1Password feature match to LastPass

Our company has started using 1Password Business. This products provides me with a 1Password Family account for free, so I decided to try and move to 1Password from LastPass to reduce the number of apps I have to use.

The migration of the data itself was very easy (export from LastPass as csv, import into 1Password).

However, I have run into several issues I have not been able to find solutions for:

1. Sharing passwords with external people: 1Password Family provides me with 5 individual accounts, perfect for my family of 5 (me, the wife, and 3 college aged kids). However, I do not have a way to share specific passwords or vaults with others (parents, friends, etc.) such that both parties can own the password (edit it). Guest sharing is not sufficient. This is something that LastPass allows you to do with anyone else who uses the product (you choose the level of control the other party has at time of sharing).

2. Moving logins: the Chrome extension I primarily use does not provide for a way to move a login from one vault to another. I have to use the Android app to copy the login to another vault and then delete it. This is something that easily done within LastPass when editing a login.

3. There is no way to see recently added logins or sort them by any other way than alphabetical. Again, this is a feature LastPass provides in the browser extension across all platforms.

4. Android app: the android app lack a quick tile to manually force a login attempt in situations where 1Password does not detect the app as valid target. This is specifically an issue with Kiwi (a chrome based) browser. This is another area where LastPass works easily.

I would love to be able to move off LastPass so that 1Password is the only product I use. But unless I can resolve all the items above I will have to backtrack and manage both products concurrently, which is painful.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Separately, I would also love to have a dark theme for 1Password across all platforms.

1Password Version: 7.0.9
Extension Version: 1.13.1
OS Version: Windows 10, Ubuntu 16.04
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@yk11: Thanks for getting in touch, and for giving 1Password a try. :)

1. It would certainly be nice to have a more flexible sharing feature, but it's not something we're going to do unless we can ensure its security. We are not going to put ourselves in a position of having the keys to people's data, so that makes it considerably more difficult than it would be otherwise. 1Password Families/Teams/Business memberships can offer intra-account sharing because public keys are exchanged between members as part of the team invite/onboarding process, so that we are never in a position to be able to decrypt anyone's data.
    2. 1Password X has no editing or item management capabilities, so it isn't possible for us to have a "move" option there at this time. Perhaps those are something we can develop in the future. But even now it's very easy to move or copy an item using the 1Password.com web interface, from the [ ↑ ] Share menu in an item's details -- no need to move to another device.
    3. Sorting options is something we offer in our desktop apps, but I'll let the team know you would like us to add that to others as well.
    4. I don't understand what "a quick tile to manually force a login attempt" means exactly, but we're very careful about not having 1Password fill in places it shouldn't to protect against phishing scams. If you'll let me know the specifics of what you're trying to do though we can discuss it further.
    • While we don't have plans to support "themes" or "skins" for 1Password, we support Mojave's dark UI in 1Password for Mac, and as other platforms adopt similar official standards and APIs we may do the same on those as well.

I hope this helps a bit, but if you have any other comments or questions about 1Password along the way, just let us know. Happy New Year! :)

• yk11
    yk11
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

@brenty: thanks for the feedback and a happy new year to you too!.

I understand that points 1 and 3 are topics that will take a while to be addressed (if at all).

Regarding points 2 and 4:

1. When in the web interface, I do not see the Share menu you are referring to.
      Here is a screenshot of what I see for my forum login (created yesterday):

2. The Android quick tile is a tile available in the pull-down menu that allows the user to manually indicate an action. This is especially useful in the case where LastPass (and thus 1Password as well) does not recognize the app. The use can force an action to scan the app/page to detect login/password fields and fill them in as well as associate the login with the app/page.

For the theme, I wish there was a general dark skin as I work across all platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac). An example would be Outlooks's or Skype's dark skins which work and look the same on all platforms.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @yk11,

So you're missing the share button that ought to be next to the favourite one, the star below the title.

This vault, is it a business vault? I'm wondering if permissions are why the icon is missing. If you try the same with a 1Password Families vault is the share icon still missing?

As for the Android part, we don't have a quick tile to the best of my knowledge but in my limited testing the fact that 1Password for Android doesn't automatically associate an app with a Login item is only a minor hurdle. Using Autofill I tap on a field I want 1Password to fill in an app and it provides the option in a small menu. I'll need to search the vault and then confirm that I want to use a particular Login item with this app at which point 1Password will add the association to it and any other Login items for the same domain. I believe Android's Autofill tells us when there is an appropriate field to fill so we're taking our cues from Android. Do you have an example app where you're unable to do this that we can test?

• yk11
    yk11
    Community Member

I was able to narrow down the missing Share menu to be a Linux specific problem: Google Chrome on Linux does not have it, while Google Chrome on Windows does.

An example app on Android would be Kiwi browser (a chrome based browser).

I appreciate your help and responses so far.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @yk11,

So I'll investigate the Kiwi browser and see what I can learn. For the Linux/Chrome oddity, can I ask what variant of Linux you use and whether it is the official Chrome browser or if it's a variant or even just a self built copy based on the Chromium source. I don't know what's happening there but I'm confident somebody on the team will want to investigate and try to reproduce as that isn't right at all.

• yk11
    yk11
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables,

I was able to resolve the Share menu issue. It was due to the button's html code being detected as a social button by a filter in an extension (uBlock Origin).

As it stands, the primary issue for me is the ability to share a vault with people outside of my family. As this requires them to have a paid account (there is no free 1Password account), it is not something that can be resolved.

Thank you for the help and I hope some of the feedback I provided improved the product (Android support, dark theme, sort options, etc.).

At this point you can consider this issue "resolved".

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I was able to resolve the Share menu issue. It was due to the button's html code being detected as a social button by a filter in an extension (uBlock Origin).

@yk11: Ah, thanks for the update. Glad you were able to get it to stop blocking your ability to use 1Password. :)

As it stands, the primary issue for me is the ability to share a vault with people outside of my family. As this requires them to have a paid account (there is no free 1Password account), it is not something that can be resolved.

Hmm. Not quite. Them having their own paid account would not help, as only people in your 1Password Families membership have access to the keys for vaults you share with them. Sharing with people outside of your family/team is not possible.

However, you can invite them to your family, either as full family members or...as guests, who have access to a single vault you share with them. :)

Thank you for the help and I hope some of the feedback I provided improved the product (Android support, dark theme, sort options, etc.). At this point you can consider this issue "resolved".

Likewise, thanks for your feedback! Enjoy 1Password! :chuffed:

• jan789
    jan789
    Community Member

While we don't have plans to support "themes" or "skins" for 1Password, we support Mojave's dark UI in 1Password for Mac, and as other platforms adopt similar official standards and APIs we may do the same on those as well.

Hi, this is an accessibility issue. Some users find white/ light/ bright areas too bright to see well. Conversely, some users need high-contrast schemes to see well. Will you reconsider adding themes?

A good "dark" theme should make everything in moderate, muddy pale, deep, or dark colors for accessibility, or support "invert colors but not photos", and not just have some dark frames/accents for "coolness".
    I think high-contrast schemes are better understood.

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

Hey @jan789!

Thanks for sharing your concerns. While accessibility isn't our primary focus right now, it's an area that we'll definitely have to into some time in the future. I don't know what will happen further down the line, but I can't imagine color schemes being left untouched once we fully enter the accessibility territory.

This discussion has been closed.