please allow autofill of bank account info

Why wouldn't you allow users to autofill bank account/routing numbers? Many times, usears don't want to pay with a CC but just their bank account.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:please allow autofill of bank account info

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bbeyer,

A lot of 1Password's current behaviour is still based on decisions made in 1Password 3 or possibly even earlier. Bank Account items weren't designed for filling and were more just about allowing the user to create a record for reference when needed. I can't talk for Canada and the US, still our primary location for users but here in the UK the only time I'd be supplying bank account details would be for setting up a direct debit which is a one-time action. It is only based on my own experiences but it's pretty much unheard of to use actual bank details for a one-time transaction.

Things do change of course and certain decisions in the past may not be the decisions we'd make again today in the same situation. We've toyed with ways to make all types fillable but for the moment that is very much still in the concept stage and hasn't made it to code in any shape or form. For now filling is limited to Login, Identity, Credit Card and Password items.

• bbeyer
    bbeyer
    Community Member

It is not unheard of or I wouldn't be requesting it. I have to fill out bank account info enough that it would be useful to autofill.

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

@bbeyer: We certainly believe you, but I haven't heard about it until now either. Having said that, we're both located in Europe, which probably has different regulations. Either way, as @littlebobbytables already mentioned, we're toying with allowing such details to be filled, but there's still time before that becomes a reality. I'm sorry that I don't have a more satisfactory answer for you, but your request has been heard and acknowledged. :)

• qrs136
    qrs136
    Community Member

I'd like this too. I live in the US, and prefer to set up recurring payments as well as merchant-based payments with my bank account as opposed to my credit card. Credit cards expire, numbers can change if the card is stolen or lost, and it's a hassle updating them all.

Bank account numbers don't change, so - it would be nice whenever a merchant is asking for preferred payment method that I was able to autofill bank account info (routing and account numbers).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

To be honest, when I do need to fill bank routing and account numbers (most often to setup payment for credit cards), the forms don't even allow pasting or filling, and often require manually re-typing each multiple times to confirm. I wish that weren't the case, but given that the vast majority of people want 1Password to fill login credentials, and that's a never-ending task, we really need to focus on that. But perhaps we'll be able to expand 1Password's filling capabilities in the future. I just don't want to get your hopes up, as financial site often go out of their way to prevent exactly what you're trying to do.

• bbeyer
    bbeyer
    Community Member

But yet, you allow us to fill out credit card fields (financial), and identity fields.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yep. Those get used daily by many users. Bank routing numbers, not so much: I get fraud protection only with a credit card, so I'm rarely going to give out my actual bank account info. And focusing on the most common use cases for filling allows us to do more with those (but especially logins) than we could if we just tried to fill everything.

That said, it would be cool to be able to tell 1Password what to fill where, and therefore fill more arbitrary information. But that's a "someday maybe" thing. We need to focus our efforts primarily where they do the most good for the greatest number of people, and for now that's still login filling, with credit cards and identities being secondary.

• Recent_Convert
    Recent_Convert
    Community Member

True I don't have to fill in my bank details daily, only monthly. You know, the way bills come. I didn't realize this wasn't considered a core functionality of a password manager until switching to the only one where it isn't possible.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2020

Just jumping in here to note that while autofilling is not possible for bank account items, you can do the following to fill the details quickly:

• On a Mac; Click the 1Password extension icon in your browser, find the bank account item using the search bar, then drag the fields you need (account number, etc) with your mouse and drop them onto the fields in the website.
    • On Windows; Click the field you need to fill in your browser, open the 1Password desktop app, find the bank account item, then right click the account number (or any other field you need) and select your browser from the list.

While this is not a fully automated filling experience, these methods will allow you to fill in your bank item details quickly and conveniently.

• rroonnbb
    rroonnbb
    Community Member

For what it's worth, I'm contemplating a move from Dashlane to 1Password and as part of this I'm trying to compare autofill capabilities. Dashlane DOES allow for autofill of bank Routing and Account numbers and I've definitely needed that often enough that I decided to check on it. Probably won't be the deal-breaker for whether or not I switch, but it sure would be nice if it was included.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know your thoughts about this @rroonnbb :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.