Browser extension and 1P mini don't work until 1P desktop app is opened.

Kino
Kino
Community Member

I've tried searching and found a number of similar reports, but couldn't find a solution that works for me.

After my Mac is rebooted or the user logs in, the browser (Firefox) extension doesn't do anything when clicked. It does get a gray box around it and a "1Password" name pop up when the cursor is hovered on it. It just doesn't do anything. The 1P mini icon in the Menu bar also doesn't do anything when clicked.

However, when the 1Password desktop app is opened, the browser extension and 1P mini perform normally.

I tried the solution of removing and reinstalling the browser extension then restarting the computer, but the problem persists.

I tried to download the 1PasswordTroubleshooting app, but it has been downloading for over five minutes now and doesn't look like it will ever finish.

1Password Version: 7.2.4 (70204000)
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:browser extension and mini don't work after logging in

Comments

• Are there any other copies of 1Password on your Mac? These can be old versions saved in strange locations, or even on a backup disk. If so, the browser extension may be attempting to communicate with that old version, and failing.

• Kino
    Kino
    Community Member

Thanks, chadseld.

Not on my iMac, but there are on backup HDs. I'll do some experimenting to test your theory.

• Kino
    Kino
    Community Member

The three external HDs where 1P appears are two for Time Machine and one for CCC backups. I restarted my iMac with all three HDs running and, of course, the browser extension and 1P mini work fine.

With a data point count of one, I don't know whether it's safe to say that multiple copies of 1P across connected HDs is not causing my issue. I can say that I've had the same HD setup for a long time, on various iMacs, and it's just recently started happening.

If the problem reappears, I'll try further testing next year.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Kino - thanks for the additional exploration of the issue, and definitely keep us in the loop if you notice further issues. It's possible that, if you do, by that time we'll have other data points as well. Happy New Year! :)

This discussion has been closed.