Item-Icon gets taken from wrong URI

lumarel
lumarel
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hey,

With the new beta so much great features appeared again, thank you for that! :chuffed:

As you added the option to edit the icon, I want to bring up a small problem I have already discovered earlier but due to the status of this part I didn't mention it up to now:

So, this is the picked icon of the internal website https://vcenter.fritz.box/ui, which is just wrong, that got picked from fritz.box :unamused:
I don't know how the gather-process works, but I think it shouldn't really be picked by a root domain. Even the best would be if the complete URI would be considered because the icon can't be found behind https://vcenter.fritz.box only behind /ui :+1:

Yeah, that was it, one more time thanks :chuffed:

1Password Version: 7.3.648
Extension Version: 4.7.3.1
OS Version: Windows 10 1809 17763.195
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    edited January 2019

Hi @lumarel,

Thanks for reporting this.

Just to be clear, are we talking about a Rich Icon for that address or are we talking about you copying the URL to the image and using it in 1Password to paste it in as the custom icon?

The issue may be related to the .box top level domain, 1Password may not recognize it as such.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Hey @MikeT,

Yes I meant the automatically gathered rich icon for the item.
    I haven't come to the point where I added custom ones to some items :+1:

Hm, that's possible, there are definitely some domains on *.box. , fritz.box. is always an internal domain name as I know (is the default domain for Fritz!Box routers). But I don't have an account on any other *.box. domain so who knows.
    For IP-addresses there was never gathered a icon, that makes sense, but why then for all internal addresses with the dns name the routers icon, that's a little bit weird. :unamused:

• MikeT
    edited January 2019

Hi @lumarel,

In that case, it is possible someone suggested Fritz logo for the fritz.box domain and we've processed it for them to make it easier to see the specific items. We can try to accommodate certain internal domains if it is popular and consistent with all users and in this case, it is the default for Fritz!Box routers.

1Password 7 does not pull icons from accessing the site itself and we certainly don't use internal IP addresses either. Instead, 1Password checks with our Rich Icon service to see if there's a Rich Icon saved for the root domain (in this case; fritz.box) in our service and if yes, we'll pull it.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Ah, yes this makes totally sense :+1:
    If this is set to static for this domain the it is so, I can live with that.

Maybe you consider an additional button (beside the "change icon from file...") for the future to manually get the icon from the webserver?
    It sounds for me like you don't really want to implement such thing anymore, but would help a lot to get the icons for internal sites, so I don't have to preload them for all of them as well :chuffed:

And sorry I think I have already read about that in erlier posts, sorry for forgetting that :blush:

• Hi @lumarel,

Maybe you consider an additional button (beside the "change icon from file...") for the future to manually get the icon from the webserver?

We don't want to do that anymore but that is what the custom icon support is for, you can copy the direct link to the image hosted on the internal site (assuming no http auth is required) and edit the item, click the item's icon to save the image via the clipboard (1Password can download icon via the URL stored in the clipboard).

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Hey @MikeT,

I understand that, the first thing what rises in my mind to implement this would be to load the website and steal the rich icon, but this would need an browser, what makes it really complicated without the already built connection... Yeah :blush:

I first thought you mean via the "change icon from file..." button (that's not working so great with the limitations of explorer), but thanks for the hint! With the dev tools and the direct link it's kinda easy to get the icon :+1:
    Thanks a lot!

• You're welcome!

I understand that, the first thing what rises in my mind to implement this would be to load the website and steal the rich icon, but this would need an browser,

Technically; we don't really need the browser, favicon or touch icon is usually in a uniform location, so we can just send a request to see if the icon is there for us to pull or load the images for the user to choose. We had this support back in 1Password 4. We didn't restore it because there were issues with it; low quality icons, network glitches, etc. We may be able to bring it back in a future update but for now, we'll stick with Rich Icons as it provide the ability to anonymize the network requests and to customize icons for various platforms like on the smart devices with high-DPI screens.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Ah okay that makes even more sense from a security standpoint :chuffed:
    But thank you for the consideration :+1:

By the way, if a file with a wrong format is copied in there 1P crashes :lol:
    Bad me to try to copy an svg file.

• @lumarel thanks for the "wrong format" hint, we'll make sure it does not crash. There are few ways you can update icon:

• change icon from file (while this one asks for a file, you can actually paste URL to supported image)
    • change icon from clipboard when clipboard has an image (screenshot or right-click on image in browser and Copy image)
    • change icon from clipboard when clipboard has URL to the image (for example again right-click on image in browser and Copy Image Location)
  • lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Hi @SergeyTheAgile,

You're welcome :+1:

1. Thank you for the hint, but as I mentioned the explorer not always gets that right, especially with post/get parameters in the URI for the favicon :unamused: (but as well, if it's a self-signed https website with needed client cert)
    2. this is the technique where I found that, but if I don't trigger this really helpful.
    3. Oh that's possible? That's even better, thank you for the hint! :chuffed: (tested, doesn't always work, especially with small icons, but helps a lot!)
  • Hi @lumarel,

Oh that's possible? That's even better, thank you for the hint! :chuffed: (tested, doesn't always work, especially with small icons, but helps a lot!)

Me earlier in thread:

you can copy the direct link to the image hosted on the internal site (assuming no http auth is required) and edit the item, click the item's icon to save the image via the clipboard (1Password can download icon via the URL stored in the clipboard

Yep, we tried to make 1Password a bit smarter to know what is in the clipboard and paste it in. It even supports file:// URL where it is a file system link to a file on your drive.

By the way, if a file with a wrong format is copied in there 1P crashes :lol:
    Bad me to try to copy an svg file.

Interesting, I can't reproduce it. When I tested this SVG file (http://cdn.onlinewebfonts.com/svg/img_93271.svg), saved to disk first, 1Password says:

Can you give me the exact steps you're taking to cause the crash.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Hi @MikeT,

I might have overlooked that in my fast reading..

That makes it really easy thank you :+1:

Hm really interesting.. I can reproduce it with every file which isn't meant to be used, so I mean I didn't only test it with svgs, also with definitely not fitting files like .sln of Visual Studio..
    After more testing it just gets rejected without a message if the URI is used, but if the complete file is copied it crashes. So I downloaded your svg file and copied it then, then it crashes.

If I copy the link in the explorer window from the "change icon from file..." I get the error message. But that's the only time I get the error message..
    So to make it more clear, only the "from clipboard" button is affected.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Take any local file which shouldn't be allowed (even a log file works)
    2. Copy it
    3. Paste it with the provided button

• @lumarel got it, thanks! Fix is coming with next beta :)

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Great :chuffed:

• MikeT
    edited February 2019

:+1:

ref: opw/opw#3684

• Hi @lumarel,

Can you test the latest beta update to confirm it is no longer crashing for you?

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Morning @MikeT,

Yes it's not crashing anymore :+1:
    The popup, which appears with the "from file", is missing up to now, but that's one further step.
    Thank you :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent. Thanks for the update! :)

This discussion has been closed.