How to purchase a 1Password 7 license

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@e4xit - if you're in a country that charges VAT, that may be what you're seeing. Our prices (for distribution purposes, such as on our blog, etc) are in US Dollars. Unless something's changed over the weekend (and I don't see any notices internally that they have), we are still on our launch special pricing of $49.99USD for a standalone license. But that won't be the exact price paid everywhere, due to currency/exchange issues, as well as VAT.

• e4xit
    e4xit
    Community Member

@Lars it actually worked the second time I tried to buy. I think what I had to do is not click buy (license) right upon first opening the app as this still showed $60!!!! pricing. When I canceled out, entered the app, did a search, closed the app and then re-opened clicking buy license then showed the correct pricing

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@e4xit - glad to hear it! :) :+1:

• mvasilakis
    mvasilakis
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

If I buy the 1Password 7 stand alone on Mac how do I buy the standalone for iOS?
    It looks like the iOS app was upgraded to 7.2.1 via the app store and still seems to be working with my 1Password 6 database. ( I Purchased the Pro Features a while back.)

Also I would like to continue using dropbox to share my database. Is all this still possible with 1Password 7?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2018

If I buy the 1Password 7 stand alone on Mac how do I buy the standalone for iOS? It looks like the iOS app was upgraded to 7.2.1 via the app store and still seems to be working with my 1Password 6 database. ( I Purchased the Pro Features a while back.)

@mvasilakis: If you already purchased it, you're all set. :)

Also I would like to continue using dropbox to share my database. Is all this still possible with 1Password 7?

Yes. :)

• idleft
    idleft
    Community Member

I'm sorry that I'm so confused. Could you please give me a link that I can purchase the 1password license without membership? I don't know why you guys change that to membership (probably due to revenue pressure), but it's really a bad idea. I would have to switch to another application if I became so frustrated when finding the purchase page.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@idleft: No need to apologize. I am sorry for the confusion. You can purchase right within the app. You'll need to install it. The instructions Jad linked at the beginning of this discussion will help. You can also find more information on version 7 in the blog posts Lars linked. And if you have any questions along the way, just let us know. :)

• Dusky
    Dusky
    Community Member

I've also bought 1Password 6 and am now left confused about why I purchased it when I can no longer use the cmd+\ to auto-fill my passwords in the browser, nor access/update my passwords in 1Password 7 with this annoying "Frozen" tag on every account listed. So, what good is the previously bought license? More importantly, since users often (are required to) update their OS and expect their previously purchased software to operate and/or be supported to work properly, is 1Password 6 updated to run seamlessly with OS X Mojave? Or, will it be buggy and basically force us to upgrade to 7 and pay again?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dusky: Can you clarify? It sounds like you purchase 1Password for Mac version 6. If that's the case, and you did not purchase version 7, or subscribe to a 1Password membership), then it makes sense that you wouldn't be able to use all of its features. 1Password 6 mostly works on Mojave, but will not work with Safari going forward due to changes there. No one will "force" you to upgrade your OS and other software, but it is a good thing to do since outdated versions will no longer be updated. And, since we're not going to work for free, there is a cost associated with using our products. Otherwise there would be no one here to continue updating it, or respond to your questions. If you need help, let me know what you're trying to do and where you're getting stuck. I'm sure we can get you sorted. :)

• Dusky
    Dusky
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

@Brenty: I appreciate your reply, however—perhaps you don't intend to, you come across as snide and trying to recover at the end of your response. First, yes—as stated above, I purchased 1Password version 6 for Mac, and I even purchased the cloud service for a year as well, but did not renew it. When I purchased 1Password 6, it came with a very important, very useful and highly marketed feature of using the keyboard command of cmd+\ to instantly fill your passwords in most browsers (with the extension), and it was a core feature I would expect to continue to work and be supported regardless of future releases or changes to OS as it part of the software I bought. Now, I admit I hadn't realized that I had upgraded to the free version 7 of 1Password as I have a new machine and have needed to reinstall software. This is because the Apple App Store doesn't even show version 6 as an option, and your website doesn't make it easy/obvious to find. And, even upon finding it, makes it questionable if it's still going to work with my new OS (Mojave). What's more confusing is that my iPhone automatically updates to the latest version of 1Password and I would naturally think that they are the same versions, but they are not.

So, when I tried to use 1Password on my laptop to auto fill passwords, and noticed my account was "frozen" and it was really frustrating because I wasn't aware of the new pricing model and that the "Free" version 7 app that requires you to purchase a subscription in order to use a feature I've already paid for and have been using in version 6. Do you understand? Maybe that's just me, but it's disappointing to be sold a product based on a function that disappears unless you buy it again.

Next, for you to say that no one will "force" me to upgrade my OS and other software; you're selectively interpreting the need for most users to have to update their OS as needed for a variety of reasons and it's standard practice. This doesn't justify losing a core function of software you've already paid for though. Lastly, for you to passive aggressively charge at me with, "since we're not going to work for free..." is disappointing. No one asked nor expects you to work for free. That's a weak, cop out approach to countering my specific issue regarding losing a core function of my software that was used to sell me in the first place just because you've released a new version. It's also insulting. Yes, I understand that when the browsers and OS are updated, it causes need for redevelopment/support of the extensions associated with the software; however, isn't supporting the browser extension for those who have already paid part of the product projection/roadmap? If/when I download 1Password 6 again, as a customer who's already paid for this software, is it really a stretch for me to expect my software to continue to work as sold to me?

Truthfully, before reading your reply I was considering purchasing 1Password 7 but have now exported my data and will be glad to look elsewhere to support businesses with my money that might train their support agents to better understand and handle a paying customer's concerns.

• Thanks for the feedback @Dusky. It sounds like this all stemmed from a misunderstanding about how our licensing works. The intention is for 1Password 6 licenses to not include functionality for 1Password 7 at all. To use 1Password 7 you'd either need a new license or an active subscription. It doesn't work if you haven't bought it. Buying v6 is not the same as buying v7. I'm sorry we didn't make that clear.

I wish you the best of luck with your endevor, and if you ever change your mind we'll be here to help.

Ben

• SkunkDog
    SkunkDog
    Community Member

I've got 1Password 7 for Mac installed and I'm currently in the 30 day trial period.

How do I signup for the standalone license "after the fact"?

I only saw the option when I 1st signed up.

(1Password user since version 3)

• SkunkDog
    SkunkDog
    Community Member

Nevermind.... Got it.
    I had to move my vault to dropbox and delete the 1password account.
    Then I could see the option to buy the standalone license.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@SkunkDog - there is no 30-day trial of the 1Password 7 for Mac application. If you are on a trial, it is a trial of a newly-opened 1password.com account/membership (which does have a 30-day trial).

At the end of 30 days, what happens depends on what you've already done: if you entered your credit card information into the Billing section at some time during the month, or when you first signed up, you will be billed not for a standalone license, but for a 1-year membership to 1password.com. If you have NOT entered your credit card information into billing, you will receive a notice that your account is about to enter Frozen status. This is usually about four days before the expiration of the trial of your 1password.com account. If you do nothing, your account freezes and you cannot add, edit or delete any data in it (though you will still be able to export or copy the data out).

I had to move my vault to dropbox and delete the 1password account.

Right. Glad everything turned out right for you.

• SkunkDog
    SkunkDog
    Community Member

You were correct. 30-day trial for the 1PW account/membership.
    Weird thing is, even though my vault is on Dropbox, now that the
    trial period is ending... I'm locked out of my account. :'(

• @SkunkDog

Is all of your data in the Primary vault? If so you can delete the 1Password membership trial:

How to delete your 1Password account

Ben

• SkunkDog
    SkunkDog
    Community Member

Hi Ben:
    Thanks for that.
    I deleted the account...
    But am still unable to edit/add to my 1Password files.
    :(

• SkunkDog
    SkunkDog
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Humm,
    I am able to edit/add from my iOS devices.
    Could it be the difference between downloading 1Password
    from the App Store vs Agile's website??
    (Pretty sure I downloaded from the website, otherwise I didn't have the stand-alone License option)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@SkunkDog - now I'm confused. Yes, there is a difference between the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 for Mac and our own version. Like all other apps in the Mac App Store, there IS no license needed (or possible), because downloads made in the Mac App Store are tied to your Apple ID, not any license key/file. We also made the decision with 1Password 7 for Mac to not have a standalone option in the Mac App Store version, for various reasons.

That means if you want to use 1Password 7 as a standalone app, you'll need our version, not the Mac App Store version. What I don't understand is your screenshot, above: that image is showing a licensed copy of 1Password 7 for Mac -- how did you get that, if you're using the Mac App Store version, which has no provision to accept a license from us?

• SkunkDog
    SkunkDog
    Community Member

Hi Lars:
    Thanks for the reply.
    Pretty sure that I originally downloaded from the App store,
    then deleted it and re-downloaded from the website, in order to
    purchase the standalone License.
    I have version 7.2.6 and the app store lists V. 7.2.5
    Would that confirm where I got it?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@SkunkDog - no, but if you click 1Password (menu item) > About, you'll get a pop-up window that will explicitly state whether it is from the Mac App Store or directly from us. If you have our own version, and clicking 1Password > License shows the same "licensed" window that you sent previously, then something's wrong, as being fully licensed should definitely remove all restrictions from local vaults and let you edit/add/delete items. If you still can't, and you're sure a) you have our version and b) it is licensed, try restarting your Mac and seeing if that makes any difference. Let me know how you get on. If it still doesn't work, we may have to take a closer look at things.

• SkunkDog
    SkunkDog
    Community Member

a) Yes
    b) Yes
    Tried a restart with no change.!

What about deleting and re-downloading?
    Appreciating your help,
    Marc

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

@SkunkDog - let's hold off a moment on deleting/re-installing. Looking at the main window of 1Password 7 for Mac, select any item from the list, any category, doesn't matter. Look at the item details in the right panel. Do you see a "Read Only" badge there, in the upper-right corner, like this?

• SkunkDog
    SkunkDog
    Community Member

Well.... after doing a second restart... all is back to as expected.
    I can add/edit my files.
    :)
    Thank you(s) to Lars (and Ben) for your assistance.
    Very much appreciated.
    I assume at some point I'll be back to the subscription.
    One benefit for me, is the ability for trusted family members to access
    my vault via a browser.
    Cheers,
    Marc

• Thanks for the update Marc. Glad to hear it worked out. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• stephanwb
    stephanwb
    Community Member

I purchased a multi-user standalone license back in 2013. Where can I find the multi-user standalone upgrade option for 1Password7? And what is the price?

• Hi @stephanwb

Thanks for your interest in upgrading. We do not offer multi-user licenses for 1Password 7. Licenses are per-person, per-platform, and generally do not include upgrades. They are regularly priced at $65 USD + tax, but as of writing are on sale for $50 USD + tax for a limited time. They can be purchased within the 1Password 7 app when downloaded from our website:

Download 1Password

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• JaySSSS
    JaySSSS
    Community Member

When you say "per-platform" does that mean the outright purchase version won't let me sync between my Mac and my iPhone? What advantages does 1Password provide over LastPass? Their family licenses are only $4/month, versus your $4.99/month.

I personally hate subscription pricing. I haven't upgraded Photoshop for years since they went to subscription pricing.

This discussion has been closed.