Trying to find Secret Key and sign-in address

I became one of the many. I have ver. 4.62.6.2.6 of 1Password that My wife purchased in 2014 from your website. I have no clue about an account. I just purchased a new PC with win 10 and downloaded 1Password from your website. I came up with a window "add your 1Password account" It is asking for a SIGN-IN ADDRESS and a SECRET KEY and I don't have a clue on how to find this.. One of the suggestions was to download google chrome to get an emergency kit. I already have 2 browsers and don't need another. Why couldn't I have just downloaded 1Password to the new PC and sign-in like I normally do on my old PC. I am just going around circles.

Any help will be well appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:how do I find secret key

Comments

• Hi @geojo,

Thanks for writing in.

It sounds like you downloaded 1Password 7 for Windows which support both 1Password.com memberships and standalone vaults. The sign-in address and secret key is only for 1Password.com users, you'd have to use the other options to open your existing standalone vaults.

However, if you do not use 1Password.com account or you don't plan to upgrade to 1Password 7 for Windows, you can uninstall 1Password 7 and download the old 1Password 4 from the bottom right on the downloads page here: https://1Password.com/downloads/

• geojo
    geojo
    Community Member

why does 1Password make things so difficult to transfer to a new PC. I tried to backup to a zip drive on old PC, does not work.....tried to backup to an external HD....does not work. Tried to backup to a dvd, that did not work,,,,.finally I downloaded my backups to my desktop and this DID work. When I tried to send it email, this is what I came in the e-mail I am trying to send to my new PC....".Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving certain types of file attachments. Check your e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled."(HOW DO I DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!) I HAVE INCREDIMAIL...
    WHAT GOES ON here. Why are things made so difficult.

PS... I did download Password 4

Can you please help, I would really appreciate it

• Hi @geojo,

First, we can't help with your email service or the external drive issues, we have no control over how that works but for security reasons, you're not supposed to send files like that over email. You definitely should never email or upload your sensitive 1Password data over email, emails are not secured by nature.

1Password with standalone vaults are more difficult because you have to manage your encrypted data by yourself. You copy your standalone vaults to other computers like you do with any folders. We have a detailed guide that helps with copying over your 1Password standalone vault to your new computer here: https://support.1password.com/new-device/#move-your-data-with-a-usb-flash-drive/?windows

Did you try that?

If you do not want to deal with backups, managing your vaults by yourself, then you can consider using our 1Password.com memberships instead. WIth this, you get your own 1Password.com account and all you have to do is sign in on the new computer, the data will show up automatically. Plus, you can also share data with your wife and other family members easily with 1Password Family plan. If you want to learn more, click here: https://support.1password.com/explore/membership/

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I think when you have to manage your own vaults, it can be difficult, but the 1Password.com membership makes everything work really well.

• We agree 1Password memberships make things a lot easier, @Tomatoshadow2! That's one reason we encourage folks who are willing to choose that route. 1Password memberships were designed to be simple and low-maintenance and I'm glad you feel we've managed to meet that goal. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.