To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Where is the license version?

Coach
Coach
Community Member

I have been told that their is a license version of 1password 7 for download on your website but damned if I can find it. All I see is the subscription version. If I already have a licensed version purchased from the mac app store, why can't I simply upgrade to this supposed new version?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Mojave
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I have been told that their is a license version of 1password 7 for download on your website but damned if I can find it. All I see is the subscription version.

@Coach: There is no "license version", as the app works with either standalone licenses and 1Password membership subscriptions:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

If I already have a licensed version purchased from the mac app store, why can't I simply upgrade to this supposed new version?

Because you didn't pay for the new version. You're only licensed for the version you actually purchased. You can download it from our website though, and you'll have the option to purchase within the app to remove the read-only limitation.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• @Coach

In-version updates are included with a license. Upgrades are a separate purchase. We actually haven't changed in that regard; that's the same as it's always been. Membership, which is a newer offering, and is the only offering on our marketing pages because it is the best and recommended way to use 1Password, does include upgrades.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019

@Coach: Given that you're getting help from at least four different 1Password team members currently, I'd suggest that you're getting what you paid for as far as "tech support/customer service". Certainly we're not perfect and there's always room for improvement, but we're always happy to help in any way we can. So while there are costs associated with our product, that's what pays for people to build it, test it, and offer support on an ongoing basis. We took the time to create the new hosted service because licensing and sync have long been pain points for users. You'd have to configure things across all your devices, and keep track of which versions you bought, etc. Being able to just sign into an account to authorize the app and access your data there is a much better experience, and one that most people seem to prefer, so I'm glad we have the technology to offer that today. And if you have any questions, just ask -- but via either email or here in the forum, since it slows down the support process for everyone, trying to communicate in multiple places at once. Cheers! :)

ref: VNI-47752-124

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I hear you. It can be confusing since there are two very different ways to use 1Password. If we were just starting out three years ago, there would probably just be one: memberships, since they're much easier and meet most people's expectations. We certainly could have gone all-in on that to simplify things going forward, but at the same time the "standalone" model has been around for over a decade and a lot of people are used to that as a result. We didn't want to force everyone already using 1Password to switch to that if they didn't want to, so we have both. We only market memberships now because marketing both was even more confusing, with thousands of people buying a license and being confused/frustrated/angry that they couldn't use it on all their devices. So it's less in-your-face-confusing than it was a couple years ago, but it's also more complex than it could be if we dropped "standalone" altogether. I'm sorry that's caused some hiccups for you, but we're here to help you get sorted. Let me know if there's anything I can do for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.