having trouble with Bank of America, let me know the specifics. I've got an account there myself, and I'll be happy to help. :)

• sampler
    sampler
    Community Member

Thanks for responding, brenty!

• I'm not running v6 and v7 together. I deleted v7, but kept the support files.
    • I was mistaken in thinking that I could delete entries in the browser app. Thanks for pointing that out
    • Security answers for BOA: I didn't put them into the login or username fields. I had set up BOA long before I installed v7. I first successfully logged into BOA with v7 last week, and I think that's when the substitutions took place. I recall a message asking whether I wanted to keep (unspecified) changes. I foolishly didn't investigate and must have said "Yes".
    • I'm sorry that without v7, I can't troubleshoot the duplicates issue. It doesn't occur in v6

v6 is running predictably without any problems so far. I'm quite happy the way it's going and grateful that 1PW is so robust that it can accommodate this setup.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019

@sampler - well, if it's working for you, then that's the main thing. A word of caution: especially if you are a Safari user, the end of version 6's usability in macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) is in sight. I don't have a definite end-date, but Apple has already completely altered the extension format (from the older .safariextz extension format to the newer Safari App Extension format), and they've said they'll be retiring the only place to even install the older-style extension (the Safari Extensions Gallery) in the not-too-distant future. So by all means, continue to use version 6 if you like for now, but know that it's not any kind of a reliable solution indefinitely.

• sampler
    sampler
    Community Member

@Lars - Thanks for the heads up.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sampler: Just to clarify, you can delete items in 1Password mini, just not using a keyboard shortcut (as it would be easy to misfire there). Instead, if you Edit the item, you'll have a Trash option there. Anyway, let us know if you need anything else. Happy New Year! :)

This discussion has been closed.