How do I generate completely new password in 1Password 7.2.4, iOS 12?

Options
Nekoninda
Nekoninda
Community Member

From time to time, I need to generate a completely new password (NOT replacing a current password) on my iPhone, for a completely new site or other purpose. Sometimes it is for a new website login. Sometimes it is outside of the web, such as sitting at my bank, establishing a new account, or even showing a friend how great 1Password is. I fail in this demo, because I can't show how to generate a completely new password in iOS. I can never remember what I did last time I tried, and I can't figure it out in a reasonable amount of time.

It's easy for me in 1Password mini 7.2.4 on my Mac. 'Password Generator' appears in the sidebar, whenever I open it. It's not as easy in the full 1Password version on my Mac, at least I haven't found as easy a way to generate and see a completely new password as in the mini version. I can eventually get there via File>New Item>Password or File>New Item>Login. Both of these will show the a row of dots in the password field, but there is no indication of a way reveal that password, or any details about it, in the way I am used to with 1Password mini. Clicking the gear icon will generate a different new password. I eventually found that clicking in the undefined space between the dots and the gear will reveal the current password, initially hidden as a row of dots. Why don't you have a pop-up saying Reveal and Copy, like you do in 1Password mini? It seems like programmers like to hide features.

In iOS, generating a completely new password is even more obscure, to me. I may have done it once or twice successfully, but I never remember how, and sometimes, I can't find it at all. Apparently, I'm not alone. This morning, I decided I would really learn the method on your website. I've watched about ten of your videos, and read about twenty forum questions that include 'generate password' in the topic title, but none of them have shown me a simple way to generate a completely new password in iOS, especially when I am not in a browser. Many of them were several years old, and I didn't find any for the most recent versions of iOS and 1Password.

Can you give me a link to a video or article that explains an easy way to generate a completely new password in iOS 12 and 1Password 7.2.4? Would you consider making it simpler and more obvious in a future version? Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 7.2.4
OS Version: iOS 12.1.2
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• persona
    persona
    Community Member
    Options

I often want to generate passwords in iOS 1Password also. Looks like that functionality isn't provided. Is this the case?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just tap the + at the top and create a new Login item, where you'll have the password generator below the password field. In the vast majority of cases, a generated password is something you'll want to save so that, well...you don't lose it forever, since you probably can't remember it. But if it is something you really don't need to keep -- i.e. for demonstration purposes -- you can just cancel and never save it. Cheers! :)

• persona
    persona
    Community Member
    Options

When I enter a password into a new login, I'm usually prompted to save it anyway within iOS (Safari or 1Password or just by iOS - not sure which), so it's not just for demos that I might want an unsaved new password. At the moment, I have to make 7 key presses, only to find out I can't just generate a password without entering a web address (on a new login), nor can I simply copy the generated password. I think it should be quicker and easier to generate a password even when a new item is not to be created in 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1Password cannot automatically prompt you to save, so that's definitely iOS. I don't think we should be designing 1Password around you using something not 1Password. It's entirely outside of our control, and we also recommend disabling non-1Password saving/filling since it's easy to get confused about where things are saved, it's not cross-platform compatible, and it's notoriously difficult to get data out of iOS/iCloud Keychain.

This discussion has been closed.