Text replacement shortcuts issues in iOS

levithefa
levithefa
Community Member

I have a few different text replacement shortcuts I've had set up for years within iOS... basically anytime I type these characters in a row (i.e. abc1, abc2, abc3), anywhere in iOS, it will prompt a pre-set auto fill. My use case for these is 4 different email addresses. If I type abc1, a promopt to autofill my yahoo email pops up, abc2 prompts my gmail, etc etc...

Since 1Password password prefill (which I LOVE) and iOS 12, I see the prompt for a split second, but it disappears behind 1Password's password prompts... does this make sense? I WISH I could post a screen shot here, but can't figure out how....

Obviously 1Password auto complete > keyboard text replacement, but it seems like this is a bug somewhere... like it appears and then goes away... anyone else?

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.1.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:ios text replacement

Comments

• Hi @levithefa

I too make use of the iOS text replacement and I haven't noticed any difficulties. I'm not entirely clear on where you are seeing this problem. Does it happen in the Notes app, for example? Or is it only in the 1Password app that you're seeing this?

Obviously 1Password auto complete > keyboard text replacement,

I'm not seeing that setting anywhere.

Please let me know.

Ben

• levithefa
    levithefa
    Community Member

It happens/where I see it mostly is i'm logging into somewhere/completing something in Safari (just figured out how to upload an image):

Regarding your quote.. wasn't referring to a setting, was just saying obviously 1Password is greater than keyboard text replacement

• Regarding your quote.. wasn't referring to a setting, was just saying obviously 1Password is greater than keyboard text replacement

Ha! Sorry for my confusion on that. I've become so accustom to referencing settings such as

1Password > Settings > Security > Touch ID

That I didn't even think of the greater than sign being used in it's original context. Got it now! :smile:

It happens/where I see it mostly is i'm logging into somewhere/completing something in Safari (just figured out how to upload an image):

Gotcha. 1Password isn't active at that point. It is possible the the iOS 12 Password AutoFill feature is somehow interfering, but that'd be something Apple would need to address if that is indeed the case. We just provide data to Password AutoFill -- we don't control how or where it functions.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Ben

• pmor
    pmor
    Community Member

I too have this issue. The text replacement, in my case my email address, does appear for a split second as stated and then disappears. I turned off 1Password and it words again. I turn on LastPass and it still works. It only doesn’t work with 1Password.

• @pmor

If you turn off 1Password in the Settings app under Passwords & Accounts > AutoFill Passwords this works and if you turn it back on it stops working?

Ben

• pmor
    pmor
    Community Member

@Ben
    Yes that is correct.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

@pmor: Indeed. That makes sense then. When you have iOS Password Autofill enabled, Autofill takes control over any login forms. I hadn't thought of it in terms of it taking precedence over text replacement, but that's absolutely the case. I'm not sure it's a bug, but you could certainly bring it up with Apple. Based on their philosophy as far as trying to get people to use better passwords though, which is why the Autofill feature exists in iOS in the first place, I would be surprised if this is something they'd be willing to change. In addition to what we do with 1Password, they offer their own iCloud Keychain for Password Autofill expressly for the purpose of saving and filling account credentials. I'd suggested just saving your username and password and filling it using Autofill instead of trying to do that with text replacement. :)

• pmor
    pmor
    Community Member

@brenty
    But why does it still work with LastPass?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pmor: I have no idea what you're talking about. iOS Password Autofill is, like it says in the name, an iOS feature Apple built -- not us or any other company. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

After further testing, I can confirm:

1. Type text replacement string in username field -- e.g. https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin
    2. Text replacement completes
    3. Enable Autofill (iOS Settings > Passwords & Accounts > Autofill Passwords)
    4. Reload webpage
    5. Type text replacement string in username field again
    6. Text replacement does not complete

This happens even with only iCloud Keychain enabled in iOS Settings > Passwords & Accounts > Autofill Passwords. This is all Autofill. It's not at all related to 1Password.

• pmor
    pmor
    Community Member

@brenty
    I doesn't matter, I realised it works if I have iCloud Keychain on too. Which I don't want to use. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm not sure I understand. If you're seeing different behaviour with iOS Password Autofill now, that definitely sounds like a bug. I'd encourage you to reach out to Apple with the details, especially if it's something you're able to reproduce consistently. No matter what, I always get the same result here: if Autofill is enabled, it supersedes text replacement in login forms.

• masterbraid
    masterbraid
    Community Member

Has anyone figured out if it is possible to have “text replacement” and “auto fill passwords” on at the same time yet

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Both iOS features work and can be enabled at the same time. They simply cannot be used in the same field simultaneously.

This discussion has been closed.