To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I made a clean install on my Mac (Mojave) and wanted to reinstall 1PW6, but can't find my license

JanJ
JanJ
Community Member

I used to run my 1PW6 license for a long time on different Mac OS versions. A few days ago I made a clean install on a new MacBook Pro and tried to reinstall 1PW 6.8.9 which I bought on the iTunes-store in 2014. The problem is, that I cannot find the license or a link to get my license?
Could you please help me, it is pretty urgent.

If you would like to, I can send you the invoice of my order.

cheers
Jan

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @JanJ! If you originally purchased 1Password 6 for Mac from the Mac App Store, then that's where you'll need to re-download/install it from. There is no license involved, as (like all Mac App Store software), it's tied to your Apple ID instead. To reinstall 1Password 6 for Mac, click your name in the lower left corner of the Mac App Store window on your Mac, then scroll backward through the past purchases until you find 1Password, and click to re-install.

A word of caution, however? If you're a Safari user, 1Password 6 for Mac will have a limited lifespan on macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”). Apple made significant changes to version 12 of Safari (which is what ships with Mojave), replacing the older-style .safariextz extensions that 1Password 6 for Mac uses with the newer Safari App Extension format. 1Password 7 for Mac uses this new format, but version 6 does not and likely never will, as it's already been retired to legacy status. For the moment, you can still install the older 4.7.3.90 extension that version 6 requires into Safari 12, but only directly from the Safari Extensions Gallery -- and Apple have said they plan to shutter the extensions gallery in the future. So unless you're Chrome (or Firefox) only (or willing to switch to one of those), at some point, 1Password 6 for Mac will stop working for you with Safari 12. It might be time to upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac.

• JanJ
    JanJ
    Community Member

hey Lars,
    I originally purchased it via the iTunes Store and not via the AppStore?!
    I am not quiet sure what happened since my last clean install last year in summer. Unfortunately I cannot remember what I did to reinstall 1PW the last time.
    I am not really concerned about the safari extension, I mostly use the 1PW mini from the Apple menu bar.

• JanJ
    JanJ
    Community Member

ok, I think I have found the problem. I bought the 1PW6 App with another Apple-ID in the Mac App Store, so I had to copy the app-file from an older backup to my new MacBook Pro and had to confirm to trust on another device which is running under the old apple-ID.
    Is it possible to change the purchase from my old Apple ID to my new one for future reinstallations?

• Is it possible to change the purchase from my old Apple ID to my new one for future reinstallations?

It is not. Apple doesn't have any mechanism to change which Apple ID purchases are associated with. Glad to hear you were able to get it sorted out, though. That said, 1Password 6 is retired at this point and is no longer being updated. You may want to consider upgrading to 1Password 7:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever | 1Password

1Password membership would be the best way to ensure you always have access to the latest versions of 1Password, as well as access to your 1Password data from all of your compatible devices. There are a number of other benefits as well which you can read about here:

About 1Password membership

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• JanJ
    JanJ
    Community Member

ok, thanks Ben. I would rather stay with my standalone version 6, but thanks anyway.

• Understood. Our recommendation would always be to keep your software up to date, especially 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.