Stop opening tabs every time I log in to the browser extension, it's extremely disruptive.

First, thanks for 1 password. It's really great for work and personal use. However, there is one aspect of the browser extension that is rather infuriating. In the 1Password X extension (in Chrome for sure, this behavior is also in Firefox iirc), any time I log in to my vault, the extension completely disrupts what I am doing by plopping a new tab with my 1password.com login page onto the top of my browsers tab stack. It's like hey, never mind what you were doing, I the password extension feel it's more important to show you a login page to a service that you just logged into. The entire point of the extension is to not have this form of disruption. This is truly agonizing and there does not seem to be a way to turn it off in the settings.

1Password Version: N/A 1Password X extension only
Extension Version: 1.13.2
OS Version: Linux - Debian Buster
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Stop opening tabs every time I log in to the browser extension, it's extremely disruptive.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rygoo: Thanks for getting in touch! I'm glad you're mostly enjoying 1Password. :) What you're describing is something I only see when I've just installed 1Password X, haven't yet set it up with any account(s), or reset something in my browser -- all of which I do not infrequently in the process testing things in different places. Are you doing anything like that? If so, you should be able to resolve the issue by not making 1Password X go back into "setup mode". Otherwise, if something is just hung up, removing and reinstalling a fresh copy of 1Password X should do the trick. Let me know either way. :)

• timr
    timr
    Community Member

I'm also having this issue and it's really frustrating. My whole team is having the same issue. Do you have suggestions for solving it? I'm not sure what you mean by setup mode.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @timr! Thanks for letting us know. I'm wondering if 1Password is trying to get you to authenticate your account. For example, if you're required to enter MFA, a new tab will open. Would you mind sharing your console log with us to see if that gives me any hints as to where it's coming from? We've got a guide that explains how to grab your log here.

• timr
    timr
    Community Member

Now that you mention it we have all just set up MFA so it's likely that's the cause. However we're able to access our 1Password accounts without doing the second stage of MFA so either MFA isn't working as expected or the tab which is opening is redundant...I would think? Happy to share my console log. I can't seem to attach a file here. Can I email it to you?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@timr – Something isn't working right, so I'm curious to see your log. You can absolutely send an email to support+x@1password.com. Please include a link to this forum post as well as your forum username so we can match everything up. I'll let you know what we find.

• alex235
    alex235
    Community Member

I have exactly the same behaviour after activating 2FA. The strange thing is that I don't have to login for the browser extension to work, but the new tab opens nevertheless. This is kind of frightening as it's like timr said, either there is some kind of severe bug (for the extension is working without 2FA) or there is an annoying unnecessary behaviour with the 2nd tab.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@alex235:

Can you please email us the logs to support+x@1password.com, as per kaitlyn's instructions? Thank you!

• alex235
    alex235
    Community Member

I did, but there was no response afterwards. What happened?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

I'm so sorry, @alex235. We fairly recently changed our auto-responder to require a reply before an email makes it to our inboxes, so I didn't see yours. I just replied, though, so I'll help you out via email now that we've got that line of communication going.

ref: DNL-65982-268

This discussion has been closed.