1Password 7.3.652 Beta 8/RC1 is out with the new item editor!

Hi guys,

For 1Password 7.3 Beta 8 and potentially our first release candidate, we've refreshed the look for the item editor which also comes with new features such as the ability to reorder your custom sections now. We've also added the ability to change your standalone vault's passwords and more.

[NEW] Refreshed the item editor's design. {OPW-3685}
[NEW] New item editor now has up/down buttons to help reorder your fields and sections. {OPW-2171}
[NEW] Yes, you read that correctly, 1Password now supports reordering custom sections in the item editor. {OPW-2171}
[NEW] Quickly customize your field type and/or delete fields by using the keyboard shortcut Shift + Enter .
[NEW] Change your standalone vault's password by right-clicking on it in the vault sidebar to select Edit vault... and enter the new password for it. {OPW-3655}
[NEW] Type in Window option is now an option in any field's context menu.
[IMPROVED] We no longer restore previous clipboard content when clearing the clipboard. For filling Logins with TOTP, we will clear the clipboard after the TOTP expires (give or take 2 seconds) or sooner if the clipboard settings kicks in first. {OPW-3155}
[IMPROVED] Accessibility support for the new keyboard shortcut editor. {OPW-3669}
[IMPROVED] Move to Trash button has been moved to the bottom of the item. {OPW-OPW-3685}
[IMPROVED] When changing the password for standalone vaults, 1Password will create a backup of the vault prior to the password change. {OPW-3655}
[IMPROVED] Polished the look of 1Password installer when reporting installer-related issues. {OPW-3682}
[IMPROVED] Translation updates.
[FIXED] Changing the item's custom icon via clipboard would cause 1Password to crash if the image is not of our supported image formats. {OPW-3684}
[FIXED] After changing the language in 1Password, adding a new custom field would auto-label fields in English instead of the chosen language. {OPW-3640}
[FIXED] Certain template fields was showing the inline password generator that was not needed such as PIN fields. {OPW-3688}

Comments

• nikgreen
    nikgreen
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

[NEW] New item editor now has up/down buttons to help reorder your fields and sections. {OPW-2171}

Never has a feature been more gratefully received. This is one of the bugbears we have had with the custom templates that we are employing.

Could I suggest that you look at the form formatting though?

By putting the field under the label you are creating a lot of white space to the right of the page, and if like us, you are using long custom forms, greatly increasing the amount of scrolling to view all details

• Hi @nikgreen,

Thanks for the feedback.

Yep, we're still trying to figure a better approach to that. Almost all of our apps are structured the same way now, two lines and it fits better when you don't have it in large window size like that (think of 1Password mini when it'll gain the ability to view/edit the item's details).

It would be nice to maintain the same line until you resize to a narrower view, we can then move to two-lines view. We'll keep working on this.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

@MikeT, can you still put the release number in the title of RC posts? I had to go look at the release notes to be sure we were talking about 652. :chuffed: I was pretty sure it was but with all the changes, pulled releases, and other things recently....

• Sure, I've updated the title. It's 7.3.652.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member

@MikeT - Re: Credit card types - yes, I can confirm this is working as intended in the new Beta, and is looking good - thanks :chuffed: :+1:

Also, thanks to your 1Password team for "1Password now supports reordering custom sections". For someone like me who's prone to forgetting the keyboard shortcut for this ability, this is a great addition :+1:

• Thanks for your kind words, @pbryanw! I actually had no idea those keyboard shortcuts were a thing until I accidentally lied to someone once and Mike kindly corrected me. Definitely not the most discoverable thing in the world and I'm glad to see something simpler in y'all's hands (and mine for that matter 😂). I hope the new release continues to delight and keep the feedback coming. :chuffed:

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Hey,

Thank you so much for adding the option to change the password :lol: , finally I don't need 1P4 anymore :chuffed:
    BTW, maybe it's just not implemented up to now, but the "Edit vault..."-button in the 1Pmini does nothing :+1:

• palmino
    palmino
    Community Member

@MikeT

It would be nice to maintain the same line until you resize to a narrower view, we can then move to two-lines view. We'll keep working on this.

That's a really good idea I'd like to support :)

• MikeT
    edited January 2019

Hi guys,

@lumarel,

Thanks for reporting it, it is not yet implemented in 1Password mini.

Please check in the main interface, can you confirm it is working there?

@palmino

That's a really good idea I'd like to support :)

Sadly, it is a bit more work than we can spare for 7.3 but it is something we'll try in a future update. We made a small adjustment to center the view a bit when it is too wide.

• nikgreen
    nikgreen
    Community Member

Hi again

I've been using the beta the last couple of days and certainly for us, the new formatting is going to be a real issue. One of the motivators of us moving to 1Password for Business was the ability to use custom forms, something that LastPass which was our previous password manager, sucked at.

We use these to create secure, audited server builds forms for our Support team. These may extend to several pages (screens) in depth.

Whilst the new formatting that uses rules under section heads is welcomed as it gives more definition, the decision to move the field layout from

Label: Value

to

Label
    Value

is really going to annoy the hell of my users.

As you can see on my [redacted] screenshot the new beta version displays less data per screen than the current 7.2 version. (i did have to do a bit of strectching of the 7.2 image as they were taken with different screen resolutions) but I hope you get the idea.

Across several pages, thats quite a bit of wastage.

I'll be the first to admit that we are using 1Password in a way that it possibly wasn't intended for in the main, but the customs forms are avaiable and I suspect other customers are using in a similar way.

If you want me to log this separately or provide more info let me know.

Cheers

• Hi @nikgreen,

We appreciate the feedback! We do agree there is slightly less information density than there was before but the design isn't final for sure and it will be improved continuously. There are a lot of spacing adjustments we have to make but we have to design in a way that the view is still comfortable to use on a touch screen.

We'd love to dynamically change the layout depending on the width but for now, this is what'll stay in 1Password 7.3 because we actually didn't just redesign it, we rebuilt the rendering method behind it as well. We can now do more than before but we can't hold this back and spend many more months on perfecting for 1% but what we can do is ship frequent updates to keep polishing it.

I'll be the first to admit that we are using 1Password in a way that it possibly wasn't intended for in the main, but the customs forms are avaiable and I suspect other customers are using in a similar way.

Custom templates is still a beta feature, it is definitely not widely used but this applies to any templates, not just custom.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT,

In the main interface it works without any problems :+1:

• Hi @lumarel,

Great! We've fixed that issue, it should be in the next beta or stable release.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Custom templates is still a beta feature, it is definitely not widely used but this applies to any templates, not just custom.

Don't see them. Is that because I'm using 1Password for Families?

• Yes, it is limited to 1Password Business/Teams accounts at the moment.

• 1Password 7.3 final release candidate has been released.

Closing to move any discussions in that thread.

This discussion has been closed.