Slow Search in Mac App

samuelnair
samuelnair
Community Member

Periodically when i launch the 1Password App, after the app launches and i have unlocked via Touch ID. If i go to search for a one of my items, it routinely hangs (spinning rainbow ) for about 5-8 seconds. I have seen this happen enough times that i feel like the App is wedged trying to sync data from 1password.com or other IO activity.

I could spin up dtrace to see what the process is doing. But i figured i would ask first before trying to poke around.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.2.2 (70202006) AgileBits Sto
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @samuelnair! I'm sorry for the trouble. We're actually aware of some slowness depending on the state of 1Password when searching for or attempting to launch items directly after unlock via Touch ID, but I don't have anything to share just now regarding a solution. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, however! :)

ref: apple-2621

• Qriz
    Qriz
    Community Member

I also have this problem and it slows me down a lot in autofill or on iOS and macOS. I had no speed problems since years, only recently when we tried the online plan. Can we expect some quick improvements? My plan will renew mid December and I am not willing to continue with this problem (also considering autofill got worse with removing auto sumbit and there are not many improvements in the last years).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Qriz - iOS and macOS are two entirely different OSes, and 1Password apps. I'm not aware of any slow-downs on the iOS side currently, which means you may wish to try un/re-installing 1Password for iOS on your device(s) that seem affected to you. On macOS, we're definitely looking to address a couple of issues, but I can't offer you any sort of timeline or due date. I will say, however, that it doesn't appear to be a function of whether you're using a 1password.com account or a standalone license. Hope that's helpful in making your decision.

• There are a number of folks havings serious slowdown issues on iOS, myself included.

It is making the app close to unusable when it happens. Not something we want from the app that provides access to basically everything online in our lives.

Please address and fix quickly!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pcerrato1pwdsupport - I'm sorry for the trouble. This is our Mac forum, which means if you're having trouble with 1Password for iOS, the best thing to do would be to post in our iOS forum or email us directly at support@1password.com. I see you've already done both, and been in communication with colleagues here. so I'm not sure what this adds to the discussion.

• samuelnair
    samuelnair
    Community Member

@Lars is there any diagnostics or logs that i can ship you that might help you debug this problem. ? I have the often enough that i could run a dtrace profile on it.

• Hi @samuelnair

Just to clarify: this is happening on macOS, not iOS, correct? Are you using a 1Password membership? If so do you have a "Primary" vault in 1Password for Mac?

Please let us know.

Ben

• wdiadamo
    wdiadamo
    Community Member

FYI. I am here because I'm having a similar problem. When I open 1Password on my Mac or on iOS, I get a delay when I start to search. the old SBBD for about 5 records or so.

• samuelnair
    samuelnair
    Community Member

@Ben yes this is on macOS. Yes i am using a 1Password membership. No i do not have a "Primary" vault in my 1Password for Mac

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@samuelnair: Thanks for confirming. We've recently made some changes in the prerelease version of 1Password for iOS to help with a similar issue there. It's possible that will also help with 1Password or Mac (though, only seeing a few reports of it on macOS and experiencing it on iOS myself, I wonder). We'll continue to investigate and make changes as needed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wdiadamo: We've already got a fix for the issue in 1Password for iOS beta, and we'll see if more work is necessary for 1Password for Mac too. Thanks for letting us know!

• samuelnair
    samuelnair
    Community Member

@brenty any debug logs or profiling data that i can send you that could help you better debug the problem

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@samuelnair - nothing right now, but we'll let you know if we do need them -- and thanks for being willing to help! :)

• ron101845
    ron101845
    Community Member

I'm getting a 10-second hang (beachball) on my desktop when trying to search. I'm on a legacy version, though (6.8.9) because I'm a longtime user.

Mac OS 10.11.6.

Any ideas?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ron101845: Since it doesn't look like you've contacted us about this before, I'm guessing that's a new thing. Is that correct? If so, since we haven't made changes to 1Password 6 recently, it sounds like something else may have changes on your system. Have you installed/updated any other software or changed settings that are maybe impacting 1Password as well?

• ron101845
    ron101845
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

@brenty Nothing installed lately that I suspect would interfere with 1Password. I'll try uninstalling/reinstalling 1Password.

Could bloat be a potential problem? In other words, is it possible I might have too much in the database?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ron101845 - too much in the database? I...doubt it, but I suppose it's possible. Do you have a ton of attachments or non-text files? How many total items in your 1Password vault(s)?

• ron101845
    ron101845
    Community Member

@Lars Thanks, Lars.
    I've got a total of 548 items, which includes and maybe 5% of those carry attachments.
    Vault is only 14.2 MB's, though.
    OK, I'll try a reinstall. This is a fairly new re-install of El Capitan (limited to this version right now because of my Video software and GFX card).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ron101845 - yeah, that's not nearly enough to do that kind of damage to your speed -- at least, it shouldn't be. I'd think perhaps a re-install might be in order. Let us know what happens! :)

This discussion has been closed.