Organizing Entries Into Vaults

RonHeiby
RonHeiby
Community Member

I use a "To-Triage" vault as the default location for new logins and such. That way, I can get new things created and into 1Password quickly, and then figure out at my leisure whether a given item is of no interest to my wife (Personal vault), is of interest to her (maybe Shared vault), would be something our executor would need to have access to (Executor vault), etc.

Usually, I do this fairly soon after creating new entries. But, today, sitting down to do it after the holidays, I found myself with over a dozen new items to be organized.

I had hoped that it would be a simple matter of going to each one, edit, change vault, save (since CTRL-E to save still doesn't update the vault).

But, as it turns out, a couple of extra steps / clicks are required. Because 1Password seems to think that if I change the vault of an item, that means that I want to stop looking at the vault I had been looking at, and instead be looking at the vault to which I just moved this item.

I think that's wrong. I think that my chosen vault should still be what I'm looking at in the item list, and when I choose a different item, that's when the item I had been looking at should no longer be visible.

Rereading this, I think my description is a bit convoluted, but I don't really see how to make it more clear. Let me know if it doesn't make sense and I'll try to clarify any point(s) of confusion.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Families
Referrer: forum-search:vault change

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, when you switch to a specific vault to display, 1Password shows only its contents. I understand what you mean, and I can sympathize, but we haven't had similar feedback from others and 1Password has worked this way for years now. I don't think your use case is typical, but it's an interesting one, so I'm glad you brought it up. Perhaps it's something we can better accommodate in the future. Thank you! :)

• RonHeiby
    RonHeiby
    Community Member

I was afraid of that. I think you've missed my point.

When I move an item to a different vault, I am not intentionally switching to a different specific vault to display. In my opinion, the bug is that moving an item to a different vault should not switch the vault being displayed.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@RonHeiby - I can't speak for brenty (who's away just now) regarding what he understood, but I think I must be missing something. If you have an item in one vault (say "Triage,") and you control-click (or right-click) it in the item list and choose Move to Vault > (vault name), does it not move the item while still leaving you in the "Triage" vault? It does for me, in my 7.1.2/10.13.6 setup.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019

@RonHeiby, @Lars: I feel silly now for missing this earlier...but it looks like both of you are running an outdated version of 1Password. 7.2.4 is available:

https://1password.com/downloads/

I'm not sure that has any bearing on this, but I was definitely looking at the latest version here, and it's possible that a bug is responsible for the fact that the three of us are not all experiencing the same things, if not a misunderstanding.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@RonHeiby and @brenty - I'm not running an outdated version of 1Password, and I couldn't reproduce this at all on my 7.2.4 setup on Mojave, which made me think the issue may have been solved by an update between 7.1.2 and current. So just to be thorough I went back to a virtual machine setup with 10.13.6 and laboriously uninstalled 7.2.x and removed everything from the Library folder for it, and RE installed 7.1.2 to match Ron's system exactly — and it STILL worked correctly in my testing on that setup. So I'd say this is likely something unique to Ron's specific setup.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ahh gotcha.

• RonHeiby
    RonHeiby
    Community Member

Well, I suppose that it might be something fixed since Version 7.1.2. I'm generally pretty good about checking for updates and installing them. I think my only real exception to that is delaying major MacOS updates, to make sure others have the "opportunity" to find app incompatibilities before me.

So, why am I running an out-of-date version of 1Password? I don't know the fundamental reason, but the proximate cause is that when I tell 1Password to "Check for Updates...", I get a popup that says, "You are up to date" and "Thank you for running the latest version of 1Password!"

So, huh?

I haven't intentionally done something weird / unique to my setup. But I do have several vaults, most of which are part of "All Vaults". Just in case I wasn't sufficiently clear about how to reproduce, here is what I hope is a simplified set of steps.

1. Choose to view a single vault, not "All Vaults".
    2. Select a login entry from those displayed.
    3. Select the "Edit" button.
    4. Change the entry's vault to a different one.
    5. Select "Save" button.

At this point, you should see that 1Password has selected to display the vault that the item was changed to in step #4, rather than the vault that was originally chosen in Step #1.

This seems to be the case, whether the individual vaults involved are part of "All Vaults" or not. But we are talking about when viewing a single vault at a time, not "All Vaults".

I have not done much looking at whether this happens for types of items other than logins, but I did one test on a secure note, and it behaved the same.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019

@RonHeiby - right. The reason 1Password's updater is not offering you any newer version than 7.1.2 is because you're still on macOS 10.13 (“High Sierra”, which shipped with Safari 11). You can install Safari 12 onto High Sierra...but as of yet many people still rocking that older OS have not done so.

Why is this significant? Because Apple completely changed the extensions format for Safari in version 12. The old style we've all become accustomed to using, .safariextz, has been replaced in Safari 12 by the all-new Safari App Extension format. To keep pace with the fact that most people are switching over to macOS 10.14 (“Mojave," which ships with Safari 12), version 7.2 was the first version of 1Password 7 for Mac to ship with the newer Safari App Extension and without even the ability to use the older-style .safariextz extensions.

The next update after 7.1.2 was (or in your case, will be) 7.2. That means, if you're still using Safari 11, the moment you install version 7.2 of 1Password for Mac, you will not be able to use 1Password in Safari. That's a situation we'd prefer hundreds of thousands of Mac users to not experience. :) If you ARE already using Safari 12, then feel free to manually download the latest version of 1Password 7 for Mac, direct from our downloads page. If not, however, you'll probably want to wait.

Just in case I wasn't sufficiently clear about how to reproduce, here is what I hope is a simplified set of steps.

Ahhhh, that'll be it, then. There are a number of ways to go about certain things in 1Password, and not all of them behave identically, because the developers have to make some assumptions about what the user intends when (s)he does certain things. In my response to you above, what I said I had been doing, both in my own "production" setup of the most-current macOS and 1Password version as well as my artificial VM setup of 10.13.6 and 7.1.2 of 1Password for Mac was right-clicking (or control-clicking) an item in the vault list ("Triage" or whatever vault you're in), then choosing Move to Vault > (name of desired destination vault). That's materially different from what you're doing, which is heading into the item details of the item in question, clicking Edit and changing the vault in the drop-down for the item itself.

Neither of these ways is necessarily right (or even preferred), and neither is necessarily bad, they just have different assumptions associated with them. In the way I was doing it, you can command-click or shift-click to select multiple records, and move them ALL at the same time, whereas your method by definition is one-at-a-time. If you're an efficiency fan, doing it my way could potentially save you many clicks of the Edit and drop-down vault buttons in multiple records. The assumption when doing it my way, is that you are working at the vault level -- meaning, that when you finish doing whatever it is you're doing to one or more items in the item list for the vault, you'll want to remain in the vault you're viewing. By contrast, the assumption when you're viewing/working within a single item (as you were doing) is that your focus is on the item, not the vault...and so focus shifts to follow the item (since that's what you're working with), not the vault. For your purposes, I'd recommend you do things the way both brenty and I were doing them (and assumed you were); you'll likely find it faster and you won't experience the shift of vault when you change an item's vault in the detail view. That's (one of the reasons) why this is the recommended method in our static support pages, as well.

• RonHeiby
    RonHeiby
    Community Member

Well, as it happens, I was feeling pretty good about things having been updated for Mojave about a week ago and planned to update my Mac and my wife's last weekend. Then life happened. So we're looking at that update this weekend.

Doh! Well, of course that way makes more sense. Clearly, I have not been right-clicking nearly enough things. :-)

I bet that if I looked hard, I'd find that in the "Take Control" book I've been meaning to read. Thanks for letting me know about that method. It's clearly better for what I'm doing.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@RonHeiby - glad I could help! This program isn't the most complicated ever, but there are enough options and levels to it that even old hands sometimes discover something they didn't know previously. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@RonHeiby: Hopefully all goes smoothly in life, and then in updating as well! A big thanks to you and Lars for following up here to solve the mystery for me. I'm sorry for not catching that earlier!

This discussion has been closed.