1Password 7.3 Beta 6 is out with custom keyboard shortcuts support!

We hope you had a great holidays so far. We have one more beta update for you before we start the new year and for Beta 6, we're continuing to polish our new installer and Watchtower features but we want to give you one more new feature. Custom keyboard shortcuts are here! In case we don't sneak in another beta update, we want to say from our team at 1Password, Happy New Year!

Known issues:

1. You may notice your current keyboard shortcuts are migrated to a different key in Microsoft's Parallels VM image for IE. This is due to their keyboard settings for that VM; the default keyboard shortcut switches to Control + Alt + ` instead of Control + Alt + \
    We're not sure why but it does not happen in other virtual machines or normal hardware, you'll have to switch the shortcut manually for that VM only.
  2. There isn't a reliable method to migrate Control + Alt + # (default for German and other international locales) to the same shortcut in 1Password 7.3 update. When we convert it properly, Windows returns it as Control + Alt + 3 (# is shift + 3) instead.

Changelog

[NEW] Customize your own keyboard shortcuts for 1Password. {OPW-1514}
[IMPROVED] You can disable specific shortcuts now in 1Password, select "Disabled" in the shortcut's dropdown menu. {OPW-1514}
[IMPROVED] Improved handling with international keyboards for 1Password shortcuts. {OPW-1514}
[IMPROVED] Added a shortcut for opening the main 1Password window. {OPW-1882}
[IMPROVED] General improvements and bug fixes for our installer; updating from 7.2 stable to 1Password 7.3 builds is more reliable.
[FIXED] 1Password would incorrectly show Weak Password banner as default in all items without a password. {OPW-3662}
[FIXED] Certain large standalone vaults couldn't be compressed fully due to its size. {OPW-3678}
[FIXED] 1Password would halt its sync or import when it encountered one problematic item it couldn't import, even if there were more items to import. Now, it'll notify about skipped items but continue to import the rest of the data. {OPW-3676}
[FIXED] In certain rare conditions, opening the main 1Password window from the notification icon wouldn't do anything.
[FIXED] A few missing separator bars in the Setting views.

Comments

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Hi, not sure if this is related to the new installer, or something else on my system, but for the past 2-3 betas - each time 1Password launches after the update, it's also opened another icon at the end of my taskbar (I think).

1Password is already pinned to my taskbar before starting the update. So, I have to unpin the existing icon, then pin the new one in place. Unfortunately, I'm a bit vague on the details, as I carry out the unpinning/pinning of these icons almost without thinking. Have you experienced anything similar?

• Hi @pbryanw,

opened another icon at the end of my taskbar (I think).

If you hover over the icons, did it disappear? It sounds like Windows didn't remove the previous icon for you.

1Password is already pinned to my taskbar before starting the update. So, I have to unpin the existing icon, then pin the new one in place.

Wait, are you saying 1Password is adding more pinned taskbar icons? Notification tray and taskbar icons are two separate things.

I'm not seeing this, we no longer install to new locations, so 1Password is now reusing the previous locations, thus there is no more pin updates required.

• Hi @pbryanw,

Can you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, it is possible 1Password is seeing an error when it tries to fix the icon but couldn't, so it created a new one. Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Morning,
    I don't really want to open a new conversation about this, because I'm pretty sure you will address this in a later release, so I hope it's okay to write it here:

I've noticed in this build, that the buttons are written in german.
    But the machines primary language never was german (always english), only the keyboard is set to only german.
    I'm pretty sure this problem will also occur if somebody else chooses english as the OS language but not as the keyboard language.

Thanks ~lumarel

• @lumarel Good morning! Yes, buttons are labelled according to the currently active keyboard layout. It's the way system function works, we ask Windows to tell us how some virtual key code should be named and it tells us the name. You should see them in English when your keyboard is switched to English.

P.S. Happy New Year!

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Hi @SergeyTheAgile
    Ah okay, this makes totally sense, thank you for the quick answer! :+1:
    I'm was just curious if it would be possible to show them in english as well, if possible, to not break the overall "design" 8-)

And I just noticed, that I never heared of the Key "ZirkumFlex", but thats maybe also my local germans problem, we just call it "hoch" or "Dach" :unamused:
    But thats of course Windows' problem

And happy New Year to you too :chuffed:

• Hi @lumarel,

We're always happy to improve the software, we just need to hear from you guys as we don't really hear from many international users about these things.

I'm not sure what you mean to "not break the overall design". If you could explain on how it "breaks it", we could understand the use case better.

Also, just to be clear, are you using a physical English keyboard but with German software keyboard, is that why you prefer English? That would make more sense to me.

Also, we should see if we can avoid all upper-case names as well.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Hey @MikeT :chuffed:

As you know I gladly mention any improvement or thought I can provide :+1:

Sorry for that not so well explained thing, I just thought it's part of the design to have everything in one language, espacially if there is already a dropdown for the language. So if I select english also everything belonging to the 1P GUI should be in english :unamused:
    More clearly I think when english is selected, even if the keyboard says i.e. STRG it should show ctrl :chuffed:

As I'm living in Austria which is one of the german speaking countries, so we have the QWERTZ keyboard layout. And because over the last years I had so much to do in the international room, I nearly completely switched to an english OS.
    But as I first learned the QWERTZ layout I stuck with it until now.
    To sum up: System language always english (US), but keyboard layout (software and hardware) german QWERTZ.

This looks like that in the settings (to achieve this I always have to install with english as OS and german as keyboard language, but then look after these settings and remove the english keyboard layout which mostly also gets added)

I agree with you but that could also be a personal feeling of mine to not really like CAPS writing :+1:

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

Hi @lumarel,

Thanks for that, we really appreciate it!

The problem is that we don't actually store any of the names, we poll the system's to return all virtual keys (256 keys) available on the current keyboard (if we ask something else like english layout, the key you select may not work or it'd enter a different key). Once we have the keys, then we poll the system again to return the textual name of the keys because you're not going to know what 0x50 is, so we ask and it returns P in the form of upper case only, it wasn't our code that set it up like that. That's how we get the entire list of keys for you to select.

In case anyone wonders why we're doing the UI like this instead of just simply asking you to press the keys like in some other apps; we actually did that first on three separate occasions over the past year and and it turns out to be very fragile/not reliable for our current codebase that has various technologies in place. That doesn't mean it may never come but it may change in time as we continue to evolve 1Password and integrating new technology to replace the older ones, which is already ongoing since the birth of 1Password 6.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Hey @MikeT,

You're welcome! :chuffed:

And I understand what you mean, I just thought about a translation table for these names but maybe something like this is not possible.
    But I'm sure you will find the best possible way :+1:

• Yea, we'll figure something out.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Hi, I've just upgraded to the 7.3.648.BETA, and am happy to report no problems with 1Password's taskbar icon - it kept working perfectly after the update (and a duplicate wasn't created).

I've sent the requested diagnostics report to you, so please disregard this email. I think the problem must have been due to an issue on my PC, rather than any bug in 1Password :blush:

• Hi @pbryanw,

That's great to hear, we had a glitch in 7.4.647 beta but pulled it right away and released 648 right after. I've just posted the changelog for 1Password 7.3 Beta 7 here.

• Partlan
    Partlan
    Community Member

Hi,

I'm a user from Germany (using a German Windows 10 and keyboard layout) and I would like to know, why you needed to migrate the shortcut (Ctrl + (Alt +) #). Currently the shortcut is Ctrl + (Alt +) 3 but that collides with a function of Google Chrome where you can pick a specific tab, using Ctrl + NUMBER. So I would like to know, maybe from another German user, if somebody found a good shortcut (Ctr + ???) which does not break any other shortcut.

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Partlan: As far as "why". please read Mike's announcement at the top of this discussion:

1Password 7.3 Beta 6 is out with custom keyboard shortcuts support!

We don't have any control over what shortcuts are taken by other software, but there are many key combinations available on a normal Windows system.

• Hi @Partlan,

As Brenty mentioned, we couldn't convert the saved shortcut to match the previous shortcut, it gets converted by Windows to Control + Alt + 3.

For fresh installs, they default to Control + Alt + #.

You can still have the same shortcut, you have to select # like this:

• Partlan
    Partlan
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT,

thanks for your help! Now I get it.

• You're welcome, sorry about this. I'll see if we can figure out a better way to notify users of this change.

This discussion has been closed.