Family plan 1Password 7 License

lungrunner
lungrunner
Community Member

I have had 1Password since version 3. I upgraded my Mac to version 7 family plan but cannot find my license with FastSpring. I tried contacting them but to no avail. My wife has version 6 on an older Mac but purchased a new Mac with Mohave. She wants to download 1Password 7 but we cannot find the license. I have version 6 license if that helps. If you can help me could you also explain how she finds her Primary Vault on the Mac OS X desktop version? She has it available on her iOS devices.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.1
Sync Type: iCloud?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lungrunner - sorry for the confusion.

I upgraded my Mac to version 7 family plan but cannot find my license with FastSpring.

That would be because we do not sell a Family License for 1Password 7 for Mac, via FastSpring or anywhere else. The "family" product for 1Password since about a year and a half ago is now 1Password Families, which is a 1Password membership/account. Is this perhaps what you set up? If so, it would explain why FastSpring has no data on you.

My wife has version 6 on an older Mac but purchased a new Mac with Mohave. She wants to download 1Password 7 but we cannot find the license.

Again, no "family" license for 1Password 7 for Mac. If you did indeed create a 1Password account, you can sign into it in a browser at https://start.1password.com and then (if it is already a 1Password Families account) invite your wife. If you have an individual account, click the "Invite People" link in the right sidebar of your account in a browser; this will convert your Individual account into a 1Password Families account, then you can invite her.

If your wife has her 1Password data only on her iOS devices but not on the Mac, then once you've invited her and she's signed up, she would need to migrate her data on one of her iOS devices. From there, she can sign into her account in 1Password on any/all devices she uses (including the new Mac). Don't forget to remove the old Primary vault on each device once you've added the account. Hope that helps! :)

• dermrunner
    dermrunner
    Community Member

Thanks Lars. If I invite my wife for a Family Account does this mean I am permitting her to share access to my Vault? Or, can she have her own separate Vault?

• Each account within the membership gets their own Personal account (not shared), as well as access to the default "Shared" vault.

Ben

• dermrunner
    dermrunner
    Community Member

Thank you. But I am very confused about this. I went onto my iMacPro 1password. Apparently I have a Individual Acct. There is not option to change to Family Plan in the right sidebar. It looks like that was purchased via iTunes Store (rather than App Store, which I do not understand). But back to my wife's old computer and her 1Password App version 6. It says that it is licensed under me, William Hooper, and below it says that "this license can be used by 5 people on as many Macs as needed". It says this was purchased January 12, 2014. So, my question is what are the steps needed to download either 1Password 6 like she has on her old Mac and transfer to her new Mac with Mohave or how does she (or me, since apparently I am the one licensed on her Mac) upgrade to 1Password 7 and have her own Vault?

• dermrunner
    dermrunner
    Community Member

PS.. I am signed in under her username dermrunner but my 1Password UN is toplung@xxxxx. Should I be logged into this Forum under my Account?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@demrunner - if you have paid via an Apple Subscription, that's more complicated, as there's no direct route to switch from a single individual subscription to a 1Password Families subscription like there is with our version. You'll need to use the instructions at this link to cancel the existing individual subscription with Apple, then let us know you've done so via email to support+forum@agilebits.com and we can help get you set up on a direct billing for a 1Password Families account (and you should be able to then add your wife, once we've done that).

You say the old license you're referring to was purchased on January 12, 2014 -- nearly five years ago! At that time, version 4.1.3 of 1Password for Mac was the current version. That license never expires, but it's good only for the version you purchased (in this case, version 4, though we did give all customers with version 4 licenses free upgrades to both version 5 and version 6). That means the most-recent version of 1Password you'd be able to license using that older purchase would be 1Password 6 for Mac. 1Password 7 for Mac represents the first time we have charged for a full-version upgrade since late 2013 when 1Password for Mac 4.0 was released. If you would like your wife to use 1Password 7 for Mac on Mojave, she will need to download and install version 7 from our downloads page and then either become a member of your 1Password Families account (if you create one), or she would need to purchase a standalone license for version 7. Standalone licenses are currently at the "launch special" price of $49.99, but will be rising to their regular price of $64.99 at some point in the not-too-distant future.

My recommendation for you would be to go the 1Password Families route, for two reasons:

1. You already have an Individual account for yourself. That's been costing (and will continue to cost) you $3.99/mo. If you follow my instructions in the first paragraph here and switch to direct billing through us of a 1Password Families account, you'd be paying only $4.99/mo (if paid annually), meaning for an additional $1/mo (or $12/yr), your wife could use 1Password 7, instead of having to pay $50 for a standalone license, each time we release a new version (I can guarantee it won't be another five years before we do so again).
    2. On top of that, in 1Password Families, each member gets his/her own Personal/Private vault, as well as access to the family-wide Shared vault (in addition to numerous other advantages . That makes sharing 1Password items, like the family Netflix password or joint bank account logins, as simple as can be. No more copying items and sending them insecurely via email or something similar, updating them on one person's computer and forgetting to do so on the other's: just make any changes, and everyone sees the same data instantly, synced automatically via the 1password.com servers.

However, the choice is yours: if you want to purchase a standalone license of 1Password 7 for Mac for your wife, you're more than welcome to do so. Hope this helps clarify, but feel free to ask any follow-up questions. :)

• lungrunner
    lungrunner
    Community Member

I would like to cancel my Apple and go with your Family plan for me (and my wife). Once I cancel my Apple account will my current 1Password vault not be accessible until I hear from you and setup the Family account? Will I have any problem canceling and going with you and still being able to access my current vault with 780 items!!

• lungrunner
    lungrunner
    Community Member

Lars, I am sorry about this mess!!!! When I go online with my email and password I am told that I have an Individual Account. Not Family. But I have an email from AgileBits 1/7/2018 to toplung@pacbell.net that tells me I purchased licenses from AgileBits Store (I went to the Apple App Store and I do not have 1Password via them!). But I have a Family license for 1 Password 3 for Mac with a key (I have keys for every year of renewal as well with upgrades) AND 1Password 6 for Mac that says Family License. Does that not mean I already have what I need to include my wife? Yet, the 1Password website when I log on says Individual License. Should I hit "Click here to Apply your 1Password License from that 2018 email? But that was for 1Password 6 and I now have 1Password 7. What to do????

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lungrunner - don't panic. But please do read this:

There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

With a 1Password account:

• You sign up for an account at the main 1Password  sign-up page.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

As a standalone product:

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately (these are what you have for previous versions. We used to sell "family licenses"; we don't anymore)
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You create local 1Password vaults, and if you like, choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain only on your device.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made.

You will still be able to access your 1Password vault, but it will be (temporarily) in Frozen status. I say "temporarily" because as soon as you cancel the Apple subscription, you'll contact us via email at the address I gave in a previous reply. With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/482971/#Comment_482971
    • Your forum username: @lungrunner

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your email in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here in this thread so I can track down the email and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I can switch over to email, I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• lungrunner
    lungrunner
    Community Member

Unsubscribed from Apple. Sent email to support+forum@agilebits.com. Awaiting BitBot Assistant with support ID number. Has not arrived yet.

• lungrunner
    lungrunner
    Community Member

Bingo! here it is support ID is [#KTM-25893-671. Happy New Year, by the way, Lars!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lungrunner - thanks! I'll reply there in a moment. Happy New Year! :)

ref: KTM-25893-671

• markhawtin
    markhawtin
    Community Member

Quick question.. I too have a 1Password7 license. I have two laptops, a 13" and 17".. The 13" is 'subscribed' and the 17" is in 'trial' mode. Please advise..

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @markhawtin! If you have a license, then you shouldn't be subscribed. There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

With a 1Password account:

• You sign up for an account at the main 1Password  sign-up page.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

As a standalone product:

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately.
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You create local 1Password vaults, and if you like, choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain only on your device.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made.

Can you clarify what you've purchased or subscribed to? Thanks.

• markhawtin
    markhawtin
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick reply Lars. I have a family subscription. At this stage, I am hoping to use 1password on both laptops. My 13" laptop is showing as 'subscribed', however my 17" is showing 'subscribe for £5.99 per month' and 'trial'. Both laptops are successfully showing my vault. Should both laptops show the 'subscribed' message in preferences?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@markhawtin - on the 17", if you open 1Password Preferences > Vaults, what is the name of the vault(s)?

• lungrunner
    lungrunner
    Community Member

Lars, just following up. What is the next step (See your last reply Jan 1)? Do I have to do any thing special on my wife's Vault so we can find it? Same about mine. What do I need to do to find my vault when I obtain a family license. Anything special?

• lungrunner
    lungrunner
    Community Member

My Vault has a little white flag with a blue emblem. I think that means I have it saved at 1Password iCloud. Is that correct? I used to have it on DropBox and then Mac iCloud but I believe that has changed. Her vault is synced with iCloud. Looking forward to hearing about your plan for us and the next steps

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lungrunner - let's keep this conversation going via email instead of discussing specific details of your setup here in this public forum, if that's OK with you? Thanks. A little blue flag does indeed mean you have signed into your 1Password account within 1Password for Mac.

• lungrunner
    lungrunner
    Community Member

Ok, Lars. Will do.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.