change suggested password length

The "Use Suggested Password" popup on password change web pages is too long for my taste. If I ever have to type a password manually (on someone else's device, for example) it is tedious to enter a 20+ character password. How can I change this?

1Password Version: 1.13.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ubuntu 18.04
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:suggested

Comments

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @BSerlIfE! :)

While there's no way to change the formula for the suggested password, you can generate a password with the desired formula using the Password Generator. To generate a password:
    1. Open 1Password X
    2. Click the Password Generator tab
    3. Choose the length, and whether to include symbols and numbers
    4. Click Fill to fill the password field.
    5. Save the Login item using the inline menu.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have any questions. :)

• BSerlIfE
    BSerlIfE
    Community Member

Thanks. I'm aware of that option. It would be much more convenient to use the suggested password if I liked the formula. How can I submit this as a feature request?

Another problem I've seen is that some sites don't accept all of the special characters. Is there a way to disable that popup? As it is, it often gets in the way of other form elements.

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

@BSerlIfE Happy New Year! You can consider your feature request submitted. :) I can see the space for improving the suggested password pop-up, and it's a request we've gotten before. We've already discussed this a bit internally, and we're bound to revisit it in the future.

I'm afraid there isn't a way to disable the suggested password pop-up, but if you're willing to give me a few examples of sites where it gets in the way, we'd be happy to investigate and see how we can improve the experience.

• BSerlIfE
    BSerlIfE
    Community Member

Thanks!

It happens on pretty much every site. Attached are screen shots from this site. So if you're not using the suggested password you have to click twice for each form element. Once to clear the popup and then click on the box to type (or paste from the customizable password generator) a password.

At the risk of yet another rabbit trail, it would be handy if the password generator would let you choose which special characters to use. An alternative idea would be to allow manually editing the generated password, as KeePassX does. Aggravating though it is, many sites only allow a limited list of punctuation in their passwords. Hopefully that will change over time.

• RMPitcher
    RMPitcher
    Community Member

I'd second the option to have an adjustable password recipe on the password generator, or even just a few different options. Whilst using a 20-character fully complex password is ideal there are many sites that simply won't allow passwords of this length or won't support special characters so the auto-generated passwords are useless.

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

@BSerlIfE: Thanks so much for taking the time to share screenshots and give us additional details. :) I'd personally love to see improvements to the inline password generator, and it's certainly on our minds. The tricky part that we need to figure out is how to do this without adding bloat and unnecessary complexity.

@RMPitcher: Thanks for your feedback, it's much appreciated. Having experienced the same issue firsthand, I understand what you mean.

• Mehran
    Mehran
    Community Member

yes i have same problem on suggested password , its so long i not need 20+ char long as it , i like when i change setting for password generation , formula will change on sugested password also .

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Noted :smile:

• Beery
    Beery
    Community Member

+1

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your interest. :)

• valsaven
    valsaven
    Community Member

+1
    Now I have to go into the generator and copy the each password from there with my hands.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for your feedback too :)

• andythebouncer
    andythebouncer
    Community Member
    edited December 2019

Any movement on this? This is a pretty frustrating thing to deal with when the rest of the product is so thoughtfully designed. In LastPass, you simply click on a button on the password suggestion dropdown from the password box, and there's a little slider to adjust the length, and then a few checkboxes to include/exclude some character sets and a few other options. When all that's commonly necessary is excluding special characters and limiting the length of the password, this really shouldn't be hard to implement. I'm sure designing the dialog will take some work, but as a longtime software developer, I know that modifying the values you generate for this should really be stupid simple. If it's not, then the functionality probably needs to be rewritten, anyway. I'm not trying to be unreasonable here, but the fact that this simple functionality isn't available after it was requested a year ago (and lastpass has had it for years) really makes me question whether or not I want to keep using this product. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• andythebouncer
    andythebouncer
    Community Member
    edited December 2019

My last comment disappeared. As a longtime software developer I know how simple this should be to implement. Really frustrating for a product that is so nicely put together in so many other ways.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts :+1:

• kevin2590
    kevin2590
    Community Member

Why am I not seeing the password generator when I click on the chrome extension? It won't even show me the icon to customize the password for some reason. All I'm seeing is my Vault info. Please advise.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @kevin2590! Are you using 1Password X in Chrome? If so, you can follow these steps to access the password generator:

1. Click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar.
    2. Click the + button, then click Password Generator (Or use the Command-G or Ctrl + G keyboard shortcut).

Here's a screencast of me navigating to the 1Password X password generator.

• kevin2590
    kevin2590
    Community Member
    edited December 2019

Thank you. Yes, that's what I'm using on my PC and I don't see any + icon at all. All I see is my vault folders. UPDATE: Please disregard it. I just noticed the big + next to the setting icon.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@kevin2590 – I'm glad you found it! I hope the video helped.

I'll be here if you have any other questions.

• mattogodoy
    mattogodoy
    Community Member

I would also like to see this happen.
    Suggested passwords are a really neat functionality, but I'd like them to follow the same rules I apply for my other passwords too.

Any news about this?
    Thanks!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@mattogodoy – Thanks for sharing your feedback! I went ahead and passed it along. We don't have any news on the subject at the moment, but we appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us. :)

ref: dev/core/core#352
    ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#66

• scottstilson
    scottstilson
    Community Member

Just throwing my voice in, too: If we want to be as secure as possible, passwords should be as long as possible. But I’m seeing suggestions of just fourteen characters in length!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@scottstilson – What we're going for is entropy rather than length, but I see where you're coming from. I'll pass your feedback along to the rest of the team. Thank you for sharing!

ref: dev/core/core#352

• scottstilson
    scottstilson
    Community Member

@kaitlyn Ah, but length is one factor of entropy, isn’t it?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@scottstilson – Right! There are multiple factors to take into account, so we're not going for length alone. I've passed your feedback along to the rest of the team. I'm sure you've seen it in this thread, but you're always welcome to use the full-featured password generator within the 1Password X pop-up when you want a customized password. I hope that helps for now. :)

• devuxer
    devuxer
    Community Member

Took me a few minutes to actually find the Password Generator feature in Chrome. You need to click the 1Password toolbar button, then click (+), then you will see a Password Generator button. Would prefer this to be a top-level button not buried under (+), but at least I know where it is now!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback @devuxer :+1:

• devuxer
    devuxer
    Community Member

@ag_ana, happy to help :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• uncaught
    uncaught
    Community Member

I'm actually coming from a different angle. My suggested new passwords for google are only 13 characters long. I would like them to be at least 20, as is supposed to be the default for the password generator.

I don't understand why I only get 13 characters on the form, but the generator defaults to 20. Why is that?

My google accounts are one of the most sensitive ones as they are the accounts where everything starts with. Including my 1password registration. So why suggest a less than ideal password there?

This discussion has been closed.