Concatenate Password with Onetime Password

Comments

• Hi @cdambo

That’s true. Thanks for the feedback.

Ben

• alkalifly
    alkalifly
    Community Member

Is this still being considered? It would be extremely helpful, probably for more people than you think.

• We're still open to the idea and are looking for additional feedback but don't have any definite plans at this point.

Ben

• eosterman
    eosterman
    Community Member

Let me add some additional context. The password+totp is one of the two most popular implementations for supporting 2-factor with "legacy" systems where it's not possible to add an additional field (or form) to capture the TOTP. It's also common for implementing TOTP with systems like OpenVPN or with libpam.

Two versions:
    a) Login with username & password, get reject. Login with username & totp, get accepted (amazon.com legacy systems)
    b) Login with username & password concatenated with TOTP (etrade) <-- what drove me to to this page.

-Erik

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I hadn't thought of it that way, but it makes sense now that you mention it. Thanks for the context! :)

• FrankRo
    FrankRo
    Community Member

+1 for this feature. I use the OpenVPN Client on my IOS devices with a Login name (stored in profile) + a concatened TOTP+passphrase as password to login (like b) in the posting from eosterman above)

• Thanks for the feedback @FrankRo. :)

Ben

• BLD
    BLD
    Community Member

+1 -- E*Trade user here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• allenarceneaux
    allenarceneaux
    Community Member

Another request. I need '4 digit pin'+OTP It's a real hassle to touch 1password it fills in OTP then use the touch keyboard to back up to the front and enter the 4 digit pin. Why can't you guys just look for quotes and a + when entering the key at setup time. Like '1234'+OTPKEY then when it generates just concatenate the otp to the quoted string.

I need this for Cisco vpn and several web sites.

• Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this @allenarceneaux. :+1:

Ben

• dawe
    dawe
    Community Member

Hello,

is it possible pre-/suffix OTPs?

My use case is an OTP that I need for establishing a VPN connection. The OTP is appended to my regular password.

It would be absolutely great if 1P could give me the regular password with the appended OTP generated by 1P.

Not able to find anything related to this special request.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• dawe
    dawe
    Community Member

Another VPN user here that needs to append the OTP to the "regular" password. Please make it happen. :)

Sounds so easy to implement, at least from the outside. ;P

• dawe
    dawe
    Community Member
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dawe - Merged. :) We'll continue to evaluate this, but as was mentioned earlier in this thread, it's not something we're currently working on. Thanks for letting us know your wishes on this, however. :)

• aburlapsack
    aburlapsack
    Community Member

+1, I'd like to have this feature to streamline my logins to OPNsense routers.

• Thanks @aburlapsack :)

Ben

• alefevre
    alefevre
    Community Member

+1 Same for me to log in to our environment
    username
    password
    pin+OTP concatenate

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @alefevre, and thanks for the feedback. :)

• hobbz
    hobbz
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

+1 -- USAA uses this as their 2-factor token method (PIN+OTP) as a replacement for using a password.

As an aside, they use the VIP token (Symantec), which can be utilized in 1Password using this guide: https://www.jackenhack.com/paypal-two-factor-authentication-1password/

PayPal seems to have gone to the standard OTP authenticator (i.e. compatible with Google/MS Authenticator and 1Password), and no longer uses these VIP keys.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Also, that's awesome! Thanks for mentioning it. It was stressing me out depending on the VIP trick continuing to work. Glad to switch to PayPal's official TOTP authenticator option. :chuffed:

• bgdnlp
    bgdnlp
    Community Member

Signed up just to +1 this request. Realizing it's uncommon, I have two cases where it would be useful, a Cisco VPN (pin + OTP) and an OpenVPN (password + OTP).

• Thanks for chiming in @bgdnlp. :)

Ben

• tampa_haze
    tampa_haze
    Community Member

I am also voting for this request. I have a need for PIN + OTP.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know. But keep in mind that by default 1Password will copy the TOTP code to the clipboard when filling the Login, so you can just paste it right there at the end of the password. :)

• FrankRo
    FrankRo
    Community Member

Sure, but this requires 2 1Password actions - 1st copy&paste Password, 2nd copy&paste TOTP - a „virtual combined field“ will be nice.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019

this requires 2 1Password actions - 1st copy&paste Password, 2nd copy&paste TOTP

@FrankRo: Not so:

1. ⌘ \
    2. ⌘ V

(Substitute Ctrl for if you're on Windows.)

a „virtual combined field“ will be nice.

It would certainly be appreciated by approximately a dozen people in this discussion, and possibly others as well. But we really need to prioritize working on features that benefit the largest number of people possible, and there are much bigger ones than this at this time. Sorry.

• FrankRo
    FrankRo
    Community Member

Ok, but on IOS I still need 2 c&p actions.

• Indeed.

Ben

• aviheletz
    aviheletz
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

+1 on this. we have several systems that rely on the permanent password concated with the OTP. when I say 'we' I mean the company I work for, which has about 6000 employees. Not all of us use 1password (it's my personal password manager) but we all have this use case.

This discussion has been closed.