Auto-Update doesn't discover updates for 7.1.2

Damnatus
Damnatus
Community Member
edited December 2018 in Mac

Hi there,

I have just noticed, that my 1Password App is stuck on 7.1.2 and Auto-Update says that I'm up-to-date.
Before I manually update to the curremt version, I want to give the opportunity for you to check if there is a bigger issue.

Best

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Damnatus
    Damnatus
    Community Member

Didn't found this on my first search, but now over Google. Is holding back 7.2+ still in place? I have Safari 12.0.2.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@Damnatus If you're satisfied with using Safari 12.x, then go ahead and download the latest version of 1Password--7.2.4. Be aware that there is a new extension system in place. The ext. is now part of 1Password, so no more updating extensions in Safari. Other browsers still need the old type ext. Make sure after you install 7.2.x that the extension version number in Safari is the same ver. number as the App (and enabled). hth

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Damnatus: We haven't had other reports of people having difficulty updating recently, but I agree it would be best to install a fresh copy:

https://1password.com/downloads/

Something is probably just damaged in your case. Let me know how it goes.

• Damnatus
    Damnatus
    Community Member

@brenty I have installed the current version. I'll keep an eye on the updates to see if there are any issues. Before I updated, I have downloaded the 1Password troubleshooter and let it made a report, just in case you would've wanted to take a look.

With a software, that handles and contains such sensitive info, you get a bit faster worried on unexpected behavior. :(

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Damnatus - the reason you haven't gotten an update notification is because (as @danco noted), you're on a combination of macOS 10.13 (“High Sierra”) and 1Password 7 for Mac. The next update after 7.1.2 is version 7.2, and it contains the major change of removing the older-style .safariextz extension for Safari, and replacing it with the new Safari App Extension that version 12 of Safari requires. If you are on macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”), it ships with Safari 12, so you would have gotten this update notification. But because Safari 12 is an optional install for High Sierra, we don't know what version you're using. If you're still on Safari 11, and you upgraded to version 7.2 of 1Password for Mac, it would instantly cause 1Password not to work in your browser because of the new extension that ships with version 7.2. So we've been holding off on updating people whose OS version is still 10.13 until we see the adoption-rate of Safari 12 for that OS is higher. At some point, we'll "flip the switch" and just update everyone (and deal with the fallout of people who are still rocking 10.13 and Safari 11), but for now, we're still holding off.

That said, if you're already using Safari 12 (or you don't use Safari at all), then it's totally fine to manually update to the current version (7.2.4) -- as it sounds like you said you already did. Just grab the latest version from our downloads page and run it, but not before you Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu). Hope that helps! :)

• Damnatus
    Damnatus
    Community Member

@Lars Thanks for the explanation. Helps a lot! :blush:

As I got a 2011 Macbook Air, 10.14 is out of reach for me. :'(

It surprises me a bit that the updater doesn't know which Safari version is installed. I thought it would be checked besides the OS version. This is good to know! :)

I've had noticed that there are versions past 7.1 through a family member's Mac with 10.13.6 I check regularly as I'm one of the infamous family admins :chuffed:. As I have set it up in November for 1Password Families service, I installed of course the newest (7.2.x) version. But just now I noticed the discrepancy in the version I had (your software and service runs so smooth most of the time that I forget to check it sometimes 8-) ).

I don't know if it's feasible or desirable to implement a dependencies check in the updater or make a notification on pre-10.14 versions to inform the user that Safari 12 is required when offering 7.2. I'm sure you're going (have gone) through a lot of options regarding ease of use, technical capabilities and error rate, so I most likely don't tell anything new here. :p

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Damnatus

...infamous family admins.

:lol: You too? I do random IT for the entire family.

I've had noticed that there are versions past 7.1 through a family member's Mac with 10.13.6

You mean they've installed a later version? Or that later versions are available when you click "check for updates?"

I'm sure you're going (have gone) through a lot of options regarding ease of use, technical capabilities and error rate...

Indeed. ;)

And it's not that you're "not telling anything new" -- perhaps the main reason this forum exists is because we're quite aware we don't think of everything, and don't always have the perfect idea/answer/solution in our back pockets. So thanks for taking the time to stop by and participate by joining the conversation.

• Damnatus
    Damnatus
    Community Member

:lol: You too?

Yes!

I do random IT for the entire family.

Same. And some friends, too.

You mean they've installed a later version? Or that later versions are available when you click "check for updates?"

Actually no. I've installed it. But back then I haven't checked the version (even if its in the naming of the installer :D)

So thanks for taking the time to stop by and participate by joining the conversation.

It's a pleasure every time :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.