why does it take so long to update/sync the database. takes forever to repaint the screen

Options

when i edit an item, why does it take so long to sync the database. and the program seems to be frozen. why not post a small window saying wait for the sync to occur, or allow the user to manually sync at their own, or when the program is idle. the sync delay literally sucks because the user doesn't know if the program is locked, or in some sort of loop. the delay in repainting the main large center window is also very annoying during the sync process. do the sync in the background if your so good at programming.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: .2.617
OS Version: win10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:request a feature: fix the delay time it takes to update/sync the database.

Comments

• Hi @djmares,

Thanks for reporting this.

Are you using 1Password 7.2 with standalone vaults?

If yes, we have mostly addressed these issues in the upcoming 1Password 7.3 release, the beta builds are available if you want to give it a try.

• djmares
    djmares
    Community Member
    Options

yes i'm using 7.2.617 with both stand alone and cloud. (i still don't trust ANY cloud storage).
    i'll wait till the beta is out of beta. then see what happens.

• Sounds like a plan, @djmares! For what it's worth, we're hoping that will be fairly soon, barring any show stoppers, so do keep an eye out. :chuffed:

• saturnonearth
    saturnonearth
    Community Member
    Options

Opening 1Password 7 can take up to 15-20 seconds to open once clicked. Could this be the syncing causing this? This also affects the filling of usernames/passwords using the chrome extension with the vault-mini, making the experience un-usable.

1Password Version: 7.2.617
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Hi @saturnonearth,

I've merged your post into the other thread you opened before.

It could be, we don't have enough information to work from your post. If you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, we can look at it. If it is, it's improved in 1Password 7.3 already in addition to the last two smaller updates.

Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• saturnonearth
    saturnonearth
    Community Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

Ok I have sent the report, and will download the beta (7.3) to try it out, and report back to see if it helps at all.

Edit: This behavior still exists on the beta. To reproduce, Exit out of 1Password, so it is still open in windows, go to search bar on left bottom side (windows 10), type 1password, hit Enter. It can take 10-25 seconds to open.

• Thanks for the diagnostics, @saturnonearth! It does look like your syncs are taking a fairly long time so it's quite possible this is the cause, but in that case you should see things calm down after a time and start running more quickly. Syncs aren't constant – they happen when you first unlock and after you make a change, for example, but shouldn't cause a permanent slowdown.

We're aware of these issues for some folks and are actually gearing up to start working on them. They were more pervasive with standalone vaults, so that what was tackled in 7.3. We still need to work on sync for 1Password accounts so it's not surprising you're not seeing improvements. I'd like to take a closer look at your diagnostics before blaming sync for sure, however, and I don't want to fragment our conversation so hang tight for a bit. I'll make sure to take some time to look them over and I'll get back to you via e-mail as soon as I'm able. :chuffed:

• saturnonearth
    saturnonearth
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response! It could be the sync, but it seems to happen pretty consistently whenever I "open" the app. Does closing the app (clicking the X in the top right), cause it to re-sync when re-opening? (opening manually, or prompting it via the Chrome Extension) It seems to stay in the background so I assumed it didn't need to sync so much, especially if I'm not changing anything. Hope that makes sense?

• djmares
    djmares
    Community Member
    Options

why not include in an update, a manual user initiated sync. that way when the user knows the program will be idle, they can inititate the sync which takes time. OR: at least when syncing, and the program is "frozen" put a notice on the screen that sync is occurring, and please wait.

• @saturnonearth: I know I've replied to you since this post, so I'll just seize this opportunity to let you know that I'm doing some digging following your most recent testing and I'll get back to you with some ideas as soon as I've got 'em. For the sake of others coming to this thread, I'll just note that sync wasn't likely the culprit in this case, so if y'all are having problems you believe are sync-related, it would be best to post a comment in another thread discussing those issues or start a new one.

@dmares: To answer your question, I'll point you to the last section of my comment here that covers why we've been resistant to the idea of manual sync. The root issue being discussed in that thread is a bit different, but the reasoning remains roughly the same. To add to that as well, in the specific case of the non-responsive UI, the solution is not to put the onus of sync on y'all, it's for us to fix the app so sync doesn't lock up your app for an extended period. That's something we plan to start working on very soon, so I'm not saying the current state of things is working as we want it to – it's not – but our solution will be to fix the root problem so that 1Password works as we want it to, not to create a potentially confusing workaround. That does mean this will take a bit of time, but I hope you agree actually fixing the issue is the better choice. :wink:

This discussion has been closed.