Family Private vault entries not propagating across devices and website

tjfoth
tjfoth
Community Member

iPad Pro 7.25/iOS 12.1.1
Macbook Pro 7.2.4/Mac OS X 10.13.6
Pixel 3 XL 7.0.9 / Android 9 PQ1A.181205.006
my.1password.com

1. On Macbook Pro, copied 74 entries from iCloud vault to Family Private vault. They have NOT appeared on the Google Pixel 3 XL, iPad, or my.1password.com.

2. On iPad Pro, manually created Login entry Test 1Password Login. Has NOT appeared on Mac OS X client. Has appeared on Google Pixel 3 XL, and my.1password.com.

There doesn't seem to be a way to force syncing.

I purchased a Family account because 1Password has removed syncing with Dropbox because they reported this was unreliable.

Right now, I'm struggling to see how this is any more reliable.

This is supposed to be really easy. I'm pretty technical. What am I missing.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Family

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tjfoth - I'm sorry for the trouble! To be clear, I don't think we've ever said Dropbox was unreliable, mostly because it isn't. However, in standalone 1Password, we're forced to work within the constraints given us by whatever the limitations of the 3rd party API happen to be. We don't control a large part of the sync process, and we also have less control over how users choose to set these services that are outside of our control up.

What you're describing sounds very much to me as if you may have inadvertently created two accounts at some point along the line, typically one individual account and one 1Password Families account. Could that be possible? In each device on which you have 1Password installed, visit either Preferences > Accounts or Settings > 1Password accounts and check closely whether the account is the same - a good way to do that is by looking at the Secret Keys: are they identical? If not, you've got multiple accounts. Let me know what you discover.

• tjfoth
    tjfoth
    Community Member

That is the problem. I was on the family account, but the Macbook Pro was still signed on to the admin account.

Thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tjfoth - I'm glad we were able to figure it out, but I want to probe one thing a little further, here. When you say "admin account," what do you mean? If you have a 1Password Families account, up to five people can use it at a time; you don't need to have an additional paid account -- each person gets a Private vault as well as access to the family-wide Shared vault. Just don't want you paying for something you don't need.

• tjfoth
    tjfoth
    Community Member

By "admin" account, I mean the first account that was created and established first when I created the family account. I have also established accounts for both my wife and myself. They ALL have admin rights, but I like having one set aside for recovery reasons if nothing else. My wife and I have a joint email address (actually, a Google Apps address list), for this purpose across a number of applications. We each have our own individual email addresses as well.

If I had five people who needed access, I might have a different strategy to free up this account.

Tom

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tjfoth - ah, OK, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.