On iOS12, iPad, 1PW ALWAYS asks me for the master even though I have 15-minutes b4 needing it

Scot
Scot
Community Member

On my iPad Pro, 1PW comes up from the bottom (not the share sheet) as expected. It usually requires me to put in the Master password. If I then use 1PW again -- even immediately -- it still requires the Master password even though in Settings, I have it set for 15-minutes before needing to use Touch ID. I spend more time inputting the Master password than just putting in the real password for the site :).

This does not happen on my iPhone 7+. If I'm in a position where I can use touch ID, I can use the Touch ID. If I again use 1PW immediately, it just comes up with the password list like normal.

So there is something about the iPad that isn't working, not iOS. I've checked settings, but can't see where anything relates to this.

TIA...Scot

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• BrianStegner2
    BrianStegner2
    Community Member

Welcome to the club. Same thing happening on an iPhone XS Max, with latest iOS and latest 1Password. I finally changed my so-called "master password" on the iPhone version of 1Password to a 4-digit number. It's ridiculous, still, but it beats having to type an uncrackable 26-digit password every time I use the app. Don't expect help; AgileBits' basic approach to tech support issues is somewhere between "That's not a bug, it's a feature," and "nobody else has that problem, sorry..." (usually followed by discussion/thread closed). When companies in tech start to go down the drain, the spiral increases in both depth and speed. Like the knowledge of impending death, it's one of those things that come up.... "slowly, at first, then all of a sudden."

• mata7
    mata7
    Community Member

same here is really start to get on my skin to the point of want to change to the competition, having to type my extremely long password is really annoying, the face id dont show anymore i have to type the master password even so im log in on my iphone or ipad, this never happen before, if this dont get fix i wont renew this year i already start the proceses to move to different password manager

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Scot: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! It sounds like you just need to unlock the 1Password app using your Master Password, and then biometrics should be available not only there but when using iOS 12 Password Autofill as well. Let me know how it goes. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BrianStegner2: I'm not sure what your beef is. If you need help with 1Password, let us know. Otherwise, if you just want to troll, you can do it elsewhere. :unamused:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mata7: Can you clarify? Are you unable to enable Face ID in 1Password?

• Scot
    Scot
    Community Member

@brenty No, not confused. On my iPad, after unlocking 1PW anywhere, I must always continue to unlock 1PW with the master password. It never converts to Touch ID.

Say I want to put in Credit Card information...card number, expiration date, cvv. Since I can’t remember anything. I open 1PW three times to input the three bits of information. Even if I unlock with the master password the first time, I still have to open it the next two times with the master password. It doesn’t go to Touch ID or just reopen as I have it set to not require any password for 15-minutes.

Yet, on the iPhone 7+, I never have this problem; it opens just fine.

• mata7
    mata7
    Community Member

@brenty: yes face id is enable, but still after 1 hour it want my master password

• mata7
    mata7
    Community Member

here is a example, after 1 hour 1password want my master password and dont let me use face id, the only way to use face id is by typing my long password first

1p.png 260.3K
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On my iPad, after unlocking 1PW anywhere, I must always continue to unlock 1PW with the master password. It never converts to Touch ID.

@Scot: Then there's something wrong with Touch ID. Please disable it in 1Password and iOS Settings, restart your device, and then set it up again.

Say I want to put in Credit Card information...card number, expiration date, cvv. Since I can’t remember anything. I open 1PW three times to input the three bits of information. Even if I unlock with the master password the first time, I still have to open it the next two times with the master password. It doesn’t go to Touch ID or just reopen as I have it set to not require any password for 15-minutes.

Just to clarify, Touch ID will only become available after you unlock the main 1Password app using your Master Password. If you're entering your Master Password to fill in your browser or an app, that will not enable Touch ID; that can only be done in 1Password itself.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mata7: Just to make sure we're on the same page, if you unlock the 1Password app using your Master Password first, you should be able to use biometrics there. Have you tried that? Are you using a 1Password.com membership subscription account, or a local vault?

• mata7
    mata7
    Community Member

that is what i just say, when i unlock the 1Password app using your my Master Password first i am able to use face id after that, but after one hour 1password want my master password again and that is annoying, before after i insert my master password after phone turn on face id or touch id will always work and never have to type my master password again until i restart the phone or phone shutdown, yes i have 1password.ca sub

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mata7: Yeah, that's not normal, I am not able to reproduce it here, and I haven't heard reports from anyone else that Face ID stops working after an hour. 1Password itself has no settings for that, and doesn't control if/when Face ID is available; that's all handled by the iOS hardware/software. Definitely try disabling Face ID and setting it up again.

However, one thing I do encounter a lot is Face ID being disabled because I've failed to authenticate, often without me even knowing it. If you are inadvertently triggering a Face ID authentication attempt multiple times in a row, you'll need to enter the Master Password to unlock 1Password, or the passcode to unlock your device. This happens to me a lot if I've got my phone on a table: it tries to unlock using Face ID, but since it can't fully see my face it fails and falls back on the password. Something to consider.

• Scot
    Scot
    Community Member

@brenty That did the trick. I disabled Touch ID in settings, restarted and then enabled Touch ID after the restart. All works fine.

Thanks for the help and enjoy the new year!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! Thanks for the update. I'm not sure how or why that can go wrong sometimes, but I'g glad all is well for you again. Happy New Year to you too! :chuffed:

• mata7
    mata7
    Community Member

to me dint make any different disable and re-enable face id, i trying 2 other password manager and i dont have any face id problem, and use a-lot app with face id and i dont have any problems, i dont know what to say or do anymore

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mata7: I'm sorry to hear that. If you tried disabling Face ID completely in both iOS Settings and 1Password like I suggested, and you're still having trouble, then the app is probably just damaged on your device. Make sure you have a backup of your 1Password data -- either in 1Password.com if you have a membership or by saving a local backup -- and then install a fresh copy from the App Store. Let me know how it goes.

This discussion has been closed.