TouchID with the new 1Password 7 lags (about 5 seconds). It used to be almost instant with 1Pass 6.

franpi
franpi
Community Member
edited December 2018 in Mac

Unlocking 1Pass used to be really quick with version 6, but it's now really slow with the new version. The new version pops up 1Pass mini when prompted, but while before I could already have my finger resting on touchID and it would open right away, it now also pops up a secondary dialog informing me that 1Pass is trying to use TouchId to unlock. I then have to remove my finger and put it back on TouchID, which dismisses the small alert and then eventually unlocks 1Pass mini.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing again; de-activating TouchID on 1Pass and then re-activating and no dice.

Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 7.2.4
OS Version: 10.14.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:slow unlock

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@franpi: Thanks for reaching out. I'm a bit confused as to why you'd be bringing this up now, but with 1Password 7 we've moved to using Apple's Secure Enclave for additional Touch ID security, similar to iOS. We don't have control over the "dialog" or the responsiveness of Touch ID itself since that's all handled by the OS, but any additional information you can provide might help us and Apple improve things in the future. Did you maybe only switch from version 6 recently?

• franpi
    franpi
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm commenting on behavior that I've experienced since I upgraded on Dec 7. Prior to that, I had been on 1pass 6 (for at least 2 years with TouchID) and the TouchId authentication was very snappy (1 - 2 secs). I had been hoping that some update would help especially with Mojave being relatively new, but nothing has changed as far as that is concerned.

Are you saying that 1Pass fundamentally changed the way it's interacting with TouchID and that's why the behavior is a bit different now (including the dialog)? If that's the case, it made a pretty big difference in the usability of the app. I can't imagine it's like this for everyone. It's like 4 - 6 secs at least until you can unlock the app, which is pretty excessive.

Is there anything else I can provide you that might help diagnose the issue? Unless the 4-6 delay is expected behavior, that is, which I find hard to imagine. I'm using a Macbook Pro 2016 (TouchId).

Thanks again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@franpi: I really appreciate you getting back to me. Indeed, prior to 1Password 7, 1Password for Mac was using the Keychain to store a secret associated with Touch ID. Starting with 1Password 7, it's now using the Secure Enclave for that, since it offers additional hardware-level security. This is essentially how Touch ID (and Face ID) has always worked on iOS, since all of this was integrated from the start. But it's a more recent development on the Mac, since its OS was not developed with this kind of thing in mind originally. 4-6 seconds does not sound normal though. Would you be able to share a video? And, to be clear, if you disable Touch ID for 1Password, does it perform the way you'd expect?

• franpi
    franpi
    Community Member

I see. Thanks for the explanation. Ok, here's a video so you can see what I'm talking about. If you look at the clock in the top right counting in seconds, I activate the 1pass mini window shortcut at exactly the 30 sec mark so you can see the delay thereafter. Took about 5 seconds on that occasion from the time I pressed the shortcut and 1pass mini was fully unlocked. I also show you the locking at the 40 sec mark, which may or may not be related. That has a delay of about 4 sec. Not sure if the two are related.

Link to video:
    https://mega.nz/#!QJdgHSKI!Eyl6F4tT1amtyHcuZ491S6RpzQWaWZz8rePpCjEAjtY

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thank you for the additional details, and especially for the video! I can't really get a sense for it if there's a delay after you do something with the mouse or keyboard, but as far as Touch ID loading and 1Password unlocking, that's about what I'd expect. We'll see if there are optimizations we can make on our end, but we cannot get Touch ID authentication any faster than what it gives us; we just make a call to an API and wait for the response.

• franpi
    franpi
    Community Member

Thanks for trying to understand the issue, Brenty. Hopefully, you guys can come up with some optimizations on your end. I get sense there are a few seconds each that are being taken by the OS and then 1Pass on the whole action. Hopefully there may be some optimization improvements on your end of things.

Thanks again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Absolutely. There can certainly be a delay with Touch ID, but it should not be like that. We're still looking into it, and we'll see what can be done.

This discussion has been closed.