To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How to find secret key when all my devices I'm using do not show it?

graysmith
graysmith
Community Member

I've been using 1Password for over 3 years on both my Macbook and my IPhone and I recently purchased a new macbook that I'm trying to get my account set up on. After downloading the app I tried to locate my key using the instructions provided but noticed that both my current macbook and iphone do not have an account attached to them (although they do have a purchased membership license and order number).

I've been using 1Password continuously and up until this point haven't realized that no account is attached... How can I find my account information and attach the account to ensure I can set up the 1Password app on my new macbook?

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @graysmith! If you've been using 1Password for a while, then you may not be aware of some of the more-recent developments around here. We've been busy, to put it briefly! There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

With a 1Password account:

• You sign up for an account at the main 1Password  sign-up page.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

As a standalone product:

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately (this is what you would've had/done if you started using 1Password before 2016).
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You create local 1Password vaults, and if you like, choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain only on your device.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made.

So, the long and short of it is that you may not have a 1password.com account. You can set one up if you'd like to transition from a standalone setup to 1password.com. If that's the case, just follow the instructions in that link to get your 1password.com account set up. Let us know if you have any questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.