hello set up account today but never wrote down the secret key. I can't log in without it. what now

ValandMike
ValandMike
Community Member

hello and Happy New Years! I set up account today but never wrote down the secret key. I planned to take a photo but walked away and when i came back the system had kicked me out. I can't log in without it. I have tried everything on your site but nothing works because I can't log into my account. No one i know has an account so I can't have another person log in. I would like to cancel this account and start a new one, but how do i do that if i can't log in. what now??

PS: my secret key starts with this: A3-8QYHVP

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:hello set up account today but never wrote down the secret key. I can't log in without it. what now

Comments

• Hi ValandMike,

The secret key should still be stored on the device you used to set up your account. So, if you created your account through the website (e.g. Safari) you should be able to log in with just your password there. Likewise, if you created your account using the 1Password app, you should be able to sign in to the app with just your password.

If you are able to sign in on that original device, you can locate your secret key by following the instructions here:
    https://support.1password.com/secret-key/

If you are not able to recover your secret key with the above, let me know. We can initiate an account deletion from our end so that you can start over.

• ValandMike
    ValandMike
    Community Member

Hi Chad, thanks for the info. when i go back to that device and go to 1password.com in order to sign in, i have to enter my secret key in order to sign in. this is a Catch 22. Don't get it.

• Ok, it sounds like the Secret Key was never saved to that device. I've sent an account deletion email to your email address. Follow the instructions to complete the deletion. Then you will be able to create a new account and start over.

• ValandMike
    ValandMike
    Community Member

ok, thank you so much!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ValandMike - on behalf of @chadseld, you're quite welcome!

This discussion has been closed.