To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Free trial expired...? Why? I have the full version a long time.

I bought 1PW a long time ago in the app-store (3-4-2012) (also the iPhone version) and I am using 1PW6 al long time without any problems. Now suddenly I got the message that my free trial is expired. What can I do about it? Please can you help me?
Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 6.8.9. (689001)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• tingfuluen
    tingfuluen
    Community Member

I have this problem too

1Password
    Version 6.8.8 (688001)
    Mac App Store

purchased in 2015

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Unfortunately 1Password has no way of knowing whether or not you've purchased it unless you register the app with your license information.

But the good news is that all you need to do is follow the instructions in the license email you received from your purchase and click the link to automatically install the license in 1Password to register the app and remove the trial restrictions. Just keep in mind that a license is only valid for the specific version you purchased.

However, if you've signed up for a free trial of a 1Password.com membership, a license doesn't apply to that. Once the trial ends, the account will be frozen unless you have an active membership. If you don't want to use that, just sign out of the account (Preferences > Accounts).

But you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. If you'd like to take advantage of all of its benefits, just shoot us an email at sales@1password.com so we can help you make the transition. :)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

@brenty You should be more careful! Both the posters bought in the Mac App Store. So there is no licence and the purchase is tied to their Apple ID.

@erwinbeemster @tingumaster It would be worth checking what is said in 1Password > Preferences > Accounts and also what is said in About 1Password. If you are still on 1PW6 this shouldn't happen, and I wonder if you have somehow got into the subscription mode and just need to get out of it.

I would also point out that, though 1PW6 will continue functioning for a while, you should in due course upgrade to 1PW7 for security and compatibility. 1PW7 from the App Store is subscription only, but direct from AgileBits you can use either a licence or a subscription. In either case you have to pay to move from 1PW6.

• erwinbeemster
    erwinbeemster
    Community Member

@Brenty. Whether 1PW knows or not, my app always functioned without a problem. Also on my iPhone. A long time ago I bought both (for a lot of money) without ever have to think about accounts, extra safe boxes, family accounts etc. It just worked.

Now suddenly this message showed up, without ever seeing a message box like this before.
    Reading all the other complaints, I am not the only one.

So please tell me, how can we fix that, without having to pay again for an app that worked just fine?
    In fact: now two apps I payed for don't work as it supposed to be.

Thanks in advance.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019

@danco: I appreciate you making the point. Unfortunately it isn't a foregone conclusion. 1Password has been a free app with in-app purchases for years, so having "purchased" it for free from the App Store doesn't really help; they would have needed to pay to unlock it. :blush:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@erwinbeemster: Install the 1Password version you purchased from where you purchased it and then register it (if necessary). That is the only solution. Since it sounds like you bought it from the Mac App Store, you'll need to reinstall it from the purchase history of the Apple ID you used to pay for it*:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201272#apps

That's the only way the App Store will validate the purchase. There isn't anything we can do to change that. If you're having trouble with your App Store purchases, you'll need to contact Apple.

*Keep in mind that 1Password is a free download with an in-app purchase for a subscription or to unlock the "standalone" app. So it can be in your purchase history without you having paid for it; and without being paid for it will be read-only/frozen. So you may want to check your email receipt for the purchase to confirm.

P.S: I don't know what "two apps" you're talking about, so if there's something you haven't told me that's significant please share.

• erwinbeemster
    erwinbeemster
    Community Member

@brenty I just deleted the version 6.8.9. (689001) on my Macbook and installed the one that was in the history of the App Store.
    That seems to be version 6.8.9 (689000) !! and guess what?
    Everything works like it used to be.

So far everything is fine again.
    But how is it possible that my version updated to 689001 without my knowledge?
    Maybe a strategy to force me slightly to an update?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I just deleted the version 6.8.9. (689001) on my Macbook and installed the one that was in the history of the App Store. That seems to be version 6.8.9 (689000) !! and guess what? Everything works like it used to be.

@erwinbeemster: Glad to hear it! Thanks for the update! :)

So far everything is fine again. But how is it possible that my version updated to 689001 without my knowledge?

689001 is available only from our website. It would have had to have been installed from there. The App Store doesn't have that build, could not install it, and it wouldn't work properly anyway since it wasn't designed for the Mac App Store. The only way it could have been installed without your knowledge would be if you've given someone else full access to your computer. Or gremlins. And I doubt that either would be motivated to remove the App Store version only to install the slightly different 6.8.9 release from our website instead. So I'm guessing you just did it by mistake. ;)

Maybe a strategy to force me slightly to an update?

That's a good one! Happy New Year! :lol:

This discussion has been closed.