Touch ID not working on MacBookPro running Mojave

Options
2»

Comments

• Kjlasky
    Kjlasky
    Community Member
    Options

Nope. Not in trash or junk. Please check my address, I do not want to put it out on forum.

• Ben
    Options

@Kjlasky

We're emailing the same email address as you have registered here on the forum. You can see which address that is in your profile:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/profile/edit/Kjlasky

It is also the same email address that you have been emailing us from. I've again re-sent the emails from both Duncan and Lars to you. They'll be coming from support@agilebits.com. Please make sure your email account is set up to allow mail from that address. Sometimes adding it to your contacts can help.

Ben

• Kjlasky
    Kjlasky
    Community Member
    Options

I receive the emails that say you replied to my forum post but do not receive any emails other than that. This is crazy already! I do not understand why I am not getting your emails. You are on my contact list. Please try responding to my email. Do you have my phone # on my account?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kjlasky - it sounds as if either you or your email provider may have some filters in place that are disallowing our emails from our support email address to come through. If you have a different email address you can use, please send a follow-up email to the same address you used for the emails you've already sent (support+mac@1password.com)? Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your email before sending it:

[#GCM-56761-912]

This will link your email to the current thread. Let me know here when you've done that. Thanks, and sorry for the confusion.

• Kjlasky
    Kjlasky
    Community Member
    Options

Just did it

• Kjlasky
    Kjlasky
    Community Member
    Options

I sent you the email you requested with the # in the subject line from another email address of mine.
    Seems like you are having problems there? Can you please give me some links to fix my problem or call me. I've spent all day waiting to hear from you and have not even received a suggestion of help! Please troubleshoot with me!

• Kjlasky
    Kjlasky
    Community Member
    Options

Can someone please help me with my Touch ID problem?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kjlasky: Sorry, this is not a chat room. We need to reply to people's messages in the order in which they're received. I think that's fair, but I do apologize if it means you need to wait in the mean time while we respond to others that have been waiting longer than a few hours. We'll continue the conversation via email as soon as we're able, rather than trying to have a conversation in multiple places, since that makes everyone have to wait longer -- including you. Thanks for understanding.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just to clarify, we cannot fix Touch ID. Only Apple has any control over the software and hardware involved. We're happy to help point people in the right direction if it's something we've seen before, but ultimately it may be necessary to contact Apple.

In case it helps anyone, the following can often resolve Touch ID issues:

1. Disable Touch ID in 1Password
    2. Remove fingerprints and disable Touch ID in System Preferences
    3. Restart your Mac
    4. Setup Touch ID again in macOS and 1Password

If it still isn't working, that's because your Keychain data does not match your Secure Enclave (which 1Password 7 uses for Touch ID security). Unfortunately using Migration Assistant, restoring from Time Machine, and updating macOS can cause this. I'd encourage you to reach out to Apple about it, since those are not things we have control over. But this has helped others get out of a similar state:

1. MAKE A FULL DISK BACKUP SO YOU DO NOT LOSE IMPORTANT DATA
    2. Open Terminal and enter this command: mv ~/Library/Keychains ~/Desktop
      Restart the Mac.
      macOS should regenerate the Keychain after restarting, so that it includes the correct Secure Enclave data that Touch ID support depends on. It’s worthwhile to retain the Keychains folder that was moved to the Desktop in case it has any data that needs to be recovered.

The only other option that we know of would be installing the OS from scratch. If it does not work, or if you're uncomfortable doing this yourself in the first place, you will need to seek assistance from Apple.

• friedar
    friedar
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars my issue has resolved itself, so I am able to use touch ID again. I quit the program and restarted it, logged in manually, and then was able to use touch ID as before. I have no idea why this did not work previously, yet worked this morning as I prepared to answer this thread.
    Would it still help to send a diagnostic report?

• Ben
    Options

@friedar

I'm glad to hear it is working now. A diagnostic report is a snapshot in time, so if the problem isn't happening currently it is unlikely a report would provide us with any valuable information. That said, if you do have problems with this again in the future (fingers crossed that you don't) please generate a report while you're seeing the symptoms. Thanks. :)

Ben

• rpf13
    rpf13
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, I have the same issue. After I had to change my password, touch ID for 1Password is no longer available. I have already disabled touch ID for 1Password, disabled touch id on my Mac, reboot and set it up again, but no luck.
    It's quite ugly. Touch ID works for all other applications and logins, only 1Password has the issue...
    How to solve this? Would it help to uninstall 1Password? I'm using the subscription model, not the standalone version...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @rpf13! I'm sorry for the trouble. No, unfortunately, re-installing 1Password won't help you here. The problem has to do with the way in which we interact with the Touch ID mechanism on macOS, which is different from virtually all other apps that use it. One of our developers, rudy, explains it a little further in this earlier thread, if you're interested. But the long and short of it is that you'll need to follow the above instructions (in the "spoiler" section) in order to re-establish Touch ID functionality with 1Password 7 for Mac. Let us know if you have any questions.

• rpf13
    rpf13
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars thanks for the help. Good news, it has worked out with completely regenerate the keychain with mv ~/Library/Keychains ~/Desktop.
    One hint, maybe useful for others. I had tried this before, but instead of moving the WHOLE Keychains directory, I had only created a new backup folder within /Library/Keychains and moved the login keychain there. However, this is not enough. OS X will only regenerate a complete new keychain, if you move/delete the whole directory as it is shown in the "spoiler" section of this thread.

Thanks for the support and keep on doing great improvements with 1Password

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rpf13 - excellent! I'm glad to hear you were able to get this solved, and yes, your advice is well-taken. You do indeed need to move the entire thing. It's also a good idea to keep it around for a bit, in case you discover you need any of the items from it (or actually, exporting any needed items first, before moving to Desktop, is an even better idea). Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.