online login

burton
burton
Community Member

hello, i have a family license from 2014, cant get old user on and cant access secret key to login online. I never had an online account before

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:liscense from 2014, cant get old user on and cant access secret key to login online

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @burton! I'm sorry for the confusion. You can't access a Secret Key because you don't have one; Secret Keys are only for 1password.com accounts. Can you tell me a bit more about what you're trying to do, and what's not working the way you expect? What does "can't get old user on" mean?

• burton
    burton
    Community Member

Thanks for getting back to me Lars. I got a family subscription several years ago and my wife tried it but didnt continue using it. When I downloaded it again for her today it still has her master PW in place but she cannot retrieve it even with the prompt. It seems that I can take the step to delete her data and start over as the easiest option. ???

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@burton - 1Password accounts (subscriptions) have been available only since 2016, so while I suppose it might depend on your definition of "several," if you're thinking longer ago than that, then it wasn't a subscription/account, it was a standalone license.

Either way, however, you can click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password data and reset all that old data, as long as you're certain that's what you want to do -- all that data will be lost. Once you restart 1Password after that, it will be as if she is a new user. If your wife is planning to be a standalone user and she's also going to be using 1Password 7 for Mac, you'll need to download that directly from our downloads page, since the Mac App Store version is now membership-only. Let us know if you have any questions!

• burton
    burton
    Community Member

OK, so if I am still running OSX 10.11.6 el capitan, and she is OSX 10.12.6 sierra, should I download the same version of 1 password for her as for me, 6.8.9 or the 7? And yes, she will be a stand alone user.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@burton - 1Password 7 for Mac is an entirely new, full-version upgrade to 1Password, and as such, it requires a new purchase (or a 1password.com subscription). If you have a license for version 4, then versions 5 and 6 were actually free upgrades. You can download version 6.8.9 (which was the final version of 1Password 6 for Mac) from our downloads page (scroll down to the "using an older computer" section near the bottom), and install that on your wife's Mac.

• burton
    burton
    Community Member

Super, thanks so much for the help Lars. I think you product is fantastic! And your support too.

• burton
    burton
    Community Member

It is interesting that even though I downloaded version 7 my wife's master password prompt still appeared.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@burton - you're quite welcome! Glad to help. Thanks for the kind words. :)

Can you tell me a bit more about what you mean by "my wife's Master Password prompt still appeared?" If you used the Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data command, you should not receive any "prompt" at all.

• burton
    burton
    Community Member

Her MP prompt appeared after the download of version 7 when we tried to enter the MP there. I have not downloaded the 6.8.9 yet therefore not done a delete data.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@burton - ah, well, then that'll be the issue. It sounds as if you're using the same user account on your Mac as well. I'd recommend the two of you use separate user accounts on your Mac to keep not only 1Password data but many other programs' data, separate. On my iMac, my wife and I each have a user account. That way, when she opens her "side" of the computer and launches 1Password, she sees her own data. When I open my "side" and launch 1Password, I see my data.

• burton
    burton
    Community Member

That doesnt make sense though, we have two seperate computers. 1PW 7 loaded onto hers still had her MP prompt show up when she did not get the MP right. Could it be that she still has the old 1PW software on her computer?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@burton - I can't say -- I suppose it's possible. But that's not really the issue here. The issue is that (unlike in iOS), on your Mac, the 1Password data is not stored in the app itself. You can delete and re-install the actual app all day long, without ever affecting the stored data. Only a reset of the data (using the command I mentioned earlier) will remove that data. Hope that helps! :)

• burton
    burton
    Community Member

I got it all working Lars, thanks again for the help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@burton - Thanks for the update. That's excellent news! I'm glad I was able to help you get things squared away. Please let us know if there's anything further we can do to assist you. Otherwise, have a great weekend, and thanks for being a 1Password user!

This discussion has been closed.