Safari Browser extension broken

Options
simo1P
simo1P
Community Member
edited August 2018 in Mac

I have a family account. My daughter got a new MacBook and installed 1Password 7, but our family license is for 1Password 6.

She removed version 7 and installed 6, and it is working fine, except when trying to use the browser extension. The extension installs ok, we have installed, uninstalled, restarted safari etc. multiple times, but still continue to get the error.

When clicking the icon in the toolbar a message says to choose the application to open, and looks for 1Password 7 which obviously is not there.

How can we fix this please?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.2
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@simo1P - I've responded to your other post in a different thread; it sounds as if you don't have a 1password.com account, but a license. First things first: please have your daughter restart her Mac, and try again.

• MateuszJ
    MateuszJ
    Community Member
    Options

Got the same problem here, could you paste the link to the solution?

• Ben
    Options

@MateuszJ

The other thread that Lars mentioned can be found here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/453572/#Comment_453572

Ben

• MateuszJ
    MateuszJ
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response, but it doesn't seem to solve my problem. Let me specify: okay, so I have a perfectly working 1password 6 license on my Mac, iPhone and iPad and don't want to upgrade to 7 (6 gets the job done for me). The only thing that's not working is the safari extension. It keeps asking for the 1 password 7 version. Is there an option to find a 1password 6 extension for safari?

• Ben
    Options

What version of Safari do you have installed?

Ben

• MateuszJ
    MateuszJ
    Community Member
    Options

• Ben
    Options

Could you please post a screenshot of what you mean when you say

It keeps asking for the 1 password 7 version.

▷ How to take a screenshot

The extension for 1Password 6 for Safari 11 is the same extension as 1Password 7 for Safari 11.

Ben

• MateuszJ
    MateuszJ
    Community Member
    Options

Every time I try to upload the screenshot to your forum I see a message: the file failed to upload. But basically when I click the 1password icon located in safari toolbar I get this message: "There is no application selected which can open URL address onepassword7-extension://activate/51339. You can search the App Store for an app that can open this document or choose an existing app from your computer." Of course I then select the 1password 6 app located on my Mac and nothing happens. If I click the extension icon again I get the same message.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MateuszJ - did you perhaps download/install 1Password 7 for Mac as a trial at one point, then decide you didn't want it and remove it?

• MateuszJ
    MateuszJ
    Community Member
    Options

I got a new computer and didn't know about the new version. So I went to your page and installed 7, realized it was a subscription only version, uninstalled it and then got the 1password 6

• MateuszJ
    MateuszJ
    Community Member
    Options

Tell me there is a way to get the extension working with the 6 :( This add on was the reason I loved 1password so much for years. I'm just not a fan of the subscription only model, plus I paid a lot for the 1p 6 at the time. So if there is a way I would rather avoid switching to the 7.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MateuszJ - you can certainly stay with version 6 if you like, though we can't actually recommend that, as version 6 is now in legacy mode and will not be receiving further development attention.

It sounds as if you may still have components of 1Password 7 for Mac installed on your Mac, which may be why the extension keeps looking for that version. Please open Activity Monitor and make sure you quit ALL 1Password processes (as well as all browsers). Then remove the 1Password extension from Safari and (if you haven't already) drag the 1Password 7 app to your Mac's trash.

Open ~/Library/Containers and search for folders called

• 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword7-helper
    • com.agilebits.onepassword-osx.safariextensioncompanion
    • com.agilebits.onepassword7
    • com.agilebits.onepassword7-launcher
    • com.agilebits.onepassword7.1PasswordSafariAppExtension
    • com.agilebits.onepasswordnativemessaginghost

-- and delete them. (NOTE: not all of these may be present; if not, that's OK - just delete what you find).

Then open ~/Library/Group Containers and search for the folder 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits and delete it.

Restart your Mac, then try installing the 1Password extension directly from either the Safari Extensions Gallery or this link. Let me know how that goes for you. :)

• MateuszJ
    MateuszJ
    Community Member
    Options

I found only the last folder (2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits) deleted it, restarted computer etc. Works again like a charm - thanks for the quick help. I've got 2 more questions while we're at it. 1. Is there a way to use Touch ID to open the extension? 2. If I decided to give 1p7 a try is there a lifetime license option instead of monthly subscription?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018
    Options

@MateuszJ - great! I'm glad that worked for you. :) To answer your other questions:

1. No. Sorry. Unless you mean to unlock 1Password, in which case yes you can. If 1Password is locked, you can use Touch ID to unlock it...but not just to open the extension when you need it. However, a click on the icon in your browser's toolbar or the Mac's menubar will do the trick, as will the keyboard shortcut ⌘ \.
    2. It depends a bit on what you mean by "lifetime license." There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

With a 1Password account:

• You sign up for an account at the main 1Password  sign-up page.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

As a standalone product:

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately.
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 8) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You create local 1Password vaults, and if you like, choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain only on your device.

Any license purchased at any time will work "forever", but only to license the version of the product you paid for. As long as you continue to have compatible hardware and versions of macOS that can run the version of 1Password for which you bought your license, it will continue to work and can be used on as many such Macs as you own/use. For example, anyone who purchased a license for 1Password 3 for Mac back in 2010 or so, who's still running Mac OS X 10.6.8 ("Snow Leopard") today could download 1Password 3 for Mac and install it -- and their license would still work for that. But that 2010 license for 1Password 3 for Mac will NOT work for any newer upgrades. If you purchase a license today for 1Password 7 for Mac, it will work for 1Password 7 for Mac forever. But when 1Password 8 for Mac is eventually released, you will need a separate license for that. There is no option to make a single purchase that gets you free upgrades forever.

• jlagrone
    jlagrone
    Community Member
    Options

The problem described here sounds like my problem, but the solution of removing the ~/Library/Containers and Group Containers files and restarting/reinstalling extension doesn't seem to work. When I use shortcut or click extension button in Safari, there is a lag of 3 to 4 seconds before a new tab opens to https://1password.com.

I too installed 1Password 7 only to realize my license if for 1Password 4. I've trashed 7 and installed 1Password 6, which is on my old MacBook. All seems to be working but the extension.

Any suggestions?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jlagrone - I'm sorry for the trouble. This is actually NOT the problem you're having, and I'm now worried that you've removed all of your 1Password data. Can you see all your data in 1Password for Mac?

I very much hope you can, but if not, let me know. If you CAN see/use your data in 1Password for Mac, then here's the reason why the Safari extension is no longer working: in 1Password 6 for Mac, when the 1Password extension is placed into a browser it the app hasn't seen before, there will be an [authorization process] that you have to okay - this involves two calls to pages on our website. The first one helps in the actual authorization process itself (which you would confirm by clicking the button as shown in that example), the second one leads to a page on our site with a video that tells you 1Password is ready to work in Safari. Currently, we have a server-side problem with those two pages. The result for users is twofold: one, because the page cannot be reached, it redirects to our home page (that's why you're seeing that) and two: the extension will not be authorized, resulting in you being unable to use it.

This can be worked around by opening a new Private Browsing tab and trying again -- using Private Browsing should work for you to authorize the 1Password extension in Safari. If it doesn't, then try the following:

1. Remove the 1Password extension from Safari.
    2. Restart Safari.
    3. Open a private window via the menu option "File > New Private Window".
    4. Visit https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C in the private window and install the extension.

You should now find you see the familiar auth prompt and 1Password can now pair the extension. After that everything should work as normal. Let me know how that works for you.

• jlagrone
    jlagrone
    Community Member
    Options

Brilliant! That worked. Thank you. Don't worry, data was preserved with Dropbox and backups.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jlagrone - excellent! Glad to hear that worked for you. Remember, we still don't have this solved on the server side yet. So you might want to hold off on clearing browser cache for the moment. It won't really harm anything if you don't...you'll just have to repeat the above process again, since cache clearing removes the 1Password extension authorization.

• Michael42
    Michael42
    Community Member
    Options

I am soooo frustrated trying to remove everything to do with 1Password7, it is like a cancer in my Macbook Pro.
    I have follower all the suggestions above numerous times but to no avail.
    I have a 1Password5 account last updated 2018. I cannot get the Safari extension for 1 PW Version 6, it always gives me V 7 which I Don't want.
    I drag the 1PW7 from my Applications folder to trash and look in trash and it is not there, trash is empty but it has remained in the Applications folder.
    Activity monitor does not show 1PW7 App there after I have Quit it several times after it keeps reappearing BUT the 1Password Agent cannot be quit, it keeps reappearing even after shut downs etc
    PLEASE help me rid 1PW7 from my computer so I can use 1PW6 and install the Safari Extension, please, please

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Michael42 - this looks to be a cut-and-paste of the same post you made in another thread. I've already answered you there, so please can I ask you to refrain from posting the same thing in multiple places? It causes confusion and increases support times for everyone, including you.

• Michael42
    Michael42
    Community Member
    Options

Apologies Lars. I am not used to this forum software. I thought this was the topic where I posted and could not see it so I copied from my draft and posted here. :-(

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Michael42 - it actually may be; I moved your original reply because it wasn't really relevant to this months-old thread at this point, and started a new thread that could focus on your specific, separate request. Sorry for the confusion!

This discussion has been closed.